Lol,references.

Hi!I've been playing these games since they came out,and I was wondering what references you guys noticed?My favorite was the Frantics reference in episode four.

(is hitting Bear holding a shark.)
Strong Bad:And a boot to the head!And another one for Jenny and the wimp!

Signed,
The new member Jordstar

Comments

• edited January 2009
    yes, i did! sbcg4ap episode 1:
    When Homestar is on the phone with Marzipan, the way he says, "Yes? Yes. Yes. Yes? Noo! Yes. Yes?" is a reference to episode 4 of Sam & Max Season One, where Sam answers a phone with the Commissioner and says that in the same way.
  • edited January 2009
    I love all the video game refs in 8BIE.
  • edited January 2009
    Not to mention Strong Bad calling Homestar a "Pinball Wizard" in ep. 5, and "All work and no play makes Gel-Arshie a dull boy.", also in ep. 5.
  • edited January 2009
    SB: I think the fan is broken. Can I get some fan service? Anyone?

I think its some thing like that anyway.
  • edited January 2009
    I loved when Homestar said "Hey Listen!" in 8BIE.
  • edited January 2009
    I liked it when he said Yatta! He was referencing Heroes right?
  • edited January 2009
    In Roomisode 1 I liked the LifeAlert ref on the phone.
  • edited January 2009
    I liked it when he said Yatta! He was referencing Heroes right?

That's Chun-Li's winning catchphrase, it's japanese for "I did it!":D
  • edited January 2009
    The max shirt is my favorite reference.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    The pixelated graphic of the Videlectrix guys is, I believe, a reference to the way a pair of Sierra designers used to depict themselves in Space Quest as the two guys from andromeda. At least that's what it immediately reminded me of when I saw it.
  • edited January 2009
    If you ever watched Heroes, one of the characters, a Japanese guy called Hiro says that. But he's a nerd, so he was probably referencing SF but I didn't realize.
  • edited January 2009
    "Yatta" is a real Japanese word. Doesn't have to be referencing anything other than Japaneseness.
  • edited January 2009
    I laughed at the Sam & Max reference when you call the Commissioner on the phone in Dangeresque 3. "Stupid telemarketers..."
  • edited January 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    "Yatta" is a real Japanese word. Doesn't have to be referencing anything other than Japaneseness.

Yup, it is, but there are other Street Fighter in the same chapter like Homestar saying he has beaten Street Masher, Street Masher 2 and Street Masher 2: Slightly Different Costumes Edition or the "Round 1... FIGHT!" voiceover when you use Joe with the snakes, so that's most likely what they were thinking when they wrote that :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Is "Round 1... Fight" a reference to Street Fighter specifically, or to every fighting game ever? (not to mention: real life boxing)
  • edited January 2009
    Hm, do they actually say "Round X... fight" out loud in real life boxing? I can only remember the bell in the matches I've seen... Anyways, yeah, Mortal Kombat and many others use it as well, so nevermind that one.
  • edited January 2009
    Just another thing about people thinking "Yatta!" being specificly a SF refrence, Its used in the "Tales of..." series, and Zack & Wiki.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm sure it's used in a wide variety of Japanese things!
  • edited January 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I'm sure it's used in a wide variety of Japanese things!

I believe if you won a battle in Digimon World you'd here a "Yatta" from the guy. Is it a reference to that?
  • edited January 2009
    Yes. That must be it.

(In all honesty, it's most likely a Street Fighter reference, if anything: Homestar's pronunciation and emphasis suggest a Chun-li impression)
  • edited January 2009
    I like how the Topplegangers, those biker/mercenaries, seem to be references to the Dreadnoks.
  • edited January 2009
    I think "Yatta!" is more or less a general Japanese reference, without regard to a single source, seeing as it just means "I/We did it!"
  • edited January 2009
    Well I guess it can be funny to anyone!
  • edited January 2009
    I heard Strong Bad say "I'll love it,and pet it,and call it george." in front of one of the stages in BotB,Which is a refrence to grunts in halo.
  • edited January 2009
    Jordstar wrote: »
    I heard Strong Bad say "I'll love it,and pet it,and call it george." in front of one of the stages in BotB,Which is a refrence to grunts in halo.
    No, it's not from Halo.

(And for the record, "Yatta!" wasn't a reference to anything in particular, either.)
  • edited January 2009
    (And for the record, "Yatta!" wasn't a reference to anything in particular, either.)

That was what I was trying to say. It was a reference to Japan and Japanese culture in general, and not any one game or show in particular.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, using the modern definitions of the words, I'd say that while it is simply a word in an other language(Japanese), since many video games are highly Japanese it seems to be a reference to Japanese culture in video games.
  • edited January 2009
    Holyxion wrote: »
    Well, using the modern definitions of the words, I'd say that while it is simply a word in an other language(Japanese), since many video games are highly Japanese[Authers noot; bad grammer} it seems to be a reference to Japanese culture in video games.

But it's not just in Video Games. Saying "Yatta!" is a reference to Japanese Culture in Video Games is like saying "Groovy!" is a reference to 60's hippie culture in popular music: you're missing a lot of other media.
  • edited January 2009
    Plus the 20X6 front page at H*R.com has anime-Marzipan jump out and say "Yatta!" when you hover over the characters button. Yatta, won't we?
  • edited January 2009
    Well yeah, but what I was saying was that just because it's a word in Japanese doesn't mean it's a reference to Japanese culture in any way, and that because of the context it references Japanese culture in video games. Though for the record, 20X6 Marzipan was the first thing i thought of when I heard it.
  • edited January 2009
    8 bit is enough is a ref to the show 8 is enough,
  • edited January 2009
    The reference to Ocarina of Time, "Hey! Listen!" in episode five.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.