DS

Wouldn't it be cool if there was SBCG4AP on the DS (or DSIWare...) because it is point and click and wouldn't that be perfect for the DS?

Comments

• edited January 2009
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it would need to be completely rebuilt on DS, probably shorter and smaller play areas. But as I said, I'm no expert, so I'm open to correction.
  • edited January 2009
    *shrugs* Ehh.

It sounds like an OK idea, but the game would have to be with lowered-down graphics, due to the DS' hardware limitations. And your hand would repeatedly get in the way.
  • edited January 2009
    The stylus is a much more precise substitute for a mouse than a Wiimote though. :D The homebrew Lemmings game is awesome, it plays like a dream.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it would need to be completely rebuilt on DS, probably shorter and smaller play areas. But as I said, I'm no expert, so I'm open to correction.

SBCG4AP for DS is super appealing, but you're correct here. Even if we simplified meshes and textures, the back end of the Telltale Tool would be fairly demanding for DS hardware, and would most likely require a new DS friendly scripting environment to be developed. There are numerous small, vital selectable objects in the games as well, which may only occupy the space of less than a pixel on the DS's screen, so a redesign of the actual content would be necessary as well. Essentially, we can't do it right now, even though it would be awesome :)
  • edited January 2009
    Shauntron wrote: »
    SBCG4AP for DS is super appealing, but you're correct here. Even if we simplified meshes and textures, the back end of the Telltale Tool would be fairly demanding for DS hardware, and would most likely require a new DS friendly scripting environment to be developed. There are numerous small, vital selectable objects in the games as well, which may only occupy the space of less than a pixel on the DS's screen, so a redesign of the actual content would be necessary as well. Essentially, we can't do it right now, even though it would be awesome :)
    What about DSIWare?
  • edited January 2009
    Shauntron wrote: »
    . There are numerous small, vital selectable objects in the games as well, which may only occupy the space of less than a pixel on the DS's screen, so a redesign of the actual content would be necessary as well.

Wow, you should work for Cyan! If you did, maybe they would have reconsidered making Myst for DS. SERIOUSLY, who was supposed to notice the button in the chamber? It is ONE PIXEL BIG!!!
  • edited January 2009
    ONE PIXEL BIG!!!
    Like this:Attachment not found.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    HomsarGuy wrote: »
    What about DSIWare?

Nope, same deal.
  • edited January 2009
    Dsi Ware would have even smaller limitations I assume.
  • edited January 2009
    Yeah, while distributing wouldn't be a problem what with DSiware and all, but I just can't picture those graphicks on a DS screen. If anything, it would have to be completely reskinned.
  • edited January 2009
    I think that Telltale should make their own game (no pre-existing license), and release it on DSiWare. You could make it 4 times the memory of the Wii!
  • edited January 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »
    Wow, you should work for Cyan! If you did, maybe they would have reconsidered making Myst for DS. SERIOUSLY, who was supposed to notice the button in the chamber? It is ONE PIXEL BIG!!!

Myst for DS was ported by Midway, and they did a horrid job of it. Myst on DS could have worked if it were ported by a competent developer that cared at all about the game.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    I love the DS and I think it's a great platform for adventure games. I actually prefer it to the PC these days. I think a Strong Bad game (or any of Telltale's games) would be great on DS, although it's true that to do it well, a lot of work and planning would have to go into it.
  • edited January 2009
    5% of users would like a DS game, according to your poll. Or at least 5% like to play on DS.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't exactly call that a scientific sample. :p (But this thread is partly why I started that poll!)
  • edited January 2009
    I was one of that 5% :D. The DS great for point-and-click-em-up adventures.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm curious about the limitations of the DS. Emily, if Telltale were to make an adventure game for DS...

Would they be more likely to make it one long game or a collection of episodes?
    Would they be able to fit full voice acting in it?
    Would it be more likely to be 2D or 3D?
    If Telltale released five episodes on one DS card, would each episode be longer or shorter than the average Telltale PC season episode?
  • edited January 2009
    I'd say shorter, the longest DS game I ever played was LoZ Phantom Hourglass, that was roughly nine hours. So I'd say 3 episodes at three hours each. Or just one long game would be better.
  • edited January 2009
    Well, back in ye olde days, Loom was sold full-priced, I think, and it was only about five hours of gameplay.

Given, it was originally part of a trilogy, but ended up as a solo game.
  • edited January 2009
    I think that'd be cool, but as people said, a lot of work would have to be done. Wii, DS, and PC all work well for point-and-click. DS has the Ace Attorney series which is pretty good, and Wii has the Telltale games and Zack & Wiki, all of which work well. The DS is nice because it's portable, but obviously has less capabilities.
  • edited February 2009
    *shrugs* Ehh.

It sounds like an OK idea, but the game would have to be with lowered-down graphics, due to the DS' hardware limitations.

This is when Videlectrix becomes important...

As for the idea, it'd probably turn out like the "tech demo", only longer and better-looking and worth playing.

THAT sounds more doable.

And, as it'd be on the DS, it'd have to be an entirely new season, that'd be DS-exclusive.

Hmm... that actually sounds like a cool idea. I wish they'd do it, but rumor has that Telltale's got their hands full right now, so, since we don't have a time machine, it look like we'll just have to wait it out.
  • edited February 2009
    ...Backwards?
  • edited February 2009
    ...Backwards?

Forwards.
  • edited February 2009
    Not if we use a time machine to go forwards to an equal amount of time after it's came out as we currently are from it and then start waiting backwards so that it is exactly as though we didn't use the time machine and thus never had one so we wouldn't need a time machine in the first place and, although this doesn't accomplish anything it does allow us to wait it backwards using many logical fallacies.
    Anyway, it actually does seem plausible for telltale to release a series of episodic games on DSiWare, hopefully SBCG4AP related, but it probably depends on the capabilities of DSiWare.
  • edited February 2009
    I hope they don't a full boxed game would probably be bigger and better quality, I'm sure Nintendo are going to be as strict about size on DSiWare as they were and WiiWare.
  • edited May 2009
    I think that it would be worth putting it onto DS, simply because it is more portable. If it was to go onto DS, the talk interface would probably be on the bottom screen and the action on the top screen to make it more effective. Also, something would have to be put on the top screen while the player is pointing and clicking... and having an adventure!

Anyway, I made a box art for the game, and the art for a cartridge. Keep in mine, I only spent like, an hour on this, and I'm 15 and a n00b at Fireworks.

COVER
    http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/Smeghead88/?action=view&current=SBCG4APDS.jpg

CARTRIDGE
    http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/Smeghead88/?action=view&current=sbcg4apcartrige.png

Just please don't write back saying it's terrible.

Because that might make me look at it and go; "They're right... Damn".

Cool
  • edited May 2009
    you used the collectors dvd box art!! :) i love it
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks!
  • edited May 2009
    ur welcome, friend
  • edited May 2009
    Actually, it's not bad. Better than I could do. My only bit of constructive criticism is that you need a few screenshots of the game on the back of the box.
  • edited May 2009
    I updated the cover art, and this means that the link above (for the cover, not the cartridge) does not link. What I did, was I got rid of the green glow around the icons and unblurred them (made them clearer) I took the T for Teen logo off the side and moved the sbcg4ap logo down. I also adjusted the writing on the back. Also, in response to our resident Cuckoolander, if I put screenshots on the back, I wouldn't have room for the text (which I took from another fan art of the wii box) or icons. i might try that though, it seems like a good saturday project.

The link to the new art is
    http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/Smeghead88/?action=view&current=SBCG4APDS.png

Ok!
  • edited May 2009
    I got a picture of something signed by the Bros. Chaps and superimposed it onto the boxart. This is for all those absolutely fanatical types out there. Oh, and I'm getting the game, so I can scan it for an unblurry, large cover design. Yay..........

So enjoy!

The link is right here
Sign in to comment in this discussion.