Help a newbie out :)

Hi guys. I was just wondering about the Strong bad universe. I have recently been made an offer i couldn't refuse and picked up SBCG4AP and now, i am wondering, anyone knows the complete story of these caracters and where it all came from? I understand there is a web site with emails, does the email sets that are sold on TellTale site contain the core of the Strong bad universe or is there more to it? Was it like a magazine or something?

I'm more than a little confused really. Didn't think i'd really like this franchise but i played through homestar ruiner yesterday and i found it charming.

Thx for any info. Also sorry if it's been asked, but i'm lazy, and i'm one of these Sam and Max people

Comments

• edited January 2009
    The cartoons are here. You can watch them for free.

The Strong Bad Emails are the most popular thing on the site, but there's other things too. The body of work is called Homestar Runner, and it's never been in any print medium unless you count the original book, which you can read at the website's museum.

Here is an extensive wiki about the cartoons.

It contains a lot of information if you don't want to pick it up by watching the cartoons.

If you want to know the history of the cartoons, Mike Chapman and Craig Zobel made a children's book parody kind of thing in 1996, titled The Homestar Runner Enters The Strongest Man in the World Competition. All the characters were drawn as weird... things because that's what characters look like in children's books. The plot centred around what the title says, while his nemesis Strong Bad tries to cheat. In the end, Homestar forfeits his chance to win so that he can show that Strong Bad is cheating, and his friend Pom Pom wins. But Pom Pom shares the trophy.

In 1999, Mike Chapman and his brother Matt started making cartoons about Homestar Runner to practice in Flash, and homestarrunner.com went online in January 2000. The first few toons weren't great, but they improved. The characters got funnier and better developed, and Strong Bad went from villain to comic relief. Strong Bad Emails started in mid 2001, and quickly became the most popular feature on the site.

This is all off the top of my head, though.
  • edited January 2009
    Good to see someone new interested in Homestar Runner!
    The Strong Bad Email DVDs in the Telltale Store are Homestar Runner Merchandise, and contain a certain amount of toons per DVD, along with some bonus features. However, since you can get most of their content free on the site, they're generally only bought by hardcore fans(of which there are quite a lot!).
  • edited January 2009
    wow, thx a lot for all this information! :)
    I'll get right on it. It will surelly help me understand more of what i am doing in the games=)
  • edited January 2009
    Also, they said somewhere proceeds from their store go to keeping the site ad-free, :)
  • edited January 2009
    Not only that, but they live on the store money.
  • edited January 2009
    Yeah, that's why I bought all the DVDs(also because I consider myself a hardcore fan), but the cool thing is, all the content is also on the site, so you can get full enjoyment from all the toons free of charge.
  • edited January 2009
    It's so fun to explain Homestar Runner to people.
  • edited January 2009
    yeah the homestar fans are surely a dedicated crowd:) I like how the community here is a lot, a LOT more friendly than all the other community's i'm involved in. I can come here and just relax and have fun. =)
  • edited January 2009
    PatsDark wrote: »
    yeah the homestar fans are surely a dedicated crowd:) I like how the community here is a lot, a LOT more friendly than all the other community's i'm involved in. I can come here and just relax and have fun. =)

I know there are alot of places full of jerks but here we have moderaters actually checking to make sure everyone is having fun.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    PatsDark wrote: »
    I like how the community here is a lot, a LOT more friendly than all the other community's i'm involved in. I can come here and just relax and have fun. =)

Glad to hear it!

The Homestar universe is a little daunting at first because there's *so* much content, but once you start poking around the website, you might not emerge for days. :D It's a lot of fun.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    If you want a place to start, here are some of the Telltale team's favorite Homestar cartoons.

(Some of my favorites are Dragon, Japanese Cartoon, DNA Evidence, Techno, Drive-Thru, and both Dangeresque cartoons -- stunt double and dangeresque 3. I like some of the more esoteric ones like New Boots as well, but they're a bit crazy if you don't already know what's going on!)

For a few more which are related to the episodes, there are some music related ones on the Baddest of the Bands site, some Dangeresque cartoons on the Dangeresque 3 site, and some 8-bit is Enough/Trogdor ones here.
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks a lot guys, i appreciate this. I started digging up on the stuff and i am now at episode 4:) I'm having fun and a few laughs.

Although i find it fun, i must admit that after this season, i wouldn't want more of it. I mean it's a cool concept but, it gets old to me after a while. It's still nice that i got to visit this weird universe for a while. Awesome voice acting :)
    Thx again for everything!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.