Anti-aliasing?

edited March 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Will you possibly be providing an optional anti-aliasing graphics setting?
It doesn't have to be on by default but it'd be nice to see all the corners smooth like chocolate...

Comments

• edited February 2009
    langley wrote: »
    Our games have always supported anti-aliasing and some level of bump mapping. But yes, we've added more support for normal maps and some fancy new shader tech.

from another thread hope it helps
  • edited February 2009
    Personally, I'm very much pro-aliasing. Jaggies put hair on your chest.

In my day, a game wasn't a game unless everything was pointy enough to stab a bear made of steel. Not that we had steel, mind you. We had aluminum, and we liked it!
  • edited February 2009
    Fun fact: Sam & Max and SBCG4AP both had anti-aliasing in the 'high' graphics settings :)
  • edited February 2009
    And anti-aliasing is......?
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    And anti-aliasing is......?

Aliasing is used to describe the distortion and ugliness that occurs when a high-resolution image is displayed at a lower resolution. Anti-aliasing, then, encompasses the techniques and technologies used to reduce said ugliness and maintain the look of the original image. For instance, if you shrink an image in Photoshop, it'll still look pretty good because lots of math is going on in the background to make sure it maintains as much fidelity to the original image as possible (unless you're using a limited color index, as in the .gif format).

In games, anti-aliasing is more related--I think!--to reducing the polygonal look of the 3d models, but I could be wrong.

More answers within.
  • edited March 2009
    From the demo, at the '9' graphics setting, Wallace and Gromit definitely has AA enabled, and a high level of AA at that - at least 4x, possibly higher. Anisotropic filtering (AF) seems to be mild or non-existant though.... haven't yet checked what forcing AF in the video card driver does.
  • edited March 2009
    I love when you're guys games are all smooth looking. :D
  • edited March 2009
    Could somebody perhaps explain what is activated and turned off with the different graphics settings?
  • edited March 2009
    I would like to know when the settings really changes too (there's no "Apply button", and I can't see the difference when changing graphic level). Also, reloading the game did not have a lot of effect neither.
  • edited March 2009
    You should definitely see the difference while changing it. Try to get a clear shot of wallace before entering the menu. Basically what changes is the quality of the shading and textures (though that's not really so noticeable) Level 9 will have quite a bite of detail whereas the first three or so will seem flat in comparison.

Also, perfomance seems to have improved from the demo. I'm not having any hitches in the highest level now, and from what I've tried there didn't seem to be flickering like in the demo.
  • edited March 2009
    The changes are also easily noticeable to the right of the table (right from player's POV) in the dining room at the very start of the game. The lighting/shading and texture work on the trash bin, the decorative plates on the wall (and the wall itself) and Gromit all change.
  • edited March 2009
    But look at the welcome mat in Wallace's house - it's horribly aliased even with max resolution and quality setting 9. And the wall to the right of the mat is aliased as well..
  • edited March 2009
    I don't know if this was intentional, but I definitely noticed a difference in graphical quality between the demo and full game - both times I had graphics set at '9' but the game looked far better.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.