Okay, I finished it.

edited October 2006 in Bone
Cow Race is going in the right direction. It has a few more puzzles, and object usage. This makes it more of adventure game. But I still felt like I was reading an interactive comic strip. More interaction with objects is needed, like object combining. The dialog is rather static, and it doesn't really matter what the user chooses. This could be improved upon. In older games, like Monkey Island, there were some characters that had limited dialog, until you talked to a second character. Then you went back to the first character, and new dialog appears. This is what makes an adventure game. Interaction between characters and their dialog.

I also didn't much care for the voice actor changes for the characters. How would you like to go watch a movie, and all of the sudden, they replace an actor with a different one for the same character, for no apparent reason? This is how it felt in the Cow Race. I would prefer that voice actors remain the same throughout the series of the game. There was also some dialog that sounded like it was not "normalized" and thrown in at the last second. The volume of each character's voices were not consistent, and I had to always adjust my speaker volume to compensate for this discrepancy.

Other than that, I really liked playing Cow Race and hope to see more installments! There was one "bug" I encountered. At the Honey Stand, there is a crate. The first time I clicked on the crate, it made all the dialog sound like an echo. The voices echoed. After leaving the stand, my sound returned to normal.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    I also didn't much care for the voice actor changes for the characters. How would you like to go watch a movie, and all of the sudden, they replace an actor with a different one for the same character, for no apparent reason? This is how it felt in the Cow Race. I would prefer that voice actors remain the same throughout the series of the game.

We weren't satisfied with how Thorn and Gran'ma Ben came out in the first act, so after a bit of deliberation they were re-cast. I know it can be a bit awkward, continuity-wise, to swap voices part way through the series, but when it came down to continuing on through the series with voices we didn't like versus getting voices we really liked and thought fit the characters (at the expense of a little voice continuity hiccup between acts 1 and 2), people pretty unanimously agreed on the latter solution. The people involved with the game are pleased with how the voices came out in Cow Race, so unless something unforseen comes up, those actors are the ones we'd like to be portraying our characters from here on out.
  • edited August 2006
    I just finished playing the demo for the first time and I must say, it was much longer then the Boneville demo. I thought it was pretty good. It took about an hour. I know it sounds long but it's not like I'm *that* horrible at it. I wonder how long the full game will take me.
  • edited August 2006
    I am almost finished. I am stuck by trying to get Smiley's cousin down who is hanging up-side-down over the huge pot. I got the axt by smashing the lock but Smiley cannot reach his cousin. What shall I do? The question mark doesn't give any hint for that. It only says what I already did. Please, can anyone help me?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2006
    Did you switch to Fone and do his task as well? He needs to find a "getaway car" before Phoney can be rescued.
  • edited September 2006
    I also noticed that you gave Thorn leggings in the second Bone game. I was wondering, how you felt you'd get away with her dress being so short in the first one.
  • edited September 2006
    Wasn't it like that in the comic?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Wasn't it like that in the comic?

It was, but seeing it in 3D - "in the flesh" as it were - apparently made people feel a little shifty.
  • edited October 2006
    Haha, Lara Croft?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.