$20 bucks for this??!!!

edited December 2005 in Bone
I am so angry right now I could spit. Yes, the game graphics are great. Yes, the story line is intresting. No, not on your life is it worth $20 bucks. Nowhere in the pre purchase game synopsis does it say that this is the first in a series of "chapters" of this game. Chapters that you will be expected to buy later. So- maybe if there are 6 chapters that each last 1 1/2 hours and cost $20 I could spend $120 bucks and play for 9 hours-- spectacular. Count me out, I've already wasted enough of my money...

Comments

• edited December 2005
    It took me about 5 hours to play through it, but I didn't blaze through it like it was some kind of race. You can't have bought this game on a whim, right? Surely you did a couple minute's research on this game before you paid money for it online, right? If you did, you probably would have quickly discovered how short it was for many people. There are also articles about the game or even reviews that you can find on major gaming sites. You might also have found that there was a discount code for the game to give you 15% off (only three dollars, but it's something). All of that could have been found out just browsing through the titles of a few of the threads on this forum. Since the game was first announced, it was known that this game is just one chapter in a series, so that should only be a surprise for people who squeezed their eyes shut, stuck their fingers in their ears and shouted "La la la!!!" while purchasing the game. And if you would bother to read more of the threads, or some of the interviews at other gaming sites like Adventuregamers.com, you find out that the next chapter is going to be longer, because Telltale is listening to fan feedback.

On the other hand, yes, I agree it was short for $20. I'm just saying I can't see this as coming as a surprise to anybody who could take it upon themself to use the internet for just a minute or two to check out a review on a game site so they could make an educated purchase.
  • edited December 2005
    Hopefully the next one is hard enough it will take a month just to solve the puzzles. Like I have said in a bunch of my posts before. I can remember MI and MI2 in the days before the internet. I would get stuck on a problem in the game and not know how to solve it. Go play x-wing for a week while I pondered it and then came back with a solution. Ok well maybe it didn't take that long but I do remember getting stuck sometimes and it helped the game to last longer. It also felt more rewarding when I actually did figure out the correct solution.

I think with every product it will take time to find the right price for content ratio.
  • edited December 2005
    I did the same thing, except I almost never came back with a correct solution. I'd continue where I left off more clueless than ever, but not as frustrated. And after about five or ten minutes of playing, I would have seen something I missed or tried something that was so obvious that I dismissed it beforehand because I never thought it would work in the first place, and I'd be able to progress through the story.
  • edited December 2005
    I think the proper price for episode 1 should be 12.99 and texas holdem should drop down to 9.99
  • edited December 2005
    I saw a boxed version of Telltale Texas Hold'em at Best Buy for $9.99. Actually, I bought it, too, to give to my grandmother for Christmas.
  • edited December 2005
    Wha?
  • edited December 2005
    Wha?
    I'll see if I can get a picture of it. My cell phone doesn't take very good photos, though...
  • edited December 2005
    Please post a picture!
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, picture! Are you sure it was TELLTALE Texas Hold 'Em?
  • edited December 2005
    Sorry for the nasty image quality. The Treo 600 is not known for quality photography capabilities. Behold, Telltale Texas Hold'em, in a box! ("published by Destineer Publishing Corp. under it's Bold label." - from text on the underside of the box)

Picture191_12Dec05.jpg

Picture198_12Dec05.jpg

Picture199_12Dec05.jpg
  • edited December 2005
    That is awesome. Thanks for posting those.
  • edited December 2005
    So really that means anyone who buys from this site is now being ripped off for that game. A price adjustment is a MUST now. seeing as the whole point of going to online distrubution was to keep the cost to players low.
  • edited December 2005
    I think it's really cool to see that game in a box. Does Telltale have any details on the availability of this product? I can't find anything on Bold's site or any online retailer.
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, Telltale has to reduce the price now. It's cool that they got a game into stores, though.

I hope this means we'll eventually get complete boxed sets of each episodic series. With cool extras (like a printed version of the online Sam and Max comic... although they'd have to work out which panels out of the "moving panel" idea to keep) And a Mac version. We need a Mac version ;)
  • edited December 2005
    As I've said before it'd be cool to get an entire bunch of the episodic games together in one box. Imagine all the Bone games (when they're finished) stuck end on end into one big game. Then my pathetic 56k modem friend could play them.

Also, to the thread starter: We're a pretty mellow bunch here at the TellTale forums but if you don't like a game it's best not to rant about it in the game's forums. Unless you like hundreds upon thousands of poorly worded insults. often in 1337.
  • edited December 2005
    As I've said before it'd be cool to get an entire bunch of the episodic games together in one box. Imagine all the Bone games (when they're finished) stuck end on end into one big game. Then my pathetic 56k modem friend could play them.

Hey I'm a pathetic 56k modem fiend ( :) ) and I play Bone..

I had to DL the installer elsewhere though (cable) due to problems with the digital rivers download manager..
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, a person with a 56k modem can easily get the game in a few hours (at most). That argument holds no water.
  • edited December 2005
    Imagine all the Bone games (when they're finished) stuck end on end into one big game.

I'm bringing this up again (Not that I'm directing this at you or anyone in particular really but it's something that's been said a few times): Isn't envisioning Bone as one big game the opposite of what we're supposed to do? Hasn't Telltale said from day one that their goal with episodic releases is to make each game a complete, stand alone experience? Aren't they trying to avoid the concept of a series that depends on each episode before it, a la "24?" (source: first AG feature among others) I mean, Bone does tell a big story, and I'm sure Telltale isn't against the idea (I hope!) of story arcs that exist across a series, but the whole idea of the concept, at least as I understand it, is to make games that are self-contained. The reason I say this is because a lot of the people who are wary of purchasing Bone due to its price tag have said that they see the game as merely a fragment of some imaginary "complete" game that will cost them $180 dollars, which is of course far from the truth. I just think that advancing the notion that Bone is a huge game that Telltale has divided will give those who see it has a ripoff some steam. I've no doubt that Bone will be very impressive as a whole and that it will be a remarkable accomplishment as a "big" story, but I don't think the games are being made with the goal in mind that they can be slapped together into a big chunk at the end of the day and called one game. That can't be true, because if these games are being made one at a time as full, little games then stuff like pacing, climax etc. for each individual episode is important. How does everyone else view it?

Oh, and just to pretend I'm on-topic, I do think Bone has a good chance of being released as a boxed product when the series is done. I'll bet some publisher will do that. And now that there's apparently a boxed Texas Hold'em available, I'm really interested in seeing how Telltale' future publishing deals play out.
  • edited December 2005
    Agree. Full bon game with all the episodes and to buy from a retailer.

Talltale are gonna be somthing speical, I can see that.
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, Telltale will definitely have larger story arcs across the series to keep fans interested.

I definitely want a boxed Bone set. One very cool thing for that would be some kind of special (online only, maybe?) limited box that sells for $100 or something that features all of the fully colored books and all of the games. Make a Mac version of the and I would definitely buy it. The One Volume Collection is cool, but getting all of the games and books together... *drooling ensues*
  • edited December 2005
    If you're reading this and haven't played the game yet you may want to stop. There may be a few semi-spoilers.
    Isn't envisioning Bone as one big game the opposite of what we're supposed to do? Hasn't Telltale said from day one that their goal with episodic releases is to make each game a complete, stand alone experience? Aren't they trying to avoid the concept of a series that depends on each episode before it, a la "24?"

Well, as far as I can see it, the episodic nature of its delivery basically means we get to see a small part of the whole story/game each time. However it all basically adds up to one game when you think about it. Take for instance part one. If you think about the story in it you realise it's basically just chapter one in the full tale, the introduction if you will. It introduces most (all? I haven't read the actual books) of the characters and gives you a little background on the actual main character. We learn why he's there, where he's from, who some of his friends are, etc.

However, it's only the very beginning. Nothing really seriously happens until near the end of the game. We learn they're getting chased by someone, We get to see a small glimpse of some major bad guy, we get a few little beginnings of what I assume are going to turn into major story elements later, and generally the seeds for the actual story are planted (Woo, metaphors!).

But, Telltale do manage to make an actual small game out of this tiny part of the story. A mini story is added for this chapter of the story to revolve around. The 'Bones' are lost and then seperated and then you get the task of reuniting them and finding their way. Telltale have managed to create a full (albeit somewhat short) game.

So basically, they are all one enormous game but seperately they do manage to be stand-alone experiences. I just like the idea of having them all together so I don't have to ruin the experience when playing them all after each other by going back to desktop and selecting 'Bone Part Two' and so on each time I go from game to game. It'll kind of ruin the immersive experience, y'know?

Oh, and if you're wondering why I've gone through the trouble to bother writing all this I found I got the highest marks in the whole year level at my school for the end of year English exams so I'm basically trying to show off. :D
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, a person with a 56k modem can easily get the game in a few hours (at most). That argument holds no water.

Ah. But in NZ 56k means about 30k unless you're in the middle of Auckland. And because my friend lives about half an hour out of Auckland he gets about 14k speed. It's really quite pathetic.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.