The Telltale community underestimates Borderlands potential for storytelling.

Upon reading a few things here and there about Tales from the Borderlands, I was saddened to discover that a good chunk of the Telltale community is very sceptical about Telltale taking on the Borderlands series. Mostly because many people view Borderlands as this brutal FPS that invite the player to kill armies of monsters and bandits with big guns and then loot wathever junks you can find on the ground...which is pretty accurate for the most part. That's what the trailers promote and this overly action packed gameplay is what makes the game so fun to play.

But look, even though I'm not that much into FPS, a couple of month ago I decided to try out the Borderlands series because I wanted to be ready for TFTB release, just to have an idea of what Telltale is gonna offer us. I played the first one, then the second one, I finished it a couple of days ago. And let me tell you, it wasn't just a lot of fun, it was also a great surprise, because the lore and characters in these games are amazing ! Not only that, but the comedy is so well used and varied. I sincerly wasn't expecting a game to be that funny, juggling from silly to smart and witty to satirical and even dark at times, it was really well done.

Now, it's true that the stories of both games are fairly simplistic, although the second one had its fair share of good plot twists, but it didn't matter, the characters were colorfull enough to make it a ride worthwhile. All unique and creative, a few brillantly caricatural, making for some great and hilarious dialogues. I dare even say that the villain of Borderlands 2 is one of the best villain I've encountered in any video game I played. The excellent voice acting definitely helped a lot. It has a very over-the-top yet completely assumed feel to it, with a world as interesting as it is rich. The games take place during the colonisation of a planet, in a plutocratic univers where corporations have the power. The sci-fi/western setting makes the ambiance of the series all the more define and pleasant. I'm glad I got to experience all of it.

I don't know what else to say without going into spoiler territory. The point that I'm trying to make is that with Gearbox enticing univers and Telltale storytelling, Tales from the Borderlands can be a great game, with a unique story. And yes, there's gonna be a lot of humor, possibly action packed gunfights and crazy dialogues, but guess what, a story doesn't have to be all dark, realistic and settle to be good. A well build world with creative characters and fun dialogues can also get someone involved. I enjoyed TWD and I really liked TWAU, which got me into the very good Fables comic, I'm also looking forward to Telltale's Game of Thrones, but TFTB is gonna be a breath of fresh air in the middle of all those "Time to make a tough decision in a depressing situation".

I invite anyone who's not too uptight about trying something different to play Borderlands 2, it's the better one in my humble opinion. I trust that Telltale can cook us something good.

Comments

• ElliasEllias Banned

I personally don't like series over all but I'm still sort of interested in it. The way episode 5 of TWD really determines if I get the game or not. If 5 ends up being rushed and put little effort into, I will not be buying anything from telltale again.

I've tried borderlands 2 but it bores me, even with the characters. I'm not sure why people consider claptrap best or something, he's annoying. I'm not into open worlds really. I can't say that I'm not into fps since I like alot of fps but this game, just not for me. It's just MY opinion.

But I'm glad telltale is trying something new, I really look forward into how the 2 main character thing will play out, and the whole loot thing.

• It will be different when the game comes out.

This selection of a franchise for a TT game was totally unseeable, and has weirded out both the TTG and BL communities, but when we're able to play the first episode, we're all going to enjoy it as much as TWD and TWAU. There's very little reason why we wouldn't. It's not like they have a team of monkey's making it.

It's a deep universe and I'm really glad to be exploring it more.

• The haters that are bashing on this game are probably the same ones who were bashing on The Wolf Among Us as well - before it came out.

So, yeah, give it time and the game will get the praise it deserves, just look at how well The Wolf Among Us did!

• yea people really should stop bashing the game when they have not even played it... wanna know something haters? people were doing the same thing when the walking dead was announced and even with the wolf among us and you know how they turned out?

• edited August 2014

I don't know why people bash something without even trying it. Borderlands games have different audience than usual TTG's games. So, maybe people are skeptical about the franchise. I don't know much about Borderlands, besides the fact that it's somesort of sci-fi FPS/RPG. However I believe that there's no reason to be worried.

I own most TTG games (everything besides Poker, CSI and Law & Order games). While I've been familiar with some franchises, some (for example Strong Bad and Fables) were completely new to me. Despite not knowing the franchise I enjoyed those games. And I believe that TTG's Borderlands game will also be enjoyable, just like their other games.

• Hey man, I did the same thing as you. I brought Borderlands 2 to be prepared for Tales of Borderlands. Two amazing things stands out in that game and that was the hilarious and amazing dialogue and the bizarre yet very interesting characters. Also, the strange thing was that I never really saw Handsome Jack as the bad guy, more like a jerk who is quite intelligent, funny and sympathetic in a way.

If Tales of Borderlands have the dialogue and characters, I am ready for it! :D

• People who have played the borderland series have every right to bash on this series since they already have a taste in what they're possibly in for. Stop talking.

• I just think lots of users are overall upset, it started after the VGA's when they made it sound like they were showing TWD S2 tralier and then it was this. After that they adveristed the game more than they adveristed wolf among us at times.

• you weren't even here when that happened so stop talking.

I have every right to bash on this since I've already played borderlands and I really dislike it. Sort of hate it but the hate is coming from the fans that praise this game, Highly overrated.

Jewfreeus posted: »

yea people really should stop bashing the game when they have not even played it... wanna know something haters? people were doing the same thing when the walking dead was announced and even with the wolf among us and you know how they turned out?

• ElliasEllias Banned
    edited August 2014

borderland sucks 3/10 overrated boring story and annoying characters. Jack is like a villain that was pulled from a disney movie.

Ellias posted: »

People who have played the borderland series have every right to bash on this series since they already have a taste in what they're possibly in for. Stop talking.

• you weren't even here when that happened so stop talking.

Doesn't make his point any less true.

I have every right to bash on this since I've already played borderlands and I really dislike it.

Fair enough....it's your opinion, and I think you made that perfectly clear in your first comment on this thread. Care to explain why you felt the need to post two more comments? Overrated? Again, it your opinion, but the people who praised the game actually had good points and arguments, unlike you, who simply bash this game just for the sake of it, or the source material to be exact.

you weren't even here when that happened so stop talking. I have every right to bash on this since I've already played borderlands and I

• Boring story, poor gameplay, annoying characters, and all just over rated.

after playing borderlands 1, it was a train wreck. I actually had hope for the series when i decided to play 2 and gave it one last chance and it failed again.

Also Loot? People go crazy over that and it's literally so perplexing and useless.

And seriously you read my first comment then just say I bash the game for the sake of it. Senseless really. And why do I put 2 comments? because i'm replying to others and for some reason alot of people are reading my stuff so, that's why. I can state my opinion like you're stating yours.

you weren't even here when that happened so stop talking. Doesn't make his point any less true. I have every right to bash on

• edited August 2014

I'm going to give it a chance, but I have low expectations not because I think it's going to suck, just because I've never played borderlands and probably won't get alot of the lore and story.

Edit: jeez I say I have low expectation and I get hate for it. I didn't say it's gonna be bad. Plus I read the link dojo32161 gave me and I'm actually kind of excited for it now.

• edited August 2014

I can state my opinion like you're stating yours.

Absolutely. That is the first thing I stated in my reply to you above, but there is a difference between stating your opinion, even if it's a negative one and posting flame baiting comments....hence why I said you are just bashing the game for the sake of it. Need examples?

borderland sucks 3/10 overrated boring story and annoying characters. Jack is like a villain that was pulled from a disney movie.

This is your comment down below, and it doesn't look like you were engaged in a debate with someone....unless is there something I'm missing?

Boring story, poor gameplay, annoying characters, and all just over rated. after playing borderlands 1, it was a train wreck. I actually

• ElliasEllias Banned
    edited August 2014

I never said not to reply did i? No. And I'm just putting my opinion, I don't care if you get all "offended" when I make fun of your video game. That's sad if that's the case here, which it probably is most likely.

If you cannot tolerate opinions then you shouldn't be on the internet. Not everything will go your way, and not everybody thinks the way you think.

Edit: I also don't see any rules stating not to put negative opinions about games. Also I don't see a reply limit so I don't see what i'm doing wrong here. I'll continue doing me and you keep doing you.

I can state my opinion like you're stating yours. Absolutely. That is the first thing I stated in my reply to you above, but there i

• I'm going to give it a chance, but I have low expectations not because I think it's going to suck, just because I've never played borderland

• 1.whether you like it or not still does not change that it is true and i have read the first thread on twd forum so yea i can talk

2.If you have played it and don't like it fair enough that is why i said stop bashing it when they have not even played it cause it is very obvious that a lot of the haters have never played a borderlands game in their life (well at least borderlands 2)

so calm down

you weren't even here when that happened so stop talking. I have every right to bash on this since I've already played borderlands and I

• Everything doesn't apply to me, Idk why you replied to me?

Jewfreeus posted: »

1.whether you like it or not still does not change that it is true and i have read the first thread on twd forum so yea i can talk 2.If y

• I believe it will be good, after TWD and TWAU they proved that they r capable of making a great game out of anything :)

• edited August 2014

They did prove that long before TWD. I think they proved that around the time when they published Bone: Out from Boneville.

Lee-Wolf posted: »

I believe it will be good, after TWD and TWAU they proved that they r capable of making a great game out of anything

• Skeptical*

• I've played both Borderlands 1 and 2 and they seemed okay to me. Not fantastic or amazing, but I understand the potential of turning this into a story-driven game.

But I'm not gonna bash it, let alone have the right to, because...

1. I don't know if this game deserves to be bashed because it hasn't even come out yet
    2. It's being made by a game company that focuses on storytelling, and I like stories in peculiar universe
    3. It's just plain pointless and stupid to bash it

If you aren't going to buy the game because you didn't like Borderlands, then fine. But don't act like you can speak for everyone who's played it, regardless if they liked it or not. Not everyone's opinion on a game franchise is the same as yours, you know.

People who have played the borderland series have every right to bash on this series since they already have a taste in what they're possibly in for. Stop talking.

• I'm not speaking for anybody but myself. I understand stand people's opinion will differ as mine. What the heck? If I thought everybody had the same opinion as mine I wouldn't even mention "opinion" in the first place. I honestly have no idea where the hell you're getting these supposedly points from mine or replies or whatever. Nor do I care.

I've played both Borderlands 1 and 2 and they seemed okay to me. Not fantastic or amazing, but I understand the potential of turning this in

• I agree. Even though I'm not big on FPS, I checked out Borderlands 2 and really enjoyed the lore and story behind it. People are just upset this game like they were with Wolf and Walking Dead, but both of those series are doing really good.

• edited August 2014

That's the thing with Handsome Jack, he's so unbelievably douchy that almost everything he says becomes comical, he's one of the prime exemple of the series' dark comedy. It's difficult to hate the man when he makes you smile everytime he intervenes. I couldn't even hate him after he killed Roland. And the "Angel situation" was probably meant to reaffirme how monstruous he was, but I actually felt bad for him, especially after it was alluded that she possibly killed her mother/Jack's wife, or worst.

I still considere him to be a villain though. He fucked over an entire planet. But I can understand why others wouldn't see him that way.

Hey man, I did the same thing as you. I brought Borderlands 2 to be prepared for Tales of Borderlands. Two amazing things stands out in that

• I cant wait to play it! I love Borderlands 1 and 2 and played them for 1000H and i think BL2 is the Best FPS of the last Generation. On the same time BL the Pre sequel is coming out on October 14th so its gonna be a fantastic year for Borderlands! But i can understand the Complainers (like Ellias) BL is not for Every one. You have to see it for what it is. A Looter-Shooter. I play BL because of the Gameplay not the story but BL2 had a good story but Far far away from TTG Story level. (well, BL2 had a better Antagonist than TWD but it didnt count because ZA.). TFTBL is going to blow me away with its sense of humor and characters. (I bet Fiona is going to die by the hands of the Vaulthunters and Rhys will become the new Hyperion boss and wants to kill them all.)

• I always thought it was a "c", but now that I think about it "ce" is like "se", so it would be pronounced "septical", silly mistake. Oh well, english isn't my first language so I don't feel too bad about it.

Adrian14 posted: »

Skeptical*

• Last time I felt so enthusiast about a FPS was when I played the first Bioshock, good times. They're quite different, but they both shine through there great artistic direction and very unique and cleverly build world. That's the type of stuff that gets me.

As for Fiona dying and Rhys taking over Hyperion, I think it's a bit early to guess what's gonna happen to them, we barely know anything about them. But if Rhys is charismatic and fun enough, I wouldn't mind him becoming Hyperion CEO and possibly being Borderlands 3 main antagonist, that could be cool.

GSSalvador posted: »

I cant wait to play it! I love Borderlands 1 and 2 and played them for 1000H and i think BL2 is the Best FPS of the last Generation. On the

• Bioshock...mhh...the good old times ;]
    well, TTG has to Decide whats gonna happen in BL3 since gearbox said "Everything in TFTBL is Canon" and i dont think TTG has to rewrite the story if they kill some important character because GBX is WAY more open to let someone else working on the story than the creator of Fables.

Last time I felt so enthusiast about a FPS was when I played the first Bioshock, good times. They're quite different, but they both shine th

• edited August 2014

Not to mention, when he captures Lilith, he stabs her with a knife over and over purely for enjoyment. It could be argued whether he already lost his mind completely at that point, but he's a maniac in any case (like that brief message he sends you about a guy who attacked him with a spoon or the mission where you have to check on his grandma).

But I don't mind him coming back, he was a really good villain.

• I think it wouldn't be such a problem if Telltale kill important characters. I think Borderlands 2 is more of an open setting and it allows much better flexibility for the writers. Compared to Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, Telltale have an entire planet (or universe if you go bigger) as a setting and it gives more room to introduce many different kind of characters.

GSSalvador posted: »

Bioshock...mhh...the good old times ;] well, TTG has to Decide whats gonna happen in BL3 since gearbox said "Everything in TFTBL is Canon"

• I haven't played Borderlands 1 or 2. It just doesn't seem my sort of thing. However I'm willing to give this one a go and will play the demo when it comes out to decide wether it's worth playing. Zombie games don't tend to be my sort of thing either (I'm not a fan of shooter games), but I loved the walking dead as there wasn't as much shooting involved as it was more of a story.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.