Do the Brothers Chaps hate anime now?

At TV Tropes, there's a page full of wild mass guessing about Homestar Runner, and the newest theory there has me worried. It theorizes that recent events may have made the Brothers Chaps hate anime and Japanese culture and may have jeopardized the completion of Stinkoman 20X6 Level 10. The relevant text from that page is as follows:
Watch Behind the Bad: Episode 2. During Strong Bad's break-in, he notices an employee's desk littered with anime figurines. He promptly tells said employee to "move out of his parents basement." While I first thought of this as a simple, throwaway joke, eventually the 2008 Thanksgiving toon and 8-bit is Enough came out. Both of these portrayed Stinkoman, the website's anime parody character, as obnoxious and annoying, different from previous appearances. (Hell, in 8-bit is Enough, Strong Bad outright states that Stinkoman is no longer "kind of cool", and has to kill him to proceed.)

This all came to a head in the toon "4 Gregs", with the character Japanese Culture Greg. He can't speak a normal sentence without interjecting a random Japanese word, none of which make any sense in context. This is atypical of the internet's (not entirely incorrect) stereotype of the common weeaboo. To bring this full circle, his first line is him suggesting that his group of friends "stare at vinyl figurines", just like the ones in the Telltale office. I can't help but think that these things are linked somehow.

* Considering how embarassing the subculture is, I'm rather surprised they haven't poked fun at them earlier.
* It gets worse: when they finally acquired the services of their Flash game programmer Johnathan Howe again around the time of Dangeresque 3's release, rather than take the opportunity to finally make the long-awaited Stinkoman 20X6 Level 10, they instead made a one-room Dangeresque adventure game. The Brothers Chaps' new-found hatred of Japanese culture may have doomed the completion of Stinkoman 20X6.

Admittedly, I wrote that last paragraph, but I'm still worried. Can anyone at Telltale confirm or deny any of this?

Comments

• ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    Can anyone at Telltale confirm or deny any of this?

Urm, I think it's safe to deny an absolute fabrication.
  • edited February 2009
    My internet connection keeps dropping out, so I may be posting too late.

I was going to reply to that WMG post when I saw it, but I guess I didn't. I'm not sure how much refuting is okay to do on that page.

Stinkoman's always been obnoxious. Just watch the cutscenes in Stinkoman 20X6. He cares more about a chicken bone in his soup than the fact that Pan Pan's been kidnapped, and he doesn't care that 1-Up's going to wander blindly through the dangerous Lava Zone until 1-Up takes his power crunch with him.

There have been more Japanese media parodying lately, but they parody everything. Possibly they've just been thinking about it more lately. Or at least thinking about Stinkoman more. When you're trying to think of two more nerd stereotypes, Japanophile, if that's the right word, comes up pretty easily.

Also, I think Strong Bad would've said that about any collection of figurines. They just happened to be anime characters.

In fact I feel like the person who wrote the original entry was not all that serious about it. Most WMG posts aren't all that serious.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    The Chapmans delivered that "someone needs to stop moving with their parents" line completely devoid of any context -- they just gave us a bunch of SB dialog lines which we were supposed to cut together into something coherent -- and Nick and I thought it would be funny (and appropriate) to make it so Strong Bad was ripping on Scott's collection of dorky anime and manga figurines. I imagine they recorded the line with the intention of it being related to someone's desk with a pile of toys or comics or games on it, but um I dont think its because they "hate anime now." You guys are weird.
  • edited February 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    You guys are weird.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so it fills it it with anything nearby. Nerds abhor an information vacuum, so they fill it with the most likely-sounding (to them) explanations and theories they can think of.
  • edited February 2009
    (...)but um I dont think its because they "hate anime now." You guys are weird.
    So, it's not the Chapmans that hate anime...it's Jake and Nick?:eek:
    No, I am just kidding...actually I didn' even notice that the figures in the video are anime-related. It just felt right for Strong Bad to deliver that line, while looking at a desk with toys of some sort..
  • edited February 2009
    No, the Chapman brothers hate practically everything.

Here's a short list of the things the Chapbros hate:
    • Manga and anime
    • American comic books (evident in alternate universe)
    • Dragons (evident in Trogday 2008)
    • Fans
    • Dumpy little brothers
    • Rappers
    • Pretty much everything

Also, everybody knows Homestar is a communist.
  • edited February 2009
    You guys are weird.

Affirmative.
  • edited February 2009
    that is just stupid im sure tbc researched japanese so they would use words at the right time.
  • edited February 2009
    Yeah, how else would they have known "otaku" and "okaasan"? Even if they ust heard them somewhere, they must care somewhat to bother getting the definitions right.
  • edited February 2009
    I honestly don't believe that TBC do not hate anime. In fact, I would even say that this thread is, is, is, *brain snaps*
    70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg
    I'M BRINGIN' IT BACK! I'M FREAKIN' BRINGIN' IT BACK I'M TELLIN' YA!
    *pant pant*
    Anyway, I think that BiggerJ might be jumping to conclusions a bit. They just happen to be parodying anime a little more lately, that's what I see.
  • edited February 2009
    I honestly don't believe that TBC do not hate anime. In fact, I would even say that this thread is, is, is, *brain snaps*
    70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg
    I'M BRINGIN' IT BACK! I'M FREAKIN' BRINGIN' IT BACK I'M TELLIN' YA!
    *pant pant*
    Anyway, I think that this theory just might be jumping to conclusions a bit. They just happen to be parodying anime a little more lately, that's what I see.

Well...i belive it
  • edited February 2009
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    No, the Chapman brothers hate practically everything.

Here's a short list of the things the Chapbros hate:
    • Manga and anime
    • American comic books (evident in alternate universe)
    • Dragons (evident in Trogday 2008)
    • Fans
    • Dumpy little brothers
    • Rappers
    • Pretty much everything

Also, everybody knows Homestar is a communist.

Don't forget children, as evidenced by kid's book and for kids. They obviously do not want children watching their show, enjoy the death of children, and want to kill the children/all their dogs.

But.... they both have children....

*shudder*
  • edited February 2009
    Nah, they just want to kill all our dogs. That's a lesser offense, and gets you less jail time.
  • edited February 2009
    Yup, This thread is definitely starting to...
    70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg
    Next thing you know, You're gonna say they're anti-Nintendo and Anti-Furry :rolleyes:.
  • edited February 2009
    Next thing you know, You're gonna say they're anti-Nintendo and Anti-Furry :rolleyes:.

O yaz they hAte furriz 4 homestar dressed as a furri and SB hit him. Roflz.
    But seriously this is getting out of control.
  • edited February 2009
    Yup, This thread is definitely starting to...
    **snip painfully unfunny image**

Not only is the Jump to Conclusions mat never funny more than once on a single page, but the entirety of the above posts seem like light humor. Trying to find whatever people could say the Chapman's hate by going through their toons.

And, because they make fun of everything they enjoy(y'know, geek humor), they must hate everyone.

I mean, look at their Peasant's Quest ad. They must HATE those adventure games that they worked so hard to make fun of by making Peasant's Quest, right? All that stuff they knew about that Apple II and everything. I'm sure they're LIVID.
  • edited February 2009
    Yeah, I'm going to be a pacifist and be on Rather Dashing's side. I was actually going to post something like what he said, only shorter. And before he actually said it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    I think this one's run its course! I think we can all agree that the Chapmans have a sense of humor.
This discussion has been closed.