When do we get our demo? [now!]

edited March 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Heard you guys were over at San Francisco's Wonder-Con the other day with a demo. I hope this means that forum members will get their demo soon?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I think that generally a "demo" in con terms is that people go up to a demo unit and watch a Telltale person mess around with the game. They did this with Strong Bad too.

I think we, as usual, will get the demo when the full game comes out. Especially since downloading a Telltale demo involves downloading the whole game.

Might be nice to get a playable preview, though.
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, the 'demo' at WonderCon was us demoing a particular part of the game, not an actual demo build that could be distributed :)
  • edited March 2009
    We'll get our demo the day that the game comes out.
  • edited March 2009
    well, now that we get our demo today, what time mr telltale?
  • edited March 2009
    well, now that we get our demo today, what time mr telltale?

Since over there it's 5:30 in the morning, I don't think they're at the office yet ;)
  • edited March 2009
    I'm off to the mall to buy some tea, cheese and crackers, when I get back I'm going to pop in the Wererabbit DVD, and after that I guess the demo will be up. Oh, glorious day!
  • edited March 2009
    As usual, I expect the demo to be up within the first 15 minutes of my first class today. Then, I will go through all my classes, and the demo will be up.

Of course, I may be held back by my plans to watch Watchmen today.

At least today is my short day of classes.

Thank you all for listening to my life story. You're all such good pals. :)

What I'm saying is that you can just go about doing whatever, and the demo will be up when you come back.
  • edited March 2009
    i just came back from doing whatever. and is not up. over here in Ariss (its near guelph, and thats in ontario) its 10:07, if you needed to know.
  • edited March 2009
    If it's going to be available around the same time that the games usually are, then there are barely three hours left.
  • edited March 2009
    and what timezone is that in? im in eastern daylight time.
  • edited March 2009
    Their offices are in San Francisco, so they wont even be in office until 8 am Pacific time. Then give them some time to make coffee and give each other back massages.

My plan is just to check back in around 3 hours from now (almost 8 am Pacific), but it might not even be released by then. No promises.
  • edited March 2009
    Ah, wonderful! I have...ten minutes until my next class, so I suppose I'll have to check it out in a couple hours. But it's good to know it's up!
  • edited March 2009
    Yay, almost done :D! Let's see how those controls are...
  • edited March 2009
    Remember to let us know what you think of it. I'll be interested to hear. As I said in another thread, I don't want to play it so to keep the surprise for when the first game is out.
  • edited March 2009
    I've only seen the first 3 minutes or something (dinner's ready! d'oh!), but jesus, it looks wonderful. I was expecting something like Grim Fandango or Monkey Island 4 for the controls, but it works much, much better. Also, I guess this is Telltale's most graphics intensive game yet. I even have a bit of trouble running it smoothly on the highest setting, but I'm running all sorts of stuff in the background. But man, it's beautiful. Much nicer then the screenshots suggest. The animation is amazing. I did notice it wasn't Peter Sallis though, but I guess I can get used to it. Now, I can't let my fellow students wait any longer, so I really have to go eat, I'll play more later.
  • edited March 2009
    Downloading now, can't wait.
  • edited March 2009
    Wow, just wow.

The W&G feeling is completely incredible. It's simply Wallace & Gromit. The animations and graphics are spot on (just a little more detail and it would be pretty much a playable cartoon, Gromit and some of Wallace's faces like
    the one after talking to the soldier when he's like "Uh... yeah, right"
    impressed me), the dialogue doesn't feel out of place (and despite there being no dialogue trees per se, the system there is works pretty much the same way), the controls are great (I played with the Xbox 360 controller and despite taking a bit of time to get used to it, once you do you realize that it's barely different than a traditional point'n'click, and it does feel somehow more "involved" since you have to pay attention to where your character is heading). The puzzles in the demo are of course simple because they're part of the tutorial, but I liked them quite a bit. If the full games keep up the good work we're in for a real treat :D

By the way, props for releasing the game translated to several languages, including in-game textures :D

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Wallace's voice actor does a good job, but you can notice his somewhat lower tone on several occasions. It's not that he is bad, it's just that he's not Sallis even though he's possibly the best replacement. The rest of the cast you can hear on the demo sounds pretty good too.
  • edited March 2009
    Amazing, though I'm not a huge fan of the arrow controls (especially odd when changing maps).

It looks quite neat though. Action's quite good.
    I guess I'm going to run for pre-order now ;).

That's Wallace & Gromit allright. To tell more I had to spoil, but I'll let you folks devour this bee-autiful demo ;)
  • edited March 2009
    It will definitely take some getting used to on the keyboard control as I more than once clicked expecting Wallace to move before realizing I had to do it myself. I do like the inventory having a keyboard key.
    I had to turn the graphics way down, but my computer wasn't top of the line when even when I got it 18 months ago, so that's to be expected.
    I ran into a couple places where I had troubles with Wallace near the edge of an area and not being sure which way to walk to get him to the next as he was off-screen.
    That said, none of this gets in the way of the stories which is why I play your games to begin with. Can't wait to see more of the game.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I liked it a lot. I don't think my video card can keep up, as whenever a piece of machinery comes up (the contraptions, or Wallace & Gromit's lorry) it gets glitchy (some parts are completely invisable, and other parts blink).

But, the characters and backgrounds were displayed fine, so I can deal with it. :) I couldn't get my Saitek Rumble Force to work, but the keyboard and mouse combination worked fine. I couldn't help be reminded about Dangeresque Roomisode 1 when I played it with this setup though, especially since WASD was one of the ways you could move the characters around. When I tried to move Wallace back to his yard with the mouse, and it wasn't working, I was half expecting him to say "I need to WASD myself over there". :D

I loved that the demo let you control both Wallace and Gromit, and I loved all of Wallace's contraptions from previous shorts that were around his house. :D

The voice of Wallace was great too. The way he delivered his lines was spot on, and it has me even more satisfied about the voice change than I was when I saw the trailer. If I hadn't known it wasn't Peter Sallis, I never would have known Wallace was voiced by a different actor. :)
  • edited March 2009
    I liked it, would prefer some extra control options, to change it to the controls of S&M. I like the new controls, but prefer the old ones. Another thing that annoys me is that you can't set options in-game. (At least I don't think you can.) Which meant I can't mess with the settings to see which is best graphics-wise. And can you turn off wide screen? It kinda annoyed me.Apart from those minor things I enjoyed, didn't see many jokes but I guess you were going for gameplay in the demo more than the funniest bits. It was easy enough, but obviously it would be in a demo. The graphics were nice, animations very well done. I think I could get used to Wallace's new voice actor.

So a solid 8/10 for me.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Just press "esc" to open the menu in-game, and then click "settings."
  • edited March 2009
    Just finished it. And wow, walking around in Wallace's garden was pretty cool. The new possibility's with camera angels are endless, and I would really like to see it continued in stuff like Sam & Max. The world feels so much more alive. I do think I might get a gamepad for this though, might make controlling Wallace just a bit easier. Really looking forward to all the other episodes, and hey, you guys already had my money. Great, great job. Really, I was expecting a good game, but I guess I wasn't expecting so much atmosphere.

The only thing I'm kind of annoyed about is the fact that the game starts stuttering just a bit too much on the higher graphics settings (which, looking at the comments, is pretty common) Still, the game looks amazing even on lower settings.
  • edited March 2009
    Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the demo! The controls are a bit hard to get used to though, maybe I'll just plug in the Xbox controller I have lying around, that might be better. As for Wallace's voice actor, he was better than I had anticipated, and after a while it didn't really bother me at all that it wasn't Peter Sallis. One thing I absolutely loved about it is the sense of action. After the initial calm sequence in West Wallaby Street, you're thrown right into action in the car scene, and it just feels awesome - almost like an action game instead of an adventure game. Also, the game looks absolutely fantastic, it's definitely among the most beautiful PC games I've played. Cracking demo, lads and lasses! :D
  • edited March 2009
    The graphics are great and I even like the control scheme, but the camera positioning could be better at some places. Walking to the edge of the visual area before I have a clue what's up ahead is not my idea of exploring, and when walking back from the bus stop there's even a place where you can in fact walk out of sight altogether and still not have the viewpoint shift. You can do better than this, Telltale!
    I'm definitely going to pre-order this, though. Great stuff.
  • edited March 2009
    So no mouse controls at all then?
  • edited March 2009
    You walk with WASD or the arrow keys, and you use the mouse to highlight points of interest, just like in the previous games. Shift-key gives you your inventory.

I do think it would be great with a gamepad. Gotta try that out soon.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh my goodness, I've just played a few minutes into the demo, but I like it a LOT already. And what really surprised me: All texts are localized (into German in my case), including menus, and subtitles. How did you manage to include that? Already a German publisher maybe?

My only gripe is the volume, as the music is way too loud on my PC, making it very hard to understand the voices. Any chance for separate volume-controls as in S&M?
    edited March 2009
    And what really surprised me: All texts are localized (into German in my case), including menus, and subtitles. How did you manage to include that? Already a German publisher maybe?

A nice side effect of developing a game which will appear on PC and XBLA is that you can put all the work you did on XBLA localization into your PC version. :)
  • edited March 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    A nice side effect of developing a game which will appear on PC and XBLA is that you can put all the work you did on XBLA localization into your PC version. :)

May I ask who did the translation? A German studio I suppose?

EDIT
    Another important thing: PLEASE include a way to chose your subtitle-language. I'd prefer reading english subtitles along with the english speech (and I assume a lot of non-english speakers would prefer it that way)
    edited March 2009
    You choose the subtitle language when installing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.