XBLA... achievements

edited April 2009 in Sam & Max
so any news on how they're doing the achievements for the xbox versions of sam & max?
it's not something that would make me re-buy the episodes, seeing as i already own them all for PC, just curious really.

also... come on with some news for season 3! please, just the tiniest nugget of info would be apreciated.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    If they do achievements for S&M, I could definitely see one for 201 for "naming famous websites" or something. YouTube, Myspace, and eBay.
  • edited March 2009
    If they do achievements for S&M, I could definitely see one for 201 for "naming famous websites" or something. YouTube, Myspace, and eBay.

you have to do achievements on 360
  • edited March 2009
    Well, I've only played a small amount of X360 games, so I wouldn't know.
  • edited March 2009
    XBLA games are required to have 12 achievements totaling 200 points, so you can count on that :)
  • SegSeg
    edited March 2009
    patters wrote: »
    you have to do achievements on 360

Specifically, all XBLA titles (downloaded games that are new; Not Xbox Originals) must have exactly 12 achievements and all totaling 200 Gamer score points. No more, no less, no exceptions.

For reference: Disc based Xbox 360 titles on the other hand can range between 5 and 50 achievements, all must total 1000 Gamer score points. You can even do 'secret' achievements on disc games (but can't on XBLA). Again, Sam & Max will not be on a disc for Xbox360.

More info on achievements on Xbox here: http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/02/01/540575.aspx

Edit: Tabacco beat me, but I was more informative and cited a source!
  • edited March 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    Specifically, all XBLA titles (downloaded games that are new; Not Xbox Originals) must have exactly 12 achievements and all totaling 200 Gamer score points. No more, no less, no exceptions.

For reference: Disc based Xbox 360 titles on the other hand can range between 5 and 50 achievements, all must total 1000 Gamer score points. You can even do 'secret' achievements on disc games (but can't on XBLA). Again, Sam & Max will not be on a disc for Xbox360.

More info on achievements on Xbox here: http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/02/01/540575.aspx

Edit: Tabacco beat me, but I was more informative and cited a source!

all of which can be expanded by dlc
  • edited March 2009
    Point - 20 points
    Click - 20 points
  • edited March 2009
    The "Did You Try?" sections on each episode's web page make pretty good achievements. And then there's stuff like finding the easter egg in the White House's courtyard in season 1...
  • edited March 2009
    Unnecessary Secret Finder - 20 Points
  • SegSeg
    edited March 2009
    patters wrote: »
    all of which can be expanded by dlc

True, but you can't have game specific DLC that's simply achievements. The title as offered will contain all episodes of the respective season. Nothing really to DLC from within the season at that point.
  • edited March 2009
    if season 3 runs on same basic engine as s2 (it should, t3 ftw) you could just release Season 3 as DLC, 800 points a DLC, With one achievement. (Probably like, complete the DLC EPISODE!!!)

And, just for the sake of confusion, Terminator Three Was a bad movie.
  • edited March 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    You can even do 'secret' achievements on disc games (but can't on XBLA).

N+ had a secret achievement, and that was on the XBLA.
  • edited March 2009
    I had a completely crappy acheivment idea

Pasturized!-20 points

This should be self-explanatory if you've played 106
  • edited March 2009
    And, just for the sake of confusion, Terminator Three Was a bad movie.

Yeah, it really was. My friends and I deemed it "not canon to the Terminator series."

Also, each season of Sam & Max will be a single download on XBLA? I assume you haven't finalized pricing yet, but any idea what the filesize will be?
  • edited March 2009
    I never bought into the allure of "achievements", and I still really don't get what the big deal is.
  • edited March 2009
    I never bought into the allure of "achievements", and I still really don't get what the big deal is.

They are what put fun back into videogames for me. For me Achievements add a lot to games and can even stretch the playtime you get out of a game. And the best part: If you don't like them you can still ignore them.
    I still would like to see steamworks achievements for all TellTaleGames.
  • edited April 2009

It's the same allure that brings people like myself to go after many things in games. It's the equivalent of trying to obtain all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 on the N64. In some ways it's identical to the same "unlockables" that have been in games for years, but the brilliance of it is to combine it with EVERY single game available and the online community. It really provides a whole new way to game. It's gotten me to play some games in ways I never would have before.

But at the same time, I'm the type of gamer who regularly goes back through games to fill them in and I've been that way since the NES. I know there are people out there who buy one or two games a year and rarely finish more than half of them. So I can understand how the appeal of achievements can completely pass some people by. But as der_ketzer said, if you don't like 'em, just ignore them. It's the same as it was ignoring the 120 stars in Mario and burning through the "story" in a few hours. Having achievements just gives the rest of us more objectives to shoot for and another reason to pop in that $60 purchase for a little more play time.

In Sam & Max though, I'd imagine the achievements will be the standard achievements (i.e. finish this section for an achievement, pick up a specific item... etc). I hope they don't have anything along the lines of "finish the game in under XXX amount of time". Sam & Max isn't a game that should be rushed.
  • edited April 2009
    I get the allure of achivements. But to buy a game ONLY for those? When you get to that point, it's an addiction rather than something to add to the fun.
  • edited April 2009
    There is some ideas:
    20- "Does not compute! Does not compute!" You beat Reality 2.0
    10- "happy exorcism Maxy Brown !!!" You did the exorcism in Ice station Santa
    20- "It's a happy freelance Christmas miracle" you beat Ice Station Santa
    10- "It's tropical, dude" you beat Moai Better Blues
  • SegSeg
    edited April 2009
    You all may be interested in reading this article on Gamasutra:

Unlocking Achievements: Rewarding Skill With Player Incentives
  • edited April 2009
    From ^that article

"...people playing games that they would never play [for the achievement points]."

Wow, MMO grind now available in any game you choose!
  • edited April 2009
    On a related note, I did enjoy getting 120 stars in Mario64 :)
  • edited April 2009
    I get the allure of achivements. But to buy a game ONLY for those? When you get to that point, it's an addiction rather than something to add to the fun.

Very true indeed! But with that said, I know quite a few people who are obsessed with achievements (IMO) and I've never seen one to buy a game ONLY for achievements. The only influence achievements have on me are to get me to go back to games I enjoyed to get a bit more out of them (currently I'm replaying some GTA to fill in some extra stuff I didn't have time for).

For myself, I let achievements decide where I play my games. I own all three systems and if a game comes out on multiple consoles I pick it up on the 360. Achievements are a good part of the reason why, but also because of the community. My Gamertag is my online gaming presence and I have around 12 friends and family on that list. On the PS3 I have one friend and on the Wii... none! Being online in the same community helps me keep connected with friends I don't have that much time to see anymore and we do spend time comparing achievements.
    Quuux wrote: »
    On a related note, I did enjoy getting 120 stars in Mario64 :)

But was meeting Yoshi really worth it? I thought they should have at least let you replay the game with Yoshi as a mount. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who feels compelled to do these things! :)
  • edited April 2009
    Re Mario64: I didn't even know what the reward would be, I just enjoyed the game - not really a big fan of the previous games and haven't had a compatible console for the later ones.
  • edited April 2009
    Quuux wrote: »
    Re Mario64: I didn't even know what the reward would be, I just enjoyed the game - not really a big fan of the previous games and haven't had a compatible console for the later ones.

Isn't it weird how Mario 64 became that sort of icon for a certain generation? I think I'm in roughly the same boat. I played the earlier games, more out of a lack of anything better to play (though I did play a LOT of SMB3). And since then, I haven't really connected with a Mario game. I have heard great things about Galaxies, but it's still sitting on my shelf un-opened. I should pop that in.

And sadly, half the reason I got my 120 stars was to see Yoshi. It was a bit of a let down. :( It was fun to do, and I don't regret it. I would've done it anyway just to fill them all in.
  • edited April 2009
    jab1981 wrote: »
    But was meeting Yoshi really worth it? I thought they should have at least let you replay the game with Yoshi as a mount. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who feels compelled to do these things! :)

Yeah in Super Mario Galaxy, when you get all stars you atleast get
    the story replayed as Luigi, then when you get all of those stars you get a bonus mission playable with both characters, then completing those, you get bonus pictures for your Wii per character
    wow alot while getting all stars in 64,
    you get to see yoshi and get 99 lives when you dont at all need them.
    Wait a minute, when did Mario appear in a Sam and Max XBLA achievements forum.
  • edited April 2009
    because anything can happen.
  • edited April 2009
    Wow, that really makes me want to actually pop in Galaxy and give it a spin, or at least finally take it out of the package. That's quite a bit to get to! I wish that had been an option with Mario 64, back then I'd have had a lot more time to invest in the hunt!

And I'm to blame for the Mario discussion. ;) But I'd say it's mostly for lack of any Sam and Max XBLA related news. I'm beginning to think TellTale cares not for what little remains of my mental stability.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.