Musing on PC Controllers

edited March 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
I found videogamer.com's interview (that Tjibbbe posted a link to) quite interesting - especially the bit about controlling the game with the Xbox 360 pad.

It did get me wondering though: Which control method would Telltale see as superior?
For example, how are the controls going to be done on the PC?

I assume that there will be at least an option for a point and click interface, due to the number of people who are used to it and the fact that we all have a mouse on our desk, whereas most PC owners would not have an Xbox 360 controller.
But will we have the option of using the 360's gamepad as well?

For those who don't know, the 360 controllers an plug pretty much straight into a PC. If you want the wireless ones working you need to get a wireless dongle, but it's still possible.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I would assume the PC version will support USB gamepads, and I would hope at the very least that it will allow use of the mouse in place of the right analog stick, which is essencially used for the pointing at objects in the 360 version. I don't particularly expect that you can navigate using traditional point and click in the PC version, but I guess we'll see!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    I played through the game last night using the keyboard controls, and I have to say they felt very comfortable to me. It's sort of a direct control / point & click hybrid. I think it's better to let you guys try it when the time comes rather than trying too hard to explain it, since this is the kind of thing you have to experience to know if you're going to like it. :D But I'm a point & click fan and I liked it, so there you go. :)

At this point it's pretty certain that gamepads will be supported on the PC. I'm wondering how many of the point & click diehards out there will be willing to check out the game this way? A few years ago I bought a gamepad for direct control games, and it has made all the difference to me...
  • edited March 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    I'm wondering how many of the point & click diehards out there will be willing to check out the game this way?

Just as long as our cursor doesn't repeatedly shout "Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen!" we'll be fine...
  • edited March 2009
    Well, Grim Fandango was much better on gamepad than keyboard. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • edited March 2009
    I hope this doesn't start a trend of point n click being phased out. Again.
  • edited March 2009
    I've got an Xbox 360 controller for my PC, but I'd much prefer to play using a mouse (...and keyboard) since I'm playing on the PC and the control system should work well on it.
  • edited March 2009
    I want to play the game using my wired X-plorer guitar.
  • langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Someone in the office did find that you can almost fully play the game with a Guitar Hero guitar. Of course, we don't recommend it.
  • edited March 2009
    Ummm. I guess it's time to dig up my ForceEX steering wheel, then. In any case, I expect there will be driving sequences :)
  • SegSeg
    edited March 2009
    langley wrote: »
    Someone in the office did find that you can almost fully play the game with a Guitar Hero guitar. Of course, we don't recommend it.
    That someone is me!

That 'test' was on the Xbox 360. Needed to check and make sure the console doesn't blow up when using a non-Xbox360 standard controller. No explosions, and it sorta worked. Without an left or right sticks you have to sling-shot your way around a room with look-ats and certainly not able to finish the episodes. No, I didn't bring in my Rock Band drum kit in to try that out and no it won't work.

As for the Windows side, I extremely doubt you would be able to play, if you even get past the ability to even enter in controls. For the Xbox360, the button mappings are few and fixed. On Windows the possibilities are endless so it's anyone's guess.

While playing on a Guitar controller won't do anything to break an Xbox360, you're not going to be able to play this game completely with it. I'm sure some of you will try anyway and post YouTube videos about it. Can't stop you from doing this, but please understand and communicate that it's just a stupid trick for fun.

Make sure to post the link to the videos. :)
  • edited March 2009
    Now I feel obligated to actually do it
Sign in to comment in this discussion.