Control feedback?

[TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
edited July 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Hello everyone!

I'm the engineer responsible for the controls. After you folks play through the demo, I'd like to hear your initial impressions and nitpicks about the control scheme. Then I'd like to hear from you again after you've played through a full episode or two.

Not sure if a readme for controls shipped with the demo, but here's some stuff anyway:
  • If the inventory is closed, mouse wheel will cycle through your inventory items.
  • If the inventory is open, and you have a bunch of inventory items, mouse wheel will scroll the inventory.
  • The game can be played entirely with the keyboard.
  • Q and E cycle through selectable items on screen.
  • Hold Tab to make all the selectable items on screen stand out.
  • Shift opens your inventory.
  • Space activates items.
  • Control skips dialog and backs out of closeups.

And uhhh... there's probably other stuff I'll post when I remember. We mapped keys everywhere to try and give you guys as many options as possible.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I thought the control system was pretty intuitive, within a few minutes of playing around I was able to complete the demo without having to think "Ok, how do I do this again?". The only problem I found was that sometimes the cycling through selectable items was not immediate but there was a second or so delay. I think that's due to selecting higher visual settings than I should have so I'll try again :P Other than that I can't think of anything else...

EDIT: I played with the Xbox 360 controller, gotta try the keyboard too.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I thought the keyboard layout worked just fine. It is a bit weird after using all of Telltale's other games just with the mouse, but after a few times of trying to move Wallace with the mouse and having nothing happen, I got used to the setup.

I'd like to try a gamepad with it, but the demo didn't seem to recognize my Saitek Rumble Force gamepad.
  • edited March 2009
    I used my Logitech gamepad (basically the same as PS2) and it was good enough after I got used to it. I think I'd prefer the mouse only, though.
  • edited March 2009
    My initial impression is that I will need to get used to using wasd for movement, I still keep trying to click to move out of habit. I like the fact that I can bring up inventory with the keyboard.
  • edited March 2009
    I thought the controls were pretty nice. I jused the keyboard+mouse combo - didn't know you could play using just the keyboard. Is that the recommended scheme?

I have one complain though - I think the behaviour is weird when the camera changes angle - sometimes I found that initially the controls behave strange in the first second after the camera change (like left would suddenly be down etc.). Did this happen to anyone else?
  • edited March 2009
    I liked the controls mostly, although I would like a mouse sensitivity option, since the cursor felt a little floaty. I also found myself trying to click to move instinctively.
  • edited March 2009
    here's my two cents:
    it was easy to get used to the controls, sometimes I felt a bit disoriented as Wallace moved in an unexpected direction, but it may be because I'm too used to playing shooters on the arrow keys. it's definitely worse when Wallace moves so far to the edge of the screen that he isn't visible - though it's a camera change issue in itself.

I am baffled by one thing, though. there are two scenes in the demo - one is the walking-around-adventuring type, and the other is hi-adrenaline action. now, you're direct controlling Wallace in the first scene, where point-and-click would be perfectly adequate, and there's no direct control for Gromit in the second, where it could amplify the heat of the action. :confused:

all in all, it seems to be a good control scheme, the players will need a bit of time to settle in it, and I also think there'll be much polishing going into it during the series.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    matan wrote: »
    I thought the controls were pretty nice. I jused the keyboard+mouse combo - didn't know you could play using just the keyboard. Is that the recommended scheme?

I think that the recommended scheme is whatever the tutorial advises you to do. All of the other control schemes are there as sort of "power user" options. Play however it feels comfortable. :)
    matan wrote: »
    I have one complain though - I think the behaviour is weird when the camera changes angle - sometimes I found that initially the controls behave strange in the first second after the camera change (like left would suddenly be down etc.). Did this happen to anyone else?

This is an interesting artifact from the way we handle camera relative movement. If you cross from one camera to another, movement is still relative to the old camera until you stop moving.
  • edited March 2009
    Downloaded the demo to try it out, didn't like the controls. I'm sure they're good for this kind of control scheme but to be perfectly blunt, I'd *much* prefer regular point and click controls.
  • edited March 2009
    Honestly, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it could be.

BUT.

I honestly felt it was a point-and-click game that seemed to unnecessarily demand that you use the keyboard for movement. Really, it just kind of feels unnatural for me to use the keyboard(I tried moving Wallace with the mouse several times). It felt most natural to me when I was playing as Gromit and his movement was limited to animations that played when I selected things(and, as such, used the mouse for everything).

Using the keyboard to open up the inventory was nice.

Using Tab to show all selectable items is alright. It's nice to have everything you can use laid out for you so that it's not a pixel-hunt game. It's something I'll use when I get stuck though, since I like to mess around and see what I can mess with when I first enter a room in an adventure game. I messed with so many objects in Wallace's garden that obviously correlate to other puzzles, and it took me way longer than it should have to achieve that rather simple objective because I was trying to get a million other things to achieve my goal for me. For example:

"Where's that cricket thing? Can I substitute something for it? Oh, perhaps the pinwheel....hey! That's neat. What does this pinwheel do? Oh! Do they do anything different? Does one swing one way? Oh, hey! There's a robot in there! What am I supposed to do with that? I wish I had some items to mess with...."

Anyway, I'm getting off the topic of the controls.

Basically? Mouse control for movement would have been nice, and it seems like it would have worked. Not even as the default, but tucked away in the Settings menu. Because unless there's something I haven't seen in the demo(which is quite likely!), I don't see a reason that Wallace CAN'T be moved by the mouse.

EDIT:

Oh! Another thing I wanted to mention.

I find it EXTREMELY odd that it only tells you what you're interacting with when you are combining items. For example, if you try to combine the crank with the buttons, it'll tell you what they do. But otherwise, you're just gonna press them to figure it out. I don't really see a reason that you can't identify items when you just highlight them with the cursor as well?
    edited March 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    Downloaded the demo to try it out, didn't like the controls. I'm sure they're good for this kind of control scheme but to be perfectly blunt, I'd *much* prefer regular point and click controls.

I'm sorry to hear that. We would have liked to provide a point-and-click option, but it just didn't work with the more cinematic framing of some of the game's areas. I hope you'll understand and give the game a fair shake for what it is.
  • edited March 2009
    I can see a couple of problems with pure mouse-control. For instance, when talking to your neighbour (name escapes me, I didn't listen to every conversation, I want to do that in the actual game), you can't see Wallace's feet or the ground, so leaving that camera shot would be difficult. Of course, you could solve this by a simple 'right click to leave the scene' like used in previous episodes, but I suspect there will be other areas where you won't see the ground, or only part of the ground.

I thought about it a bit, and I think I do prefer 100% mouse control for the pc. It's a great adaption for the 360, and I can't think of a better control system for a console adventure of this kind, but on pc, it made walking around and interacting with items harder then it should be. But I do like the movie-like camera angles, an extremely nice chance from what we're used to. I wouldn't want to lose that. It's a difficult issue!
  • edited March 2009
    i thought control system was very good but i woud lik 2 things fixed before main release:
    1. Mouse was very unresponsive . kept dragging behind where it was suppose to be
    2. when you were gromit on top of the ladder i found it very hard to click on wallace and not poke the queen bee

Other than those im very much looking foward to the full release and have the games pre ordered
  • edited March 2009
    Prefer the old controls, myself.
  • edited March 2009
    I thought the controls were very intuitive, after just a couple of minutes I was right into it. BUT there's one big annoyance for me: I can't configure the keys. And since I live in Belgium where our keyboard layout is azerty instead of qwerty, I can't navigate using the WASD scheme. Well, I could of course, but the keys aren't in a good layout to do that, ZQSD would be the working equivalent for me. Now I know I could use the arrow keys (as I did while playing the demo), but due to the way my keyboard and mouse are positioned on my desktop, this is not a really comfortable way of playing. But that's my only problem, the rest is quite nice.
    edited March 2009
    Lapino wrote: »
    I can't navigate using the WASD scheme.

We're looking into a solution for non-QWERTY keyboard layouts. If you find arrow keys/mouse uncomfortable, you could try playing with just the keyboard. There's a WASD cluster of bound keys, a cluster around the arrow keys, and a cluster on the numpad.

I hope you find something that works comfortably for you while we look into this issue.
  • edited March 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    We're looking into a solution for non-QWERTY keyboard layouts. If you find arrow keys/mouse uncomfortable, you could try playing with just the keyboard. There's a WASD cluster of bound keys, a cluster around the arrow keys, and a cluster on the numpad.

I hope you find something that works comfortably for you while we look into this issue.

Is there any particular reason you can't just let us map the controls to the keys ourselves? Wouldn't that be the best solution for non-standard keyboard layouts or custom control schemes?
  • edited March 2009
    I thought the keyboard-mouse scheme was very intuitive, and I'm happy using it. Much nicer control than Grim Fandango/Monkey Island 4.

I have a thrustmaster (firestorm dual analog 3 gamepad) too, so decided to seee if it would work. I was hoping 'generic' gamepads would be supported, even if not explicitly tested & listed, but the game's not seeing it at all, unfortunately.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    ruppy99 wrote: »
    i thought control system was very good but i woud lik 2 things fixed before main release:
    1. Mouse was very unresponsive . kept dragging behind where it was suppose to be
    2. when you were gromit on top of the ladder i found it very hard to click on wallace and not poke the queen bee

Other than those im very much looking foward to the full release and have the games pre ordered

If your mouse feels unresponsive, it is most likely because you have your graphics settings up a bit too high. If you turn them down a bit, you will find that the mouse becomes much more responsive.
    edited March 2009
    Is there any particular reason you can't just let us map the controls to the keys ourselves?

We didn't have the resources to create a nice keymapping system for this project.
  • edited March 2009
    We didn't have the resources to create a nice keymapping system for this project.

How about giving us an Autohotkey script along with the game?
    Jennifer wrote: »
    I thought the keyboard layout worked just fine. It is a bit weird after using all of Telltale's other games just with the mouse, but after a few times of trying to move Wallace with the mouse and having nothing happen, I got used to the setup.

I'd like to try a gamepad with it, but the demo didn't seem to recognize my Saitek Rumble Force gamepad.

I tried to get a 360 pad working with it as well, but no joy. Which was odd because I thought they were going to be offically supported.
    Did you guys disabled the gamepad support in the demo so you could get more feedback on the mouse and keyboard controls? Or is there something special I need to do in order to play with it?
  • edited March 2009
    graphics setting is at 1 game runs really smoothly other than mouse
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    I tried to get a 360 pad working with it as well, but no joy. Which was odd because I thought they were going to be offically supported. Did you guys disabled the gamepad support in the demo so you could get more feedback on the mouse and keyboard controls? Or is there something special I need to do in order to play with it?

Wired Xbox 360 controllers and Logitech gamepads should work in the ddemo. I don't think we've tested other brands. Did you have the 360 controller plugged in before launching the demo?
  • edited March 2009
    For people with gamepad problems, you should take look into a program called Pinnacle Game Profiler. It works wonders for those old (and new!) games that don't support pads correctly or at all.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    For what it's worth, try to be sure your gamepad is plugged in before you launch the game. It'll probably the odds of it working.
    edited March 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    I tried to get a 360 pad working with it as well, but no joy.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that Windows does not recognize wireless Xbox 360 controllers -only wired ones.
  • edited March 2009
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe that Windows does not recognize wireless Xbox 360 controllers -only wired ones.
    There's a dongle that lets Windows PCs recognize wireless 360 controllers. That's what I use for a gamepad. Amazon has one here. It's cheaper than getting a new gamepad, and it's what I have.
  • edited March 2009
    i have no gripe with the keyboard controls. but i still need to try the gamepad.
  • edited March 2009
    I liked the new WASD controls, however they are a huge problem. When you move Wallace outside, the camera remaps the controls constantly. A is sometimes down, and once you move to a certain point it become up.

It's very confusing.
    There's a dongle that lets Windows PCs recognize wireless 360 controllers. That's what I use for a gamepad. Amazon has one here. It's cheaper than getting a new gamepad, and it's what I have.

I have one too
  • edited March 2009
    I have the same wireless dongle thing for my 360 controller. I couldn't get it working with your game, but at the same time I'm not convinced the controller was working at all.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Only wired remotes work. Wireless xbox controllers use a whole different driver set.
  • edited March 2009
    I honestly felt it was a point-and-click game that seemed to unnecessarily demand that you use the keyboard for movement.

Although I had no problems with the controls, and I'm sure it'll work even better when I plug in my gamepad, that's pretty much the impression I got as well.
  • edited March 2009
    Will wrote: »
    If your mouse feels unresponsive, it is most likely because you have your graphics settings up a bit too high. If you turn them down a bit, you will find that the mouse becomes much more responsive.

That's exactly the test I used to know when I'd turned the graphics to the correct level. When the mouse pointer moved responsively without skipping.
  • edited March 2009
    my major problem is that the controls are all over the shop, I wouldve been fine with just a point and click game, also, using the arrows is much harder when not from a straight angle, because as the angles change so do the controls, which is difficult
  • edited March 2009
    I would have to agree with quite a few people on here and say that while the WASD and arrow key controls are usable, they are not preferable. Even half-way through playing the demo I leaned back and tried to move Wallace with the mouse alone... clicking on areas that in past games would have moved the character there. Instead, I had to sit back forward and use the mixed controls. I would love to sit back and use my wireless 360 gamepad, but apparently it is not currently supported (x-padder is always an option, but I would prefer support out of the box).

While we haven't seen all environments and framing, I do highly question the impossibility of mouse only controls. Keyboard controls are so far proving to be more of an inconvenience, and do not add immersion to the gameplay as I thought they might. Despite this, I am loving that you included the ability to cycle between inventory and selectable items. Such a system is almost better than an in-game help system.
  • edited March 2009
    I concur with the "fully point and click" preference on controls. the only time when using the arrow keys is better is when you have sprawling landscapes that would be tedious to navigate at an interval of one screen length at a time... Holding the arrow key to continuously move is preferable in this case.

What you have here is a point and click interface thats controlled by arrow keys... It would have been better to just abandon the free roam aspect (there is not much to "roam" in each set anyways) and use the mouse to move Wallace around the room by clicking on sections of it (doing this would also change the POV at the same time)... While it would not be a "node based" control scheme per-se, it would eliminate most problems associated with BOTH control schemes.

This tactic would also introduce a "cinnematic" quality to the games... making them feel more like the shorts and movies. (as moving between the "nodes" could also trigger various animations and dynamic camera moves as well)

But, what do I know... ;)
  • edited March 2009
    I loved the demo. It takes a little time to get used to the keyboard+mouse controls, but after that it's really nice.

I tried to play with my Logitech gamepad (ChillStream) but the demo didn't recognize it. why? I plugged in the gamepad before I launched the game.
  • edited March 2009
    Honestly, I loved the Sam and Max games and pre-ordered them blindly and I love the whole animation franchises, from W&G, over Shawn the Sheep, Chicken run and whatever. I thought, this would be the same with the W&G game, but as I figured out the controls, I decided NOT to buy it. Sorry, but the controls are pure crap. This is an adventure game and an adventure game without pure point and click controls doesn't work out at all. Haven't you guys learned something from the bad performance of Grim Fandango and MI IV? Or the later installments of Broken Sword? These controls may work on the console, but the regular adventure player on the pc doesn't even has a control pad. Do you really want to sacrifice this series on the pc for the sales on the x-box? I came over from www.adventure-treff.de, which is the leading adventure site here in germany, and there is pure horror about this ridiculous decision. Please, go into yourselves, and make this game, what it should be. A good aventure game.
  • edited March 2009
    I just tried it and I hated the controls. I may like them as soon as my gamepads are working with the game (right now, neither the wired xbox360 pad nor my thrustmaster pc pad are working, both plugged in before starting the game) - aren't they supposed to work?

When playing adventure games I like to lean back and enjoy the game, not hunching uncomfortable over the keyboard. Also my left hand gets tired and aches quickly when using the wasd-controls

At the moment I really regret that I preordered the season already...
  • edited March 2009
    SunSailor wrote: »
    Please, go into yourselves, and make this game, what it should be. A good aventure game.

Come on, let's not over-react. :p
    This is a pure and straight adventure game. If adventure games were defined by the control method, Grim Fandango wouldn't be an adventure game (and we all know it's one of the best).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.