Bone and my kids

edited September 2005 in Bone
:))

Do any of you guys have kids. I just played with my seven year old and he would not let me get at the controls. Just loved the game. Show it to your kids too.

I found it beautiful and very authentic to Jeff's original. As a long time Bone fan I was worried that they would not stick to the vision

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Yeah, I showed my 4 year old daughter and 3 year old son. They had turns at walking and looking and picking stuff up, and let me do the river crossing and select the dialogue tree stuff (though they helped me choose what to say).

My daughter got a bit apprehensive after first seeing the Rat Creatures when they dropped the torch, so was a bit worried about navigating the torchlit rock section (coupled with the scary music with the thumping and wailing). But after the morning she was back into it again, but let me use the mouse.

And as Hide & Seek is their favourite game, they loved the possum kids.

Great fun all around...
  • edited September 2005
    My son was glued to my side the entire time I played it. He wants me to play it again. He's 5 and its a bit beyond him but I might let him give it a try.
  • edited September 2005
    My kids aged 5, 9, 10, 11 and 12 were in the test focus groups and they really liked the game. I was pleased to see that they were able to enjoy a game like this with a little less "shooter, action, chase" activity and more "interaction and thinking necessary".

They are already suggesting to me games and puzzles that would work well in the next Bone game: The great cow race. I have been channelling their perspectives to the Telltale team.

I think one challenge will be to create games that can be played at either an easy or advanced level. My kids get stuck if the games are too hard, but I recognize that all the experienced gamers in the forums felt that the Bone games were too easy and so they moved through the game too fast

Any one else with kids have a point of view on this?
  • edited September 2005
    The Nancy Drew games are intended for kids but are enjoyed by a lot of adults, too. I've never played one, but my understanding is that the player can set the difficulty level. It might be worth looking at how Her Interactive does this and how the easy game differs from the hard game, to get some ideas for Bone.

Also, it's worth remembering that many of us in our 20s and 30s now played the old Sierra and LucasArts games as kids, even though those games weren't "for kids". Bone is the first adventure game to come out in a long time that's not specifically for kids, but can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike. We had a long conversation about this at Adventure Gamers earlier this year - it goes off topic eventually (all good conversations do!) but the early part of the thread might give Telltale some ideas for making games that appeal to kids and adults equally.
  • edited September 2005
    I'm discovering the downside to showing my nearly-three-year old son the game.

He hasn't stopped repeating the line "The old grey mare, the old GREY mare, the OLD grey mare, the OLD grey MARE..." for three solid days.

No matter how much I encourage him, he seems unable to add the second line to the song (though he can sing other songs perfectly fine).

Hrumph. Thanks Telltale. X-(

If I'm not careful I'm gonna end up sounding like Phoney bone and getting mad on his ass. :p
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    I'm discovering the downside to showing my nearly-three-year old son the game.

He hasn't stopped repeating the line "The old grey mare, the old GREY mare, the OLD grey mare, the OLD grey MARE..." for three solid days.

No matter how much I encourage him, he seems unable to add the second line to the song (though he can sing other songs perfectly fine).

Hrumph. Thanks Telltale. X-(

This brings me such joy, words cannot express.

[:">]
  • edited September 2005
    The Nancy Drew games are intended for kids but are enjoyed by a lot of adults, too. I've never played one, but my understanding is that the player can set the difficulty level. It might be worth looking at how Her Interactive does this and how the easy game differs from the hard game, to get some ideas for Bone.

In the Nancy Drew games, there are three levels that are selectable and each harder difficulty has more clues to find before solving and less obvious clues - in the easier version, clues are verbal also
Sign in to comment in this discussion.