My review on Episode 1 (SPOILERS)!

edited March 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Well I just finished Episode One, and frankly, I was disappointed.

The beginning was fun,
Playing Gromit was fun and exploring the house
but it got easy after a bit.
After you get Wallace's breakfast you pretty much know what to do if you played the demo.
I spent a couple hours figuring out how to get the
Flowers
for the bees. I kept getting things wrong, eventually after I got the
Purple Pansies
I knew what to do after that.

The final scenes,
You play as Gromit again
and yes I was disappointed when I finished that scene in only a couple minutes, with no hints! Which stinks because when I was looking for the flowers, the camera kept shifting up to that deck thing and Wallace kept saying
Purple Pansies
, and that was the hint! Nothing else! Next off was the music for that scene, when everyone was screaming and stuff they didn't match the tone of the music; which you can't turn down at all! After I did everything... I got to the
Queen Bee
, and I knew what to do even after I defeated her outside the tunnel. It wasn't hard at all, and for 4 Episodes, it was short. Not exactly what I was expecting, but the gameplay is fun it's enjoyable, and it's a great game, but it's to short. Hopefully, Episode 2-4 won't bee.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I have to agree with some of this but it didn't bother me one bit... the game was great fun to play and that is all I could ask for. By the way if you turn the hints off then the camera won't shift at all... leaving you to figure it all out yourself.
    I can't help but feel that the demo gave too much way though. I knew what was going to happen before it did (the final scenes)
    Anyway thanks for the great episode.. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one.
  • edited March 2009
    The demo was most of the problem, I shouldn't have played it, but I wanted Wallace & Gromit, stupid me. :p
  • edited March 2009
    I just played the game for the second time and here is what I think.

Act 1 - Make Breakfast
    Honey(not much of a puzzle, might have helped if the jar was somewhere else in the house so it would have been challenging but all I had to do was click on the honey pump)
    Toast(okay better there was a puzzle here)
    Eggs(a puzzle, how to get the egg from the chicken to the flying pan)

Act 2 - Grow Flowers Fast
    Grotein Bar(three mini puzzles)
    Energides(homage to Everready batteries?(mini puzzle to free the metal rodent))
    Strongium(three mini puzzles to get teabag)

Act 3 - Deal with Giant Bees
    Shot Bees in Garden(three mini puzzles)
    Put Bees to Sleep(two mini puzzles)
    Town Bees(two mini puzzles)

Act 4 - Queen Bee Boss Level
    Rescue Wallace
    Shoot Queen

And that is basically it. I did expect another act given its only 4 episodes. But to be honest the S&M and Strong Bad episodes have more puzzles.
  • edited March 2009
    daro2096 wrote: »
    But to be honest the S&M and Strong Bad episodes have more puzzles.

I agree with you, Wallace & Gromit was great but you'd expect more for 4 Episodes.
  • edited March 2009
    splash1 wrote: »
    It wasn't hard at all, and for 4 Episodes, it was short, not exactly what I was expecting, but the gameplay is fun, it's enjoyable, and it's a great game, but it's to short.

I would say that the real goal is not to try to finish the game as sooner as possible, but try everything in the game, explore it, get all the fun of it. And, even when you defeated it, play it again and try to show other funny things (sometimes, as we could see in S&M, the puzzles can change a bit). That's a lot of humor in these that you can't show up by playing so fast.

And daro2096, next time please, use [ spoiler]...[/spoiler ] tags (without spaces in the tag name) :-)
  • edited March 2009
    Compared to Sam & Max, this first episode of W&G does not offer as much "exploratory poking around" opportunities: trying various items on different characters or things often elicits funny comments in S&M, but in W&G it usually just result in Wallace's saying "It wouldn't be prudent", "It does not make sense" or such like. Imagine the missed opportunities: waving the
    teabag
    to each of the neighbours in turn, showing
    the dog tags to Dibbins
    , or
    sticking various stuff inside Dibbin's hemlet

Also, 4 save slots are too few for those who wants to go back to some favorite parts of the game.
  • edited March 2009
    Mwyann wrote: »
    I would say that the real goal is not to try to finish the game as sooner as possible, but try everything in the game, explore it, get all the fun of it. And, even when you defeated it, play it again and try to show other funny things (sometimes, as we could see in S&M, the puzzles can change a bit). That's a lot of humor in these that you can't show up by playing so fast.

And daro2096, next time please, use [ spoiler]...[/spoiler ] tags (without spaces in the tag name) :-)

I don't think I said anything that would be spoiler worthy.
  • edited March 2009
    daro2096 wrote: »
    I don't think I said anything that would be spoiler worthy.

You might not have had any spoilers for puzzles, but you had plenty of plot spoilers. I would have put most of the post in spoiler tags.
  • edited March 2009
    Great graphics, gameplay experience - tedious. Would not play it again. Remove the gameplay element and you have a passable Wallace & Gromit animation. I don't expect the other episodes to be radically different. Deference to the original Wallace & Gromit has clouded Telltale's judgement in producing a game worth playing, in my humble opinion.
  • edited March 2009
    IMHO the real problem is the repetition of the "three-quests" structure.
    Classic (and good) adventure games use this structure to make gameplay non-linear: nothing wrong about that, but Telltale chose to produce episodic gaming!
    Because of that, we've been playing this same structure over and over again since The Great Cow Race (Max even made fun of that in an episode of Sam & Max). I think W&G Ep1 was funny, but the puzzle design is starting to feel formulaic and might be considered a disappointment by Telltale veterans like us. Whoever discovers Telltale games for the first time with W&G won't have any problem. ;)
    I'm with Kevin in the Gameboomer interview. Time to shake things up a bit.

About the play time: I've beaten the game in 3h and I swear I didn't breeze through it. I took my time to explore the scenery and enjoy the wonderful graphics. It's easier and surely less beefy than Sam & Max Seasons.

P.S.: I played a review copy of W&G ep1, so I've just tried the demo... well, it's FULL OF SPOILERS!!! Come on, guys... keep the demo simpler next time around. :p
  • edited March 2009
    in all, i loved this game though i must admit i had to check the walkthrough a couple of times ;) . I found the last scenes cut short a bit though.i thought the part when you had to collect the growth formula ingrediants was a bit unrealistc too, all the ingrediants were easy to get and all happened to be right under your nose.in my opinion this game would get 8/10! love it :D x
  • edited March 2009
    Diduz wrote: »
    P.S.: I played a review copy of W&G ep1, so I've just tried the demo... well, it's FULL OF SPOILERS!!! Come on, guys... keep the demo simpler next time around. :p

Yeah, I actually was really disappointed when I got to the end that most of the grand finale was spoiled in the demo. The demo should either be only the first few minutes of the game, or a completely new adventure (as in Freddy Pharkas or Space Quest 6 demos). Spoiling the ending is the worst thing to do.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.