GiantBomb.com Interview

GiantBomb have just put up a new video where they interview Kevin and Andy about Telltale in general, and then more specifically Wallace & Gromit. It is interesting listening to Kevin say how they want to expand into their own genre - "telltale" - and it sounded to me as if he was suggesting that they were ditching point and click altogether, which concerns me slightly.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the link! Hadn't seen this yet.
  • edited March 2009
    I've always thought that W&G interface was taking the place of point 'n' click, despite the team not being too explicit about the subject.

The whole point is that the experimentation with new interfaces should go hand in hand with an experimentation in game design. I liked the first installment of W&G, but it's even less experimental than SGCGFAP. The puzzle design is incredibly akin to the Sam & Max one, which worked great through point 'n' click. I think we're at a crossroad right now.
    If they want to keep going on the direct-control path, they need to rethink the game-design to better suit that, otherwise the new interface will always feel unnecessary.

Kevin talks about rpg and/or rts influences. If this means we could skip the nth reiteration of the three-quests puzzle structure, I'm all with it.
    On the contrary, if Telltale thinks the old structures are still effective, let's get back to point 'n' click, because there's really no other way to play through a classic adventure game in a more comfortable manner... at least on the PC.

If there's one thing W&G ep. 1 suffers from, that's its being a hybrid step towards that "other" type of game Kevin is hinting at.

P.S.: By the way, W&G feels very cinematic, but I felt Sam & Max Seasons were pretty cinematic as well.
  • edited March 2009
    Nice interview. but i dont hope Telltale starts making other wierd games, look where that brought Lucas Arts the king of adventure games, is now the dirt of the garbage bin.

Telltale should stick to improving point'n'click genre, its only recently starting to be revived, the the fascion we like and know :)
  • edited March 2009
    The main interesting point I took from that interview was that Telltale were more focused on Episodic games than Adventure games. (In fact that generated quite a long discussion in our house-hold.)

It is interesting because it's true, and it really shows in the games Telltale make.

You're never going to get Telltale making a game as clever as Day of the Tentacle or the like; the puzzles they come up with just aren't anywhere near that level.
    But Telltale's games are still good, they're just good in different ways - for example, seeing how the the story-lines and the cast members evolve each month.

Penny Arcade have showed that an Episodic RPG can work, so I'm sure that Telltale could pull one off too. Besides, if a full-length RPG involves traveling from town to town, it's plot in most RPGs are divided into different areas anyway so an RPG would be suitable.
    Although on a personal note, if you guys do try an RPG, please make it an Eastern-style one because I hate WRPGs :(
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    I'd hate to see more classic adventure bits disappear from their games.

I wouldn't worry about that. We're committed to making games that tell good stories. We're just not going to limit ourselves by saying that the only way to tell a good story in a game is by making the SCUMM style games of the 1990s. It's not the same as what LucasArts did when they stopped making story games altogether to focus on other genres.

You guys have already seen the type of innovation he's talking about in the games we've made, but if we've done our jobs right, you didn't sit back at the end and go, "Whoa, they totally deviated from the adventure game formula there!" You just said, "Whoa, that was a great story!" :D
  • edited March 2009
    Hated the contents of this interview. Judging from that interview, Telltale will become a company I like less and less. All this experimenting with various genres and all that - I really didn't like hearing that. I love Telltale because they're making games in my favourite genre of all time, I don't want 'hybrids' and all that.

Another thing that really worries me about this interview is that it indicates I might have been right about my initial worry when hearing about the keyboard controls in Wallace & Gromit - these controls may very well be used in future games.
    He keeps talking about breaking away from "SCUMM style games" and referring to this direct control thing as "our own voice".

I'm left *very* skeptical and worrying more than ever about any future Sam & Max games. I really hope they won't speak in their own voice when making that game, now that I heard what that is.
  • edited March 2009
    As long as TTG keep bringing the quality stories, humour, and environments, I can live with a little WASD.
  • edited March 2009
    I must say if anything, try and work toward the old scumm games and integrate them, its not for fun, they are still so respected. So no breaking way, working toward Scumm TOWARD! :D

But yeah i will say Sam & Max HTR, Day of the tentacle and such games, have an almost impossible to surpase, those games are just so INSANE good, on so many levels. i still play them today. Ironicly they where my first adventure games ever.

But i do hope you will try and atleast take the best or maybe try going back to the Scumm, because sometimes going forward and making new stuff isnt always the best.

I hope for Season 3 of Sam & max, we get more humor and an intro that can rival this, i mean ive seen it 1000times, its just as good as back then when i was alittle kid! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vJioAZ1oIY

there are just so many games today where you see or hear them say, yeah well we gotta do our own things, fine just dont do it on a working games title / series. these arent adventure games ofc, but Price of persia i has gone down the drain, Splinter cell, sam fisher goes from super agent to a homeless man who throws with macrowaves. i mean come on! lol.

It just cant be bad going back and taking a look at the old scumm stuff and saying what can we use or maybe learn from it!, i doubt anyone can deny that it was some of the best in the point'nclick genre ever.
  • edited March 2009
    Related to the whole keyboard/joypad thing -
    Using a controller is the de facto way to play Wallace and Gromit and PC users who opt to continue with the keyboard and mouse will suffer for it.
    They may be suffering for a long time, also. When asked if Telltale planned to carry this control method over to their other franchises, Emily commented that Telltale's CEO, Dan Connors, has expressed an interest in using the design on any game which does not explicitly require a point-and-click interface.
    :(

(from this article - http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-09-telltale-games-proved-me-wrong-126317.phtml)
  • edited March 2009
    Considering how DEEPLY ROOTED the Sam and Max franchise is in the SCUMM adventure game tradtion, I'd REALLY hope that the Sam and Max series is considered one of those that "explicitly requires a point-and-click interface".
  • edited March 2009
    As much as WASD worked for Wallace & Gromit, please retain point-and-click for Sam & Max. Seriously. It will not be the same otherwise.
  • edited March 2009
    I reallly don't think Sam & Max will switch to WASD controls, frankly. The series has already built a fanbase with point and click controls and it wouldn't feel right to change that after two seasons. Also, pre-production for the third season started some time back (or so I recall reading) so probably it was too early to take on W&G's control scheme. Another clue (which really could mean nothing but still)is the fact that the XBLA seasons have point and click controls (there are some screens floating around)
  • edited March 2009
    I reallly don't think Sam & Max will switch to WASD controls, frankly. The series has already built a fanbase with point and click controls and it wouldn't feel right to change that after two seasons. Also, pre-production for the third season started some time back (or so I recall reading) so probably it was too early to take on W&G's control scheme. Another clue (which really could mean nothing but still)is the fact that the XBLA seasons have point and click controls (there are some screens floating around)

Sorry to say, you're in denial mode. :p
    I guess XBLA versions of S&M Seasons will retain the point 'n' click because it's hard to modify a game which was designed in "point 'n' click".
    I don't think that Telltale really began to work on the Season 3 design before Strong Bad wrapped up. They're probably designing Season 3 right now, when the W&G direct control is ready to go...
  • edited March 2009
    Nah, I was one of the people who wouldn't really mind if they do add them to S&M :p :D

Seriously though, I guess we'll have to wait and see but I doubt it'll happen. It's not like a series born from a comic needs a cinematic style...
  • edited March 2009
    Then i must say its no more adventure games for me, i find my self in Wallace and Gromet, keep clicking to move, its just so silly to have to use both hands.

No more Sam & max or strong bad, keep this control system to Wallace and Gromet please.

Instead use time improving the game, isnt of giving us inferior control system :/
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Although on a personal note, if you guys do try an RPG, please make it an Eastern-style one because I hate WRPGs :(

Really? You can tape the (X) button down and the joystick forward and make it through large chunks of most JRPGs without even being in the same room.
  • edited March 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    But yeah i will say Sam & Max HTR, Day of the tentacle and such games, have an almost impossible to surpase, those games are just so INSANE good, on so many levels. i still play them today. Ironicly they where my first adventure games ever.

That's kind of the opposite of irony. Nostalgia is a powerful filter.
  • edited March 2009
    Quuux wrote: »
    That's kind of the opposite of irony. Nostalgia is a powerful filter.

It has nothing to do with Nostalgia, its about what works, and when mouse only works best, they should keep it like that, i can live with keyboard in Wallace and gromet, but i dont like it. it feels silly when you can move with mouse much better. Sometimes bad stuff is just bad, and has nothing to do with nostalgia, but when old stuff works best, leave it at that.

its like with those bad people making bad websites, that people just need to adapt, and get use to it, thats a bad joke, because they make crappy websites. Just focus on what works. Instead of making change where change is not needed, because one wanna be different.
  • edited March 2009
    Armakuni wrote: »
    "Using a controller is the de facto way to play Wallace and Gromit and PC users who opt to continue with the keyboard and mouse will suffer for it."

(from this article - http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-09-telltale-games-proved-me-wrong-126317.phtml)
    Of course there's always the option of NOT using the mouse at all and using the keyboard (WSAD, arrow keys, number pad or a combination thereof) only all the way through in the exact same manner you would be using a gamepad. How exactly is that "suffering"?

np: The Emperor Machine - Roller Daddy (Amorphous Androgynous - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol. 1 (Disc 2))
  • edited March 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Then i must say its no more adventure games for me, i find my self in Wallace and Gromet, keep clicking to move, its just so silly to have to use both hands.
    Funny you should say that, considering the PC adventure game aisle at our local electronic store isn't exactly small...

That's kinda like stopping to listening to music just because your favourite band have "sold out"...

np: Joy Division - Something Must Break (Still)
  • edited March 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Of course there's always the option of NOT using the mouse at all and using the keyboard (WSAD, arrow keys, number pad or a combination thereof) only all the way through in the exact same manner you would be using a gamepad. How exactly is that "suffering"?
    Finger fatigue like crazy. For me anyway.
  • edited March 2009
    Finger fatigue like crazy. For me anyway.
    I know - but for most other people there's not much difference, fatigue-wise, between using a keyboard or a gamepad...

np: Tocotronic - Auf Den Hund Gekommen (Es Ist Egal, Aber)
  • edited March 2009
    Oh sorry, you quoted me so I thought your post was in reply to mine specifically.
  • edited March 2009
    Oh sorry, you quoted me so I thought your post was in reply to mine specifically.
    Nah, just in reply to the article that you quoted... :)

np: Telefon Tel Aviv - Helen of Troy (Immolate Yourself)
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, I know. Must have been a bit tired yesterday :p
  • edited March 2009
    Sign me up for the opposite opinion. An eastern RPG isn't even an RPG, because there is no "roleplay" involved. Western RPGs tend to allow you to create your own characters and

*Ahem*

On topic:

I think that the Sam and Max series has had times when it has matched and even exceeded Day of the Tentacle. Specifically, I thought that Chariots of the Dogs was better than Day of the Tentacle.

Then again, my love of that particular game isn't as high as some. Hit the Road is loved more by me than Day of the Tentacle, as well as the Space Quest series and Loom.

I'd like to think that most of Telltale's talk in this sort of interview is more rhetoric, I'd hate to see more classic adventure bits disappear from their games. It'd be LucasArts all over again. I'm not sure my adventure-gaming heart could take losing another adventure game icon.

Chariots of the Dogs definitely was a high point. I'm tempted to agree with you when you say it rivals DOTT.

Possibly I'm a bit discouraged after playing the first Wallace and Gromit game? For Telltale, I think it's a low point, but then Telltale again has had low points before, but then seems to have a habit of giving us an utterly amazing episode immediately after.

I still think Telltale could pull another genre off, but yes I do agree it would be a shame to lose a good source of adventure games.
    And I do agree with you that Western RPGs can be good, but only certain ones. ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.