Previews

I bought the series today and beat it after about 3-4 hours, and I was surprised to see that there wasn't a preview to the next episode, similar to SBCG4AP. I know that they have a whole season preview for Wallace and Gromit, but come on. The least you could do is put an "On the next episode of Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures....".

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Woah, woah, woah. Sam & Max never had previews until the next episode, and I liked that. It kept you in suspense until the screenshots and information started coming out.
  • edited March 2009
    yeah but Strong Bad did
  • edited March 2009
    I think that was more to do with giving Wii owners a preview of the next game.

Steam, Xbox Live, and of course Telltale's own site all let you put up demos and videos. The Wii Store however, does not, so even if it meant getting the video up earlier than normal it made sense to put the teaser for the next game in with the current one.
  • edited April 2009
    Yep, I'd have to agree with Chris, and Strong Bad should not be taken as a standard for every other Telltale title. Both seasons of Sam & Max didn't have previews vs. one season of Strong Bad (with it's secondary release not supporting demos or preview videos on their own) having previews. It all makes perfect sense and I see no need to complain.
  • edited April 2009
    I missed the 'next episode' thing too. Maybe the button should say 'Trailer' instead...
  • edited April 2009
    Woah, woah, woah. Sam & Max never had previews until the next episode, and I liked that. It kept you in suspense until the screenshots and information started coming out.

But Sam & Max had connected episodes, W&G as well as SB, do not.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    All of our games so far have had some overarching plot. Strongbad's wasn't as elaborate as Sam & Max, but it was there. WG also has a story arc that will develop over time, I assure you.
  • edited April 2009
    Whoawhoawhoa, what was SB's?
    At end of Homestar Ruiner, KOT threatens SB with taxes. End of Badia the Free, Sb says "I hope my band game is home" Next, The camera pans in on Dangeresque poster and Dangeresque to 8BIE is obvious.
    Is that an over arching plot?
  • edited April 2009
    I agree. There wasn't much of an overarching plot in SBCG4AP. A person who, lets say buys Episode 3, isn't going to need to know anything from Episodes 1 & 2 to play it.
  • edited April 2009
    moskow603 wrote: »
    I agree. There wasn't much of an overarching plot in SBCG4AP. A person who, lets say buys Episode 3, isn't going to need to know anything from Episodes 1 & 2 to play it.

It's the same with Sam and Max. Sure, some of the puns will go unnoticed if you haven't played the previous episodes (especially in Chariots), but you can still solve the game all right.
  • edited April 2009
    No, it isn't. SB didn't have a central villian or underlying plotline (
    such as Hugh Bliss trying to hypnotize everyone, or the Soda Poppers ruling Hell and seeking revenge on S & M
    ), as Sam & Max did.
  • edited April 2009
    No, it isn't. SB didn't have a central villian or underlying plotline (
    such as Hugh Bliss trying to hypnotize everyone, or the Soda Poppers ruling Hell and seeking revenge on S & M
    ), as Sam & Max did.
    ... but you can still solve the game all right.

and the focus was on the second part :)
  • edited April 2009
    I'd still say the plot of SBCG4AP was dissapointly weak, if not non-existant. Perhaps they were going for a different "story structure" to avoid predictability or something of that sort, but in the end I didn't feel like I'd played through a "plot" so much as I'd just spent several quite separate days in the life of Strong Bad. And aside from, perhaps, five seconds of mention at the start and end of a game(not even all of them), they could be played in any order without messing with the "narrative".

The games were still good, and I honestly didn't expect an impressive plot from the Homestar Runner universe. But something like the DNA evidence pun running through the episodes would have been appreciated, with it actually amounting to something at the end.
  • edited May 2009
    Episode 2 out now
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2009
    Since this got bumped, I'll go ahead and throw in my 2 cents.
    As lead designer of SBCG4AP, and can safely say that an overarching plot was never our goal. We wanted to treat the series as if it were a sitcom, with new stories taking place each episode within the same general areas. As with every good sitcom, we made sure to reference things that happened in past episodes as well as plant tiny seeds for events we knew would happen in the future (Arrested Development does a GREAT job of doing that!)

So yeah, don't call it an overarching plat because it clearly wasn't and it was never meant to be. This is also why the previews we especially important for that series.

That is what we were talking about, right? Sorry, I get distracted easily.

...Oooh, shiny thing...
  • edited May 2009
    Mostly the end of SBCG4AP was hints about the next Episode, they weren't leading on to the final Episode such as Sam & Max, In Wallace & Gromit I noticed that it will have a story Arch much like Sam & Max, each Telltale game is unique and will have new openings each episode/series, Strong Bad is the example of a fun arcade game.
    Extended Play is what I mean
    , so this kind of explains it, no previews for W&G.
  • edited May 2009
    I'd also say it'd be easier to do recaps for SBCG4AP - all the clips have to take place in the same location or there'd be loading screens between them - so for example, in the preview for Dangeresque 3, all the events are in the field, even when they take place somewhere else in the actual game. SBCG4AP has fewer, larger locations (an entire house and its surroundings are one "room" for example) while Wallace and Gromit has loads and loads of seperate locations, but they're much smaller (Lounge, hallway, dining room, kitchen, Wallace's room, basement, front garden and back garden all seperate "rooms"). If something similar to the Sam and Max Season One credits was done (where all the locations are combined and compressed into one) it might work, but it wouldn't look as good (the shelves behind Bosco are just textured on!)
  • edited May 2009
    i noticed at the end of The Last Resort Monty Muzzle walking by putting a flyer on wallace and gromit's gate. this looked like some kind of preview. will something similar be done at the end of Muzzled!
  • edited May 2009
    i did notice that
    btw there aren't THAT many areas in W&G
    Theres definitely more areas in SBCG4AP so idk what you are talking about
  • edited May 2009
    W&G156 wrote: »
    i noticed at the end of The Last Resort Monty Muzzle walking by putting a flyer on wallace and gromit's gate. this looked like some kind of preview. will something similar be done at the end of Muzzled!

Well the preview was short, and it only had the front yard in it, only one area.
  • edited May 2009
    Possibly
  • edited May 2009
    It was the same yard from "The last resort"... The only "new" things in the "teaser" was that poster and the character who posted it (Monty Muzzle I assume).
  • edited May 2009
    to be honest, i dont think that there will be many more places added
    i mean, they barely added anything to this one
    A living room and that was it, seriously???
    How bout Mr. Panner's store, Ms. Flitts house, the jail, or even the garage
Sign in to comment in this discussion.