How do i get into the GOT universe

Hi, after Walking Dead i really want to get into another game by Telltale the Borderlands game isnt a game for me but GOT might be, i liked Skyrim and im wondering if its similar im not huge on mediveal things but then again i dont like zombies....

I was wondering if there was any cool things to get me into GOT.

Comments

• I guess you could read the books or watch the show. I need to get into it as well.

• ... Watch GoT.

• Well if you're old enough you could watch the show that the game is going to be based off of. Or read the books that the show is based off of. In a few ways it's similar to aspects of Skyrim, like all the different holds of Skyrim and their rulers, the Jarls of those holds are similar to the realms of Westeros and their lords. And similar to Skyrim people are going to be fighting to try and claim the role of king of those Holds/Realms. I'm getting a little to into this, so I'll stop comparing GoT and Skyrim now. As far as anything else that might get you into GoT, I don't know. I got into it buy binge watching 3 seasons my parents have on blu-ray.

• Well, you don't have to, but I'd really recommend reading the ASoIaF books, by George RR Martin. They're really good, and it'll help you a bit to understand what goes on in the show, since a few things that are in the show are explained better in the novels. There's 5 out as of right now: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance With Dragons, but George said that there'll be two more to finish the series with called The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. TWoW will be released sometime next year.

The HBO show is equally as great, but is quickly catching up with the books. There's a lot of nudity in the show too, so if you don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing you can always skip those parts. It's a much more fantasy-like twist on the medieval genre, with things such as dragons and sorcery and stuff like that, which is interesting to see. It's like Skyrim in some ways as there's dragons, though not a lot of magic as some people might think. It isn't on Netflix, so you can't watch it there, but here's a link if you want to start watching it for free: http://www.cucirca.eu/watch-game-of-thrones-series-online/#season1

^ if the link doesn't work let me know so I can give you a new one.

I'd suggest not looking at the wiki of both the ASoIaF books and the HBO show until you've finished watching the show up to date, because there are spoilers. I've heard that the game will be leaning more towards the HBO version, but I'm pretty sure George is working with TTG, so there won't be any new information involved that hasn't already been in the show. If you want the game to make more sense, I'd suggest watching the show first.

• I have no place to watch from the beginning

... Watch GoT.

• The book is so good. It is a must read before you die.

• Really, the books and the show are the only place to start. The games made in the universe so far have been flawed to say the least. If you're into comics you could pick up the graphic novel versions of Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword. And if not.. wait for Telltale's game to come out. I suspect it won't require you to be an existing fan of the franchise to get into it.

• edited August 2014

You could buy season 1-3 on DVD.

#TeamSarah posted: »

I have no place to watch from the beginning

• ArthurVArthurV Telltale Alumni

Read the books and watch the show! :-)

• Watch all the shows.

• Thank you all, i think ill start watching the show and give it a shot :) this game seems like it will be a big deal, its barely been advertised and already has a busier forum than Borderlands.

• if u have hbo you can download the hbogo. app on yoour favorite device and watch it all, the books and the show are of equal quality but the show is different in places

• I might get yelled at for this but I honestly prefer the show.

Rhaeygar posted: »

if u have hbo you can download the hbogo. app on yoour favorite device and watch it all, the books and the show are of equal quality but the show is different in places

• If you are at least a bit the reading type, I really recommend the books. And preferably before the show, because if you watch the show and then read the books, you'll already know the big plot points and you won't appreciate GRRM's storytelling to its full extent. He really is a very good writer, and if you only watch the show, you'll miss on several characters and developments that bring you a better understanding of the world and the story in general.

Plus I personally think that almost every difference in the show makes it not as good as the books. I still recommend the show for a lot of reasons - Peter Dinklage for one is amazing - but the books are just on another level.

#TeamSarah posted: »

Thank you all, i think ill start watching the show and give it a shot this game seems like it will be a big deal, its barely been advertised and already has a busier forum than Borderlands.

• I doubt you'll get yelled at. The show is amaz-balls after you get to season 2.

I might get yelled at for this but I honestly prefer the show.

• edited August 2014

My advice is to at least watch the first 9 episodes of game of thrones

Trust me by epiode 9 you will know if game of thrones is "your kind of show" lol

• I think best advice is wacth the show for the first season then read the books, it helps have a mindset of the main characters before you continue. Because I prefer the depth of the books

• The book series is friggin' long. It will take you awhile to finish it.

Nevertheless, the books are better than the TV show, if you have the tolerance for long reads. The characters and their motivations are better explained, and people in general act more intelligently than their show counterparts.

Lookin' at you, dumbass TV show Littlefinger.

• Well, I almost yelled at him, but I refrained because I didn't want to seem intolerant x)

And season 2 harbors in my opinion the worst change that the show made : the Daenerys storyline is so much better in the second book of ASoIaF than in the second season of the show. I mean, the show doesn't even have Strong Belwas...

Lee4ever posted: »

I doubt you'll get yelled at. The show is amaz-balls after you get to season 2.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.