The story so far...

edited April 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
So, W&G was the first TT game I've boughten, and since then I used the half-off coupon to get S&M season two which I'm playing now.

One thing that I really liked in W&G was the "story so far" screen that catches you up on what's happened. I didn't really use it that much in that game, and didn't miss it in the first episode of Sam and Max I played, but when I played Moai, I really wished it was there because I've been able to play it only in little chunks a few days apart.

So anyway, just wanted to say I really liked the feature and I hope you throw it into your future games. Anyone else find it useful too?

Comments

• NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    i didn't even know it existed in W&G....
  • edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's definitely nice to have that little recap available when resuming a game. It'd be nice if more games had that, since forgetting what I was doing is a big problem when playing adventure games over multiple sittings.
  • edited April 2009
    Previously on Lost...
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    Good! I'm glad you enjoyed that feature, and that you found it useful for remembering where you were. That's the main reason we put it in there.

I'm curious as to whether you noticed anything about the recaps that you thought could be better?
  • edited April 2009
    Possibly they could be more tailored to where exactly you are and what exactly you currently know.

E.g., after I completed the first section as Gromit I immediately saved, exited and then went off to do something else.
    Coming back a little bit later I got a message which read something to the effect of
    Wallace needs Strongium for his growth formula, but Nutter has nicked the last bad of strongium tea!

Now, this was a little weird because at that point I didn't know that I needed a growth formula, or even who Nutter was. (Although with a name like that it was obviously the squirrel, but the game never gives him that name.)

Also, you need three things, so why mention one specifically?
  • edited April 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Possibly they could be more tailored to where exactly you are and what exactly you currently know.

E.g., after I completed the first section as Gromit I immediately saved, exited and then went off to do something else.
    Coming back a little bit later I got a message which read something to the effect of
    Wallace needs Strongium for his growth formula, but Nutter has nicked the last bad of strongium tea!

Now, this was a little weird because at that point I didn't know that I needed a growth formula, or even who Nutter was. (Although with a name like that it was obviously the squirrel, but the game never gives him that name.)

Also, you need three things, so why mention one specifically?

I would say it's a bug to show the comment at that time.
    Nutter can steal the teabag from Gromit before you get up to controlling Wallace. Also, Gromit does see the growth formula when he is sorting the mail. From your post, I guess the error is that you don't need to know you want to make the formula to trigger the comment.

I don't see the name being an issue if Wallace and Gromit know what it is.
    You saw the teabag get stolen and so you know what the culprit looks like. If Wallace and Gromit can put a name to the face, and the game uses the name when you see the character again, then I have no issue with the comment system using then characters name before the game has used it.
  • edited April 2009
    Yes, that's what I said.
  • edited April 2009
    I honestly didn't use the feature at all, and it was just kind of "there". It didn't bother me though, and if it helped anybody out then I'd say it succeeded. I just have a stupidly insane memory for things like this. Developed by playing games like the Hitchiker's Guide text adventure, wherein you can screw up the VERY END of the game by not doing something at the VERY BEGINNING.
    edited April 2009
    @Chris1:
    Interesting. Sounds like the logic for that part is not set up quite right, because we know better than to reveal things like that before you should know them. Nostra culpa.
    edited April 2009
    ...Developed by playing games like the Hitchiker's Guide text adventure, wherein you can screw up the VERY END of the game by not doing something at the VERY BEGINNING.

Perhaps that was an artistic statement about the nature of real life...
    Rest assured, though, that we at Telltale would never do that to you. It's in the bylaws.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.