Do I have to watch the show to get this game?

Since The Walking Dead is over, I was considering gettin GoT. The only thing is I don't feel like watching the TV show. Could it be like in The Walking Dead? Y'know different characters same universe. Or something like The Wolf Among Us? A prequel to the original story.

Comments

• Well, it is better to read the books, if you don't want to do that (your loss, though, if you don't), you'll have to, at least, watch the show. It will give you an insight in the whole setting.

• The game is based on the show, though. And I find the books to be pretty boring over some chapters.

The show though...perfect imo. Better than the books, which I read up to where Season 4 starts, or a little further, but honestly couldn't bring myself to keep reading.

To OP (I'm pretty sure this message pops up in your feed anyway): Watch the show. I hesitated too at first, but boy is it awesome.

Lingvort posted: »

Well, it is better to read the books, if you don't want to do that (your loss, though, if you don't), you'll have to, at least, watch the show. It will give you an insight in the whole setting.

• I don't like some of the aspects of the show, namely the way some plotlines are oversimplified, or some characters removed/repurposed. Books don't suffer from this kind of thing.

I respect your opinion, but I personally disagree with it.

The game is based on the show, though. And I find the books to be pretty boring over some chapters. The show though...perfect imo. Better

• edited August 2014

I just don't like that the plot is sometimes really dragged on in the books. Lots of unnecessary exposition, I like the pace of the show.

I don't like some of the aspects of the show, namely the way some plotlines are oversimplified, or some characters removed/repurposed. Books don't suffer from this kind of thing. I respect your opinion, but I personally disagree with it.

• What you call "unnecessary exposition" is something the show visualizes. You don't get to read "the streets of the city were filled with vomit from the local drunkards and with filth and beggars covering every inch of the pavement". It is visualized, instead.

I just don't like that the plot is sometimes really dragged on in the books. Lots of unnecessary exposition, I like the pace of the show.

• That's true, but I think there are other scenes that are better examples. I can't name any, though.

What you call "unnecessary exposition" is something the show visualizes. You don't get to read "the streets of the city were filled with vom

• Watching the series or reading the books may help you to understand the setting bit better, but it probably isn't absolutely necessary. If I interpret the hints correctly the game is going to focus to new characters rather than those who are in the major role in the books and the TV-series.

• Oof, that's good then.

I'm really hyped for this!

Watching the series or reading the books may help you to understand the setting bit better, but it probably isn't absolutely necessary. If I

• edited August 2014

The game is technically based on the show I believe, but a different part of the universe kind of like how the wolf among us and the walking dead are. So I don't think you would need to watch the show or read the books to get the game. Though personally I would recommend watching the show or reading the books. Personally i like the show better. I tried getting into the books and I just couldn't

• I learned to skip a page or so when he starts describing food.

That's true, but I think there are other scenes that are better examples. I can't name any, though.

• i did that on my first read through, now im reading every word on my second as i anxiously await winds of winter

I learned to skip a page or so when he starts describing food.

• Naturally I have no real evidence, but the fact that they have made name Forrester so huge, in that quote on the left, would indicate that it has some importance in the game. In the books it's small northern noble house of little significance (it's mentioned once).

Crips posted: »

Oof, that's good then. I'm really hyped for this!

• edited August 2014

I think TTG will do a good job introducing newcomers to the franchise. It might be even more engaging since your the one making the tough choices. If you have the power it will pull you into the story more.

• If the teaser image is hinting at where and when the story will take place, you will have to read the books to fully understand it

• I don't know if i'm going to get the game but i'm watching the show anyway it's awesome, and i wanna buy the books too.

• I agree, but TWAU is a prequel and doesn't play in the same time line of Fables.

The game is technically based on the show I believe, but a different part of the universe kind of like how the wolf among us and the walking

• probably so. The Game takes place in the TV universe

• The books give you all the juice but do take time but if you want a quick summary the show's your best bet. Although the show isn't quite up to date with the books or even the game. Since it's speculated to take place during the Winds of Winter. And that book hasn't even been released yet.

• I doubt it. We didn't for TWAU and TWD after all.

• I totally have to do this. In fact, I do it with all the Telltalle Games. I played Escape from Monkey Island after playing Tales of MI and it was a good game. Then I read the walking dead comic book (and it was one amazing experience) shortly after playing the game. The same with The Wolf Among Us/Fables. It was good fun but I haven't finished this yet.

There are 5 books of that series already so I will read one after playing one episode. GAME-BOOK-GAME etc. I live in Poland and there are these book in my library but maybe I will buy an English version because I will play the game in English (don't want to wait for fan translation).

• I´ve also been wondering this. I want to get the game, but I don´t really want to watch the show/read the books.

Then again, you can understand TWAU/TWD without reading the comics, so I doubt we´d have to know anything.

• I suspect so, yeah. There may be referrences to things that happen in the books/show, but I imagine they'll provide sufficient exposition where needed. All we'll likely need to know are the circumstances and immediate world of our protagonist.

ABigBadWolf posted: »

I´ve also been wondering this. I want to get the game, but I don´t really want to watch the show/read the books. Then again, you can understand TWAU/TWD without reading the comics, so I doubt we´d have to know anything.

• Yeah, as long as we can understand the general plot, I can roll with it.

I suspect so, yeah. There may be referrences to things that happen in the books/show, but I imagine they'll provide sufficient exposition where needed. All we'll likely need to know are the circumstances and immediate world of our protagonist.

• I hope not. Don't get me wrong, I really want to watch the show but I just don't have the time. And I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyy want to get this game. I'm just waiting for more info from Telltale.

• Telltale doesn't develop "read the book, play the game" kinds of games although reading a book or watching the show will help you understand the game better.

• Don't think it will be mandatory, since TWD and TWAU didn't need it (either premise is self explanatory as TWD or it provides little explanations at the beginning like TWAU). But knowing (by having watched the show) would give more insight/depth (when playing) than not knowing I guess.

• edited November 2014

I think it'll be like TWAU, with little things that you would only get by knowing the lore ("I'm sorry I didn't cheat on you, and run away to Europe!"). But that'll be it, and we won't have had to have read or watched the books or show to understand and enjoy the game.

• Telltale typically designs their games to be friendly to newcomers of the source material. I was new to both Walking Dead and Fables (for Wolf Among Us), but I still managed to be immersed in the stories. I'm new to Game of Thrones, but I still expect that story will be friendly to newcomers such as myself as well - just like previous Telltale games.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.