Ron Gilbert

edited December 2005 in Sam & Max
You guys at telltale games should think about hiring 'ole Ron Gilbert. Having him on the staff could do nothing but good things for TellTale games.

He was the one that pretty much invented the graphic adventure game after all. :P

you can find him at www.grumpygamer.com.

:D

Comments

• edited December 2005
    I wanna see Mike Stemmle join the telltale fold first :D
  • edited December 2005
    If you can get Ron Gilbert, that would be too freakin' awesome. The I'd actually go and make songs about Telltale and sing them around town until people payed me not to.
  • edited December 2005
    If you can get Ron Gilbert, that would be too freakin' awesome. The I'd actually go and make songs about Telltale and sing them around town until people payed me not to.

I'm pretty sure Ron is working on his own stuff right now. At least thats what his blog would lead you to believe.
  • edited December 2005
    Ron is his own independent developer.
  • edited December 2005
    I thought his project tanked. I think I remember an interview with him saying he'd never do anything with monkey island again because the story was twisted too much from the original. Asking for ron would be like saying it would be good if tim shafer joined up. Hey wait a sec.... Tim is busy with his own stuff too. Psychonaughts didn't sell as well as had hoped but I really have no idea what his next project is.
  • edited December 2005
    It had better be Psychonauts 2 that Tim is working on... I wanna see that with awesome graphics to complement the awesome art style and smoother controls (dual analog sticks powers mapped to shoulder buttons should mean that you can run and aim TK simultaneously, for instance).
  • edited December 2005
    alas it is one of the games I have yet to play. Heck there are games on the snes, psx and n64 that I haven't gotten around to playing yet. Sigh.. trying to play all the interesting games out there is like trying to read all the interesting books in the world. I really hope that tim does an adventure game. Psychonaughts looked like fun but adventure games could use the help.
  • edited December 2005
    It had better be Psychonauts 2 that Tim is working on... I wanna see that with awesome graphics to complement the awesome art style and smoother controls (dual analog sticks powers mapped to shoulder buttons should mean that you can run and aim TK simultaneously, for instance).

I'm certain there'll be a Psychonauts 2. Having finished Psychonauts on PC I was quite pleased to find that it was just like one of his ol' Advenutre games only you could punch and shoot and set stuff on fire and whatnot. With an ending like it had though, it's bound to get itself a sequel. Also, Raz wan't wearing his goggles in the final clip. His hair looks kind of awful. Worse than mine even.

And there'd best be a sequel because I want to see more of Ford. He was the best character in the whole game. Mmm... Bacon.
  • edited December 2005
    Without de-railing this thread too much more there is an interesting article over on gamespot about innovations in games. It talks a fair amount about psychonaughts and publishers. Figured some of the people on the board might be interested.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141519.html
  • edited December 2005
    I'm certain there'll be a Psychonauts 2.

I'm certain you're wrong.
  • edited December 2005
    I agree. As much as I love Psychonauts, I really don't think it needs a sequel. It had a satisfactory ending. It was a stand-alone game, just like Grim Fandango (another game that I loved, but don't feel needs a sequel). I would much rather see Tim Schafer create new worlds every time for us to play in. And that's something he is very very good at, and it would be almost criminal if he wasted it by falling back on an old idea. Now, if he could do a sequel in about a year, that would be a different story, but since we only seem to get a game from him every five years or so, well, I'd rather be treated to something completely new each time.
  • edited December 2005
    Actually, I think Psychonauts has lots of potential for a sequel. The reason it's not going to happen is that it sold poorly, and publishers don't fund sequels to flops. It's really pretty simple. Whether or not Tim wants to make it doesn't even matter (though what he's working on right now is certainly not Psychonauts 2).

Anyway, the article is very good and it's relevant to Telltale because it touches upon online distribution, which is increasingly becoming more obvious as the future for small, original titles from independent developers. The fact that Tim wants to explore it someday, not to mention other proponents of it like Ron Gilbert (woo! the thread is about him!) gets me excited too. Right now Telltale is focused on PC titles, but the new consoles will also offer other developers the opportunity to give online content to people right in their living room. If independent developers take advantage of that: :D [=D>]
    I thought his project tanked.

It has to get funded and published before that can happen. ;)
  • edited December 2005
    Psychonauts had a good ending, but come on! It was totally setting itself up for a sequel. Whether or not it has a sequel is another matter entirely.
  • edited December 2005
    Psychonauts had a satisfactory ending? What? Did you play the same game as me?

I agree that games like Grim Fandango are perfect by themselves and any attempt to continue 'em would be stupid but Pyschonauts is completely different to Grim Fandango. Did you even watch the ending all the way through? It set up the entire beginning for a sequel. I believe it's selling fairly well so I can't see any reason for there to not be a sequel.
  • edited December 2005
    Psychonauts had a satisfactory ending? What? Did you play the same game as me?
    Yes! Yes I did! :) Just because it sets up the possibility of a sequel by instilling a call to action for Raz and his fellow Psychonauts doesn't mean it didn't tie up all the loose ends satisfactorily. EVERY loose end!!!! Now go and imagine your OWN Psychonauts adventures in your head like Tim Schafer wants you to (because he won't do them for you). He's so nice, though, he sets the scene for you in case your imagination is lousy. But keep your adventures to yourself, which means no fan games or fan fiction, or he will sue you so fast, blood will shoot out your toenails! Muahahahahha4hahahaaa!!1!one!!Li!!
  • edited December 2005
    I believe it's selling fairly well so I can't see any reason for there to not be a sequel.

It isn't. Read the article alucard posted, it even has sales figures in it.
  • edited December 2005
    I believe it's selling fairly well so I can't see any reason for there to not be a sequel.

It isn't. Read the article alucard posted, it even has sales figures in it.

And just to clarify, they are not good. :)
  • edited December 2005
    Ah. I just assumed it was selling okay because all my local stores have sold all their copies. Shame.

The ending though is a very sequel ending. If it was a 'imagine your own adventures!' style ending it wouldn't have been that certain person who was kidnapped or whatever happened. I've kind of forgotten. It'd be some random like the King of the Moon.
  • edited December 2005
    It'd be some random like the King of the Moon.
    Don't be silly! The King of the Moon, whoever he is, would never allow himself to be kidnapped!

:D
  • edited December 2005
    But that would be the special plot twist you see, The King of the Moon staged the kidnapping in order to bring the psychonauts to his lair and capture them. Because he is actually an evil King of the Moon!

:D right back at you.
  • edited December 2005
    they still havent released psychonauts in Australia.. and they make it impossible for us to play overseas games on our PS2.. nice :((
  • edited December 2005
    well not impossible :p
    just not legally possible. that is the nice thing about nintendo having zone free games for the ds. I think psp has region free games now too...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.