What do you listen to?

edited November 2006 in General Chat
Music that is. What are your favourite bands/artists?

Some of my favourites are

undeoath
mewithoutyou
Haste The Day
Project 86
Demon Hunter
He Is Legend
Showbread
The Chariot
Norma Jean

Some more mainstream ones are

Billy Talent
Powerman 5000
MxPx
alexisonfire
Matisyahu

etc!!!
http://www.last.fm/user/xchri5x/

Comments

• edited June 2006
    The Birthday Party
    These Immortal Souls
    Roland S Howard (the top three sort of overlap...)
    The Stooges
    Jim Thirlwell
    Richard Hell & The Voidoids
    The Beasts of Bourbon
    The Shangri-las
    Bernard Herrmann

are the main ones lately (i.e. the past week or so.) Music with equal measures of sleaze, violence and absurdity is what most interests me. (Note: not everything on my list fits that description)
  • edited June 2006
    fav group is souls of mischief/hieroglyphics.. but heres some more:

jazzy jeff fresh prince, aceyalone, abstract rude, pm dawn, prince, hieroglyhics, vikter duplaix, newcleus, al t mclaran, whodini, anita baker, blackalicious, bootsy collins, brand new heavies, brand nubian, colossus, crown city rockers, de la soul, dead prez, del, demien, diamond d, dj kool, goapele, haiku detat, harry connick jr, jill scott, jungle brothers, k-os, kel spencer, kem, kenny lattimore, king britt, lyrics born, masta ace, mc 900ft jesus, michael franti &; spearhead, murs, living legends, ozomatli, pete rock n cl smooth, simply red, pharcyde, beck, pixies, public enemy, queen latifah, the roots, they might be giants, visionairies, will smith, zhane, casual, pep love, rich medina, strange fruit project, a tribe called quest, ahmad, abstract tribe unique, al green amel larrieux, amp fiddler, arrested development, beastie boys, ben lee, big audio dynamite, black sheep, black star, camp lo, das efx, dilated peoples, dj format, donald byrd, dwele, encore, fatlip, freestyle fellowship, hall &; oates, j dilla, pj harvey &; john parish, jurassic 5, kid n play, kool &; the gang, latyrx, lifesavas, ll cool j, massive attack, mc lyte, michael mcdonald, monie love, mos def, musiq, new sector movements, OC, oingo boingo, people under the stairs, pigeon john, poor righteous teachers, portishead, rancid, shawn colvin
  • edited June 2006
    I listen to a lot of different stuff. Some of the bands/artists I like are -

Rammstein, fav album : Mutter
    HIM, fav album : Razorblade Romance
    Nirvana, fav albums : Nevermind and In Utero
    Michael Jackson, fav album : Dangerous
    Seigmen, fav album : Total
  • edited June 2006
    Errm...

Eels
    Divine Comedy
    Jimi Hendrix
    David Bowie
    Tom Waite’s
    The Wonder Stuff
    John Lennon
    XTC
    Nick Drake
    Polyphonic Spree
    Bob Marley

& some more... Happy Mondays, Carter the unstoppable sex machine, The Shins, Beck, Pink Floyd, etc... that kinda thing
  • edited June 2006
    -well known show music... -> who doesn't? (too many authors)
    -POLKA!! -> that's our national style... :D :D (Avseniki, Slaki)
    -instrumental -> modern instrumental music.... yeah... i play in an orchestra :D:D we mostly play modern music, orchestral remakes of known songs and modern interpretations of classical music... (ernest mosch, ohio state university marching band, etc.)
    -my dad in the shower-> he moved to Kazahstan a year and a half ago so that's impossible right now... :):):) (My dad)
  • edited July 2006
    I LOVE rock music and bands as System of a down
    see ya guys
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    I have a tendency to enjoy movie soundtracks. I just recieved the soundtrack to "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" for my birthday and it is fabulous!
  • edited July 2006
    I like film soundtracks, too, although mostly for action/adventure movies with orchestral scores. John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc.

I also discovered I really like jazz, like the music in Cowboy Bebop. I don't like all jazz, though. A lot of it just confuses me and sounds like noise.
  • edited July 2006
    I have a tendency to enjoy movie soundtracks. I just recieved the soundtrack to "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" for my birthday and it is fabulous!
    Good to see there's at least one other person with at least one Stooges song here, even if it's originally off their weakest album. The Portuguese Bowie covers are cool too, even if Bowie is a bit of a wanker. I'm loathe to to admit this, but it was through movie soundtracks that I first became seriously interested in popular music.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    I don't like all jazz, though. A lot of it just confuses me and sounds like noise.

That's how I feel about rap music, actually. ;)
  • edited July 2006
    Strange, my problem with a lot of rap is that it sounds too orderly. It's not very heavy on feedback and general sort of dissonance at least.
  • edited July 2006
    I listen to the black mages, it´s a final fantasy cover band, they convert the final fantasy music to some symphony-rock - style.
  • edited July 2006
    i just realized hierohero is my hero.
  • edited September 2006
    Music: my biggest passion. I mostly hear Rock in some of it's varied forms. My favourite bands would be:

Tool
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    King Crimson
    Radiohead
    The Beatles
    Soundgarden
    Jimi Hendrix
    Smashing Pumpkins
  • edited September 2006
    Mainly metal.

Favourite band: Pantera.

A few others:
    Slayer
    (old) Metallica
    Megadeth
    Cancer
    Death
    Down

Something more traditional:
    Black Sabbath
    AC/DC
    Iron Maiden
  • edited September 2006
    Me? I guess I don't really have a favourite type of music. Although I find rap music to be quite dull. Some of the bands/musicians I've listened to lately:

- Poets of the Fall <-- (Not as emo as it sounds if you don't know who they are!)
    - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    - America
    - Eric Clapton
    - The Rolling Stones
    - The Who
    - Origa
    - Sonny Rhodes
    - The Black Mages <-- (Woo! You and me both Obinoobie!)
    - The Music from Beyond Good and Evil <-- (Game Soundtracks are often oddly catchy)

Okay, so it appears the music I listen to is either much older than I am or unlikely to be played on any of my local radio stations :)
  • edited September 2006
    Sun Ra
    Beck
    Dabrye
    The Strokes
    The Go! Team
    Four Tet
    Prefuse 73
    Roots Manuva
    Kool Keith
    OutKast
    Spank Rock

Absolutely. The soundtrack to Amelie is fantastic as well.
  • edited September 2006
    I'm a man of many preferences when it comes to music, currently the music frequenting on my playlist is:

Air
    Compilation of songs called 'The Blues Album'
    Paris
    various Mexican, or Incan music
    The always magnificent Ennio Morricone
    Chris Rea
    Sting

I, too, listen to a lot of movie soundtracks - here are a couple of my current (non-Morricone) favorites:

Crash
    Unbreakablen
    Kill Bill (vol. 1 over vol 2)

EDIT:
    Oh, and there's a great radio station ( Radio Helsinki ) which I listen to a lot - there's tons of great unknown artists I've picked up thanks to it.
  • edited September 2006
    It never ceases to amaze me how separated my tastes are from my peers. I haven't really had an opportunity to get into music much, mostly because all my free money goes to gaming, but I really dig what little I can get my hands on. Though I only get what I can hear on the radio (and on one or two occasions, artists that my parents like), the artists I really dig are (in no particular order):

Sarah McLachlan
    Norah Jones
    Kris Kristofferson
    John Mayer
    Clay Aiken
    The Barenaked Ladies

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Dunno why I seem to be wired so differently. :-/
  • edited October 2006
    My favourite band is, was and will always be Faith No More.
  • edited November 2006
    Mostly jazz and film music. I love the freedom of expression in jazz. Film music is pretty weird stuff when you take it out of it´s context and listen to it as abstract music.

Jazz:
    Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Django Reinhart, Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck and the list goes on and on and on..

Film Music:
    Angelo Badalamenti, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Vangelis (Blade Runner OST only), Bernard Herrman, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, Carl Stalling
  • edited November 2006
    Lately I have been a fan of Robert Randolph and the Family Band.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Dragon Force!!!
  • edited November 2006
    I listen to these guys (channeling David Brent and Bono is quite the feat). You need to wait past the introductions. It's worth it.

http://www.spareroom.co.nz/2006/11/08/one-bank/
  • edited November 2006
    All over the map... but mostly,

Jazz (John Zorn, Zappa, Charlie Hunter, The Ratpack, Goetz Alsmann, Cracow Klezmer Band etc.)

Soundtracks (Morricone, Schifrin, Goldsmith, Komeda, Yann Tiersen etc.)

Classical Music (Mozart, J. B. Lully, Bach, Frescobaldi, Grieg, Brahms etc.)

Pop and Rock (David Sylvian, Faith No more, Estradasphere, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Costello, Les Claypool etc. )

Electronic (Ryuichi Sakamoto, Messer fuer Frau Mueller, Felix Kubin, Aavikko, quantic Soul Orchestra, Air, Hector Zazou etc.)

and the music, wich somebody may know from the movie "Black Cat, White Cat" also.. all that brass music from ex-Jugoslavia
  • edited November 2006
    I like the 'Red Hot Chili Peppers'. I think their new album is great!
  • edited November 2006
    Hm, at the moment I'm loving all sorts of music.
    Lately I've been spinning these albums on my iTunes:

!!! (Chk Chk Chk) - Louden Up Now
    Psychadelic/punk/jazz/just weird shit - amazing :)

John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    I've only really just got into jazz. I'm hooked though - I would love to hear any recommendations of more good jazz albums/artists?

Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
    Extremely talented gypsy/folk music. Sounds wonderful.

And for drinking/partying - Black Flag go down a treat!!!
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    I just bought (gleefully I may add), Sarah McLachlan's new Christmas album - Wintersong. It has a cover of River (my favorite Joni Mitchell song) and a cover of Song For A Winter's Night (a terrific song by Gordon Lightfoot) and other Christmas songs*. I can think of no one better to cover River than Sarah. I know it's a bit early to be listening to Christmas music but I had to pop the CD in. :)

*Track list:

Happy X'mas (War is Over)
    What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
    River
    Wintersong
    I'll Be Home For Christmas
    O Little Town of Bethlehem
    The First Noel/Mary Mary
    Silent Night
    Song For A Winter's Night
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    In The Bleak Mid-Winter
    Christmas Time Is Here (featuring Diana Krall)
    Kevin wrote: »
    Dragon Force!!!

May I ask what this is?

Confusedly yours... :p
  • edited November 2006
    Dragon Force are a completely mental and murderously fast power metal band!

http://www.dragonforce.com
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    Thanks. :)
  • edited November 2006
    thom_h wrote: »
    I've only really just got into jazz. I'm hooked though - I would love to hear any recommendations of more good jazz albums/artists?

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

I started with these and they are both great.
  • edited November 2006

Some recommandations of some different styles:

1. a bit between Easy Listening/loung/Exotica and Jazz would be:

Jun Miyake - Glam Exotica
    Burt Bacharach - ALL ALBUMS !
    Roberto Delgado
    Joey Altruda - Cocktails with Joey
    John Zorn - "The gift" - it´s between jewish music, exotica, surf and jazz

2. guitar Jazz:
    Wes Montgomery
    Charlie hunter

3. Jazz with strong jewish background:
    John Zorn (masada albums - I think there about 12 or 13 (don´t know anymore / Warning: Some of that albums are some kind of chaotic free-jazz)

Bar Kokhba Sextett (listen to the Album "Zevulun") it´s just great..
    Frank London - Brotherhood of brass
    David Krakauer's klezmer madness
    Tim Sparks - at the rebbe's table

4. Jazz/Funk:
    Billy Cobham
    Dave Weckl

5. Free Jazz:
    Albert Ayler
    John Zorn

5. Be-Bop
    Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth & Verve Jazz Master 48

6. Electronic Jazz:
    Gerardo Frisna
    Nicola Conte

And last but not least.. i don´t know how to put this..
    maybe "general Jazz"

its "Raymond Scott" - I just love his music - it´s very humorous.
    He did some scores for cartoons and he also was a pioneer in electronic music. (he started in the 30´s)

Hope, you find something you like,
    Marc aka PinkPanther
  • edited November 2006
    Thankyou PinkPanther!
    I'm going to have a right mission listening to all that :)
  • edited November 2006
    Lately Ive listened to The Abyssinians, Ali Hassan Kuban and Sainkho Namchylak a lot. Before that Gillian Welch, Neil Young, Exuma, Ali Farka Toure..

I recommend you listen to any of those artists but Ali Hassan Kubans "From Nubia to Kairo"
    242.gif
    is really a pearl. The same goes for the first record The Abyssinians
    aby_satta_massagana-2.jpg
    and Exuma
    exuma.jpg
    released as well.
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    Today, I've been listening to my Eddie From Ohio CDs. I hadn't listened to them in quite a while and I fell in love with them all over. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Not that I suspect anyone cares, but the music from SiN Episodes: Emergence is really good. Possibly better than the rest of the game. You can check out some clips from it here.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.