No Mac Support? And LeChuck Sounds Funny..

Much like others, I've dreamed of the day that Monkey Island would return. But today is bittersweet for me since I've long switched from PC to Mac, and any old PC machines are nowhere near capable of running ToMI. I would have pre-ordered instantly if it weren't for that tiny little detail.

And I suppose the voice actor for LeChuck didn't come back, since he sounds a bit.. off. Bummer.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I have windows (urgs) besides mac os x on my mac only for games. Since the game is fullscreen, the bad feeling about windows goes away. ;) (until you receive a annoying popup)
  • edited June 2009
    Same here, I would love a Mac version. I think that there are quite many who played MI back in the 90ies on a PC but use a Mac these days.
  • edited June 2009
    stop whining and install bootcamp.
  • edited June 2009
    mish wrote: »
    stop whining and install bootcamp.

No one buys a mac to run windows....
  • edited June 2009
    natlinxz wrote: »

No one buys Mac expecting it having any other native games than Blizzard releases ? :)

I presume this will run using emulators too, I think they are called wine/cider (grog?). Unless copy-protection or such prevents it.
  • edited June 2009
    I'm happy to have Windows for my home PC. It has pretty much global support for games, and I'll put up with its quirks and the lack of a decent terminal-program for that.

I'd hate to use a Windows OS for anything work-related though *shudders*
  • edited June 2009
    In case it helps anyone... virtual machines are easier than Boot Camp, because you don't need to reboot.

Vmware Fusion runs Sam'n'Max, Strongbad and Wallace&Gromit in XP on any Mac with better than the GMA950 graphics - ie the old Mini and older MacBooks aren't much good for it (two frames per second in SnM!) but anything else should be. I'm playing them on a 2009 Mini with the 9400 graphics, no problem at all.

They don't seem to be happy in WINE (or Crossover).
  • edited June 2009
    Kraken wrote: »
    No one buys Mac expecting it having any other native games than Blizzard releases ? :)

ea.jpg

ubisoft.gif
  • edited June 2009
    count me in, i would LOVE a native Mac OS X version of it!!
  • edited June 2009
    ea.jpg

ubisoft.gif

Arent those running on emulators, not native? I recall EA using Cider, Wine or such...
  • edited June 2009
    Arent those running on emulators, not native? I recall EA using Cider, Wine or such...

Well, it doesn't matter as long as it works. And BTW, cider and Crossover are built on WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) which is a win32 API implementation on Macs and Linux, so if the application/game works it pretty much run close to native speed on Mac and Linux.

I would LOVE a Mac and Linux native version, and it is not hard to support all, but is you have build a developer environment/tools that only support win32-64-.net/directx it is hard.

And no, bootcamp is not a option, I like having one operating system (the one I currently love/use, and that changes :-D).

So even if we received cider ports of the games here we would buy them as crazy :-)

Just my 2c
  • edited June 2009
    tobiaspb wrote: »
    Well, it doesn't matter as long as it works. And BTW, cider and Crossover are built on WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) which is a win32 API implementation on Macs and Linux, so if the application/game works it pretty much run close to native speed on Mac and Linux.

Applications may run close to native speeds, but games do not. Even native ports of games run slower on the Mac, since Apple and OpenGL doesn't support all of the custom tricks that Microsoft enables Nvidia and ATI to pull off via their DirectX compatible drivers.

Having said that, I try buy natively ported games on Mac, to support that effort.

I do not buy Cider games and if Monkey Island appear on Mac using Cider, I will not buy it either, as it doesn't contribute to pushing Apple towards improving the Mac platform for games.

Blizzard, with World of Warcraft, have already made Apple release two updates to OpenGL in order to make it run better, and all other games on Mac can benefit from that as well.

Hopefully, with the sucess of the iPhone, Apple will realize that supporting games is a good idea.
  • edited June 2009
    Cider or Transgaming or whatever is fine, as long as the game runs decently. Most of those ports work fine. Native is best of course.

Boot camp is not an option. Rebooting to play a game means losing all your work state in between (open browsers, editors, etc). I'll give VMWare Fusion with Sam 'n Max a go though, thanks for the tip! :)
  • edited June 2009
    I presume this will run using emulators too, I think they are called wine/cider (grog?). Unless copy-protection or such prevents it.

I tried the Strong Bad games under Parallels Desktop (a complete Windows installation running inside an application), and essential parts of it didn't work. Graphics don't always translate well (or at all) in emulators.
  • edited June 2009
    Here is another vote for a Mac version. I'm a big fan of the classic LucasArts adventure games and look forward to the new Monkey Island. But, much like the new Sam and Max, I'll probably pass this one up and continue to support the companies willing to take a risk and release products for the platform seeing continued growth in the consumer market.
    Telltale has *a lot* of Mac users in the company, and we are very interested in porting Sam & Max to the Mac, but it's not something we've made a firm decision on yet. We're pretty busy getting the games out for the PC right now.
    (quoted from this January 2007 discussion here.)

It's a shame that "a lot" of the Telltale employees won't stand up and make their game for their preferred platform.
  • edited June 2009
    I played a lot of the original Lucasarts adventure games on a LC II and a Performa 6300. I'd love to play ToMI on my MacBookPro without having to deal with a VM.

I just pre-ordered the PC version, but I'd pay another $10 in a heartbeat if it would mean a Mac OS X native version.
  • edited June 2009
    It'd be nice if someone from Telltale who uses a Mac would chime in and say whether they think any of these solutions would be viable.

I'm sure it'd help garner sales. *ahem* Telltale *ahem*

No one else is as bummed as I am about LeChuck's voice?
  • edited June 2009
    Guess not. I'm not.
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale people, please consider to port ToMI to Mac. I'm sure it will worth the effort... There are a lot of new Mac users everyday and, sincerelly, we usually get a Mac because we don't want to deal with Windows again.

By the way... Thanks for bring Monkey Island to our lives one more time.
  • edited June 2009
    kawaiid wrote: »
    No one else is as bummed as I am about LeChuck's voice?

It did sound a little off to me, but it's really too early to tell, he had like one line in the trailer. Wallace's voice sounded off to me in the trailer but fine in the game, so I'm not too worried.

I will be a little bummed if it's not Earl Boen, just because of how much I love knowing that it's Dr. Silberman voicing the undead pirate.
  • edited June 2009
    Didn't Jeff Vogel at Spiderweb say that 50% of his sales come from mac users? It's a largely ignored market that Telltale may benefit much from exploring.
    I have no idea how dependent Telltale's game engine is on Windows-specific libraries, but it couldn't possibly be that much, if it manages to run on Wii...
  • edited June 2009
    Me Too. I didn't buy Wallace and Gromit just because I'm sick of rebooting into Windows just to play Telltale games. I don't care if they use Cider or not, it'd be great to be able to run on OS X...

Macs are up to 10% user population, and I suspect a higher % of the folks that would be interested in a Monkey Island game...
  • edited June 2009
    I use a Mac. I download the games on my Mac, and transfer it to my bootcamp side with a jumpdrive. When I have to activate it, I turn on the wireless just long enough to activate, then turn off the wireless.

I have played through both Sam and Max seasons, and Wallace and Grommit. I have had no slowdown or problems. As long as you don't start using the Windows side for other things, I manage. And for S&M and MI, it's worth it.

That said, if you DO port to Mac, would we have to buy the games again if we want to play it on the Mac side, or would our PC purchase count?
  • edited June 2009
    Ripcord wrote: »
    Macs are up to 10% user population, and I suspect a higher % of the folks that would be interested in a Monkey Island game...

The 10% number I have seen lately is from web browsing statistics. It's hard to say how many of those people in the 10% are also using a PC at work and boosting PC numbers. In general, the market for Mac games is going to be even higher then the percentages of machines sold or machines seen web browsing due to all the boxes sitting on peoples work desks.

EA just shipped another Mac game, Sims 3. One disc, one box, multi platform, and instant placement in the Apple stores next to the machines people are buying to switch over. I'm betting it would take an engineer or two a month tops to bring Monkey Island over to the Mac. Then have QA buy a Mac that can also be used for windows testing. Sign up for Apple Developer Connection and they can handle compatibility testing across all the machines. Then just release the game on the same disc as the PC version, keeping the manufacturing costs down.
  • TimTim
    edited June 2009
    Unfortunately how grand it might sound that EA 'supports' Mac, they are basically offering you the exact same codebase written for Windows, wrapped in an emulator, as discussed earlier. This will work rather well for late models, but for example will not work properly for my late 2006 model Macbook, which will run Spore FINE natively under Windows, yet the emulator does not support my graphics chipset & thus we're screwed (The emulator might have updated recently, have not looked into that for a while). I would not call it an elegant solution by EA and this will not bridge the gap.

Other then that, for those of you not wanting to reboot, but also want native supa-dupa power every once and a while, do it both. Set up a bootcamp partition, then use VMWare Fusion which is capable of using that exact same bootcamp partition. Waking up at 6 am in the morning & launching your Mac? Launch it in Windows mode for a game. Already working & up and running? Launch it in VMWare Fusion. Saves my day at least ^.^

Edit: Thing I forgot to mention: Chances of virtualization software such as VMWare Fusion actually being able to run this game when it hits the shelves are slim. Tuned down & glitchy perhaps. Until the system requirements are known, ensure that you check whether the specs will do for the virtualization software you had in mind, if any.

And as for solving the problem completely, Blizzard-style ftw. I still remember the first moments when I was running about in the lush forests of World of Warcraft, basically staring my eyeballs out. Native-goodness.

Mac-version: +1
  • edited June 2009
    ...at least make sure that it runs comfortably on wine/cider on the mac (!)
    That way we won't have too boot into the dreaded "potted plant environment".. :)
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    It did sound a little off to me, but it's really too early to tell, he had like one line in the trailer. Wallace's voice sounded off to me in the trailer but fine in the game, so I'm not too worried.

I will be a little bummed if it's not Earl Boen, just because of how much I love knowing that it's Dr. Silberman voicing the undead pirate.

I pointed this out in another thread, but Earl Boen is doing the Secret of Monkey Island remake, as seen (heard) here, so it seems kind of weird that he'd refuse to do the sequel. However, as far as I know, only Guybrush and Elaine's voice actors/actresses have been mentioned by Telltale.

Strike that, Emily from TellTale [post=129438]confirmed[/post] in another thread that Earl Boen is not in Tales.
  • edited June 2009
    Cider/Wine isn't an emulator, it's Win32 implementation for Mac (Linux/etc). But that's details.

I don't care, either. The Sims 3, for example, runs magnificently on my machine. Even if TMI ran with half the frame rate I'm getting from that game, I'd be very happy.

To be fair, EA does actually modify the game somewhat specifically for Macs - for example, once in the Sims 3 it knows to remind you to use, say, Command keys. And they do at least SOME Mac-specific optimizations to have the game run well, within a Cider framework, even if they're modifying a code base that typically runs on Windows.
  • edited June 2009
    Kawaiid: I'm bummed too. Boen's the LeChuck. The replacement just sounds like someone doing a Scary Monster voice.
  • edited June 2009
    You can buy a Mac to put Windows on it if it's Windows 7, the first truly nifty Windows since... errr... never. Microsoft got it right for once, yaaay! I imagine a lot of the negative Windows stigma will go away once people start using what I'm currently using (I'm a mighty pi--I mean, beta tester!).

Anyway, it might not be financially feasible to support other platforms, since ports cost money and it's not that feasible for them to hand out their source either. And this is coming from a fan of open-source efforts. The thing is, if they do a Mac port, then the Linux people deserve a port too, and if they show they can do one port but they don't port to other OSes, then that would likely make them enemies that they didn't previously have.

Anyway, Win 7 is really quite the lovely OS, and one that could sit proudly on any Mac (via Bootcamp). And for those that have Linux, there's always VMware, so it's not like it's impossible to run the game on other formats. It would be nice if Telltale could look into the WINE situation though, because if it would run on WINE then that would solve the problem on both fronts, anyone who complains when a game actually runs perfectly on WINE is complaining for the sake of complaining.

And FWIW (TTG guys, if it's not okay saying this, just edit my post), it seems to be the DRM that causes the WINE problems in the first place. Once cracked, the Sam & Max series worked fine on WINE (perfectly, in fact), I got this update from a friend a while back. If they weren't cracked, they'd fail at the DRM. If Sam & Max series 1 works, I imagine all TTG games would once cracked, since the engine hasn't changed much.

I might be walking a grey line by saying that, but I am not advocating piracy (I hate seeing people pirate from small companies, it irritates me), what I am advocating is using a crack to get around the DRM to allow the game to run in WINE, which might work. Perhaps someone who has a legal copy of Wallace & Gromit could install it on a Linux machine and test this...
  • edited June 2009
    Me too, I would immediately preorder if there where a MAC Version!
    I played the first 3 games of the MI-Series on PC, but then, back in 2000, I switched form PC to MAC and was happy to buy and play the MAC-Version of Monkey 4 that time! Some years ago, I also replayed the first 3 games with ScummVM.

Now, I am waiting for the new game to come out and see, if anyone gets it to run properly with Crossover. Same thing for the Special Edition.

If anyone wants to share their results on playing it via Crossover, please do it here:
    Tales:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=5814
    Special Edition:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=5867

Use the same Links to vote or donate for these games at crossover!
  • edited July 2009
    I'm a mac user myself and have already preordered the game. I can already see myself booting Windows just for this or using VMWare... a native, or Wine/Cider/Grog-supported, client would be so kick ass!
  • edited July 2009

yeah, technically speaking you're buying pc-hardware to run macosx

i did the same...

I bought a msi wind u100 to play around with macosx, works pretty well :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.