SEAMLESS episodes please

One thing I disliked about Sam and Max was that, once I finished an episode, I had to go and start a new one, instead of being automatically taken to it. I would have expected a short cutscene and KABOOM, we're in the next episode.

So please, for MI, please handle owners of multiple episodes a bit more gracefully. Monkey Island had Chapters in the past, can you imagine having to sit through credits AND intro between them?

If any analogy is needed: TV series on DVD have a "Play All" option. They show credits and intros, sure, but they understand people might want to keep going with the experience without further intervention.

Put as many restrictions as you feel like in order to make this easier for you:

- Only do it if someone has all 5 chapters
- Only do it if they installed them all in the default directories
- Only do it if it's Saturday and it's the French version of the game

It makes for a more compelling experience, overall.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I agree, replacing credits with the famous chapter-cards (and Michael's appropriate musical cue for them!) for one seamless experience would make it feel much more "Monkey Islandy".
  • edited June 2009
    I haven't played any Telltale games yet, but have just ordered the Monkey Island series, so my question is about the episodes. Are all 5 episodes part of the same one game? So you don't actually finish the game until you finish the 5th episode? Or is each episode a separate game? Also, what is the estimated length of each episode? (based on the other Telltale games)
  • edited June 2009
    irina_g wrote: »
    Are all 5 episodes part of the same one game? So you don't actually finish the game until you finish the 5th episode?

I'd say both. Each episode will probably have some sort of closure, but the main story arch won't be finished until the 5th episode (based on previous Telltale games). I'd treat TOMI as one big game with 5 chapters.
  • edited June 2009
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I'd say both. Each episode will probably have some sort of closure, but the main story arch won't be finished until the 5th episode (based on previous Telltale games). I'd treat TOMI as one big game with 5 chapters.
    Going by S&M and SBCG4AP, I doubt that's how we should look at TOMI. Telltale's episodes are best looked at as 5 small games that are connected by an overarching plot. Huge adventure games may have been an economically sound idea back in the '90s, but we live in different times now. The departure from the traditional model for an adventure game is what got Telltale this far, so I hope they stick with it. I'm positive that the episodic model they refined with S&M will work for MI.
  • edited June 2009
    Automatically transitioning from one episode to the next if both are installed would still be neat :).
  • edited June 2009
    thanks so much! I'm downloading the first Sam and Max episode...I have played the old ones so hopefully these episodes will be just as good! :)
  • edited June 2009
    Personally, I hate how all adventure games are episodic now and the episode format is slowly ruining the genre as it places severe limitations on gameplay and puzzle construction.

With that being said, I accept it as a necessary evil as there's no way to market adventure games in the US at the moment otherwise. Episode adventure games are better than no adventure games.
  • edited June 2009
    Given that we're dealing with a franchise that's always been divided into discrete chapters, each with its own setting and characters, the episodic format seems like a natural fit.
  • edited June 2009
    One thing I disliked about Sam and Max was that, once I finished an episode, I had to go and start a new one, instead of being automatically taken to it. I would have expected a short cutscene and KABOOM, we're in the next episode.

So please, for MI, please handle owners of multiple episodes a bit more gracefully. Monkey Island had Chapters in the past, can you imagine having to sit through credits AND intro between them?

This is so important that needs a reminder. Once all episodes are installed, every chapter should begin immediately after the previous one ends, creating ONE SEAMLESS game.
  • edited June 2009
    NatsFan wrote: »
    Going by S&M and SBCG4AP, I doubt that's how we should look at TOMI. Telltale's episodes are best looked at as 5 small games that are connected by an overarching plot. Huge adventure games may have been an economically sound idea back in the '90s, but we live in different times now. The departure from the traditional model for an adventure game is what got Telltale this far, so I hope they stick with it. I'm positive that the episodic model they refined with S&M will work for MI.

"Grossman explained that Telltale prefers to split a story into segments rather than have one game that is too long for people to comfortably play. However, unlike previous games, each episode is not considered a standalone tale but rather a single chapter in an ongoing narrative."

from tales of monkey island wikipedia page
  • edited June 2009
    Maybe the DVD version at the end could be set up like that? I agree it would be pretty cool, and almost like a complete MI5 (who cares if it's shorter than MI1-4, a month ago most of us didn't even have any hope left for a MI5)
  • Personally, I hate how all adventure games are episodic now and the episode format is slowly ruining the genre as it places severe limitations on gameplay and puzzle construction.

With that being said, I accept it as a necessary evil as there's no way to market adventure games in the US at the moment otherwise. Episode adventure games are better than no adventure games.

I've never bought a telltale game but am going to preorder monkey island at the end of the month. Puzzle construction with episodes is definitely a worry, because 'whole' games have the advantage of the player being able to use objects found in earlier parts of the game towards the end.

How has this been done with sam and max?
  • edited June 2009
    I've never bought a telltale game but am going to preorder monkey island at the end of the month. Puzzle construction with episodes is definitely a worry, because 'whole' games have the advantage of the player being able to use objects found in earlier parts of the game towards the end.

It wasn't so much in Sam & Max but it has already been said that there maybe a few season long items in Tales.
  • edited June 2009
    I don't mind episodes and a completion credits to each, considering the only time it will transition between each would be on our second playthroughs.

But, like everyone here, I expect the Micheal Land music between each ep like in MI3.
  • edited June 2009
    Anyone wanting to know what Telltale's episodic nature is like should remember that there is a free episode of Sam and Max, and that if you've already pre-ordered Monkey Island you have a coupon code for another free episode. Between the two, you might get a generally good idea of what they're like.
  • edited June 2009

Whats New Beelzebub had Sam with the some of the items he had at the end of Episode 204, I think, I'm pretty sure he had like an egg or something.

Also, the games are meant to be played with a month in between them so that shouldn't annoy you to much :P
  • edited June 2009
    Shale wrote: »
    Given that we're dealing with a franchise that's always been divided into discrete chapters, each with its own setting and characters, the episodic format seems like a natural fit.

True, take MI1 for example. Guybrush begins episode 3 I think it is on the ship sailing the carribean, trying to find monkey Island. There might be a few items he has that he didnt need in that episode, but even in the games, between chapters you loose items that arent needed. Most the items you would have no matter how you completed the last chapter. Take Monkey 3 when he comes to the carnival on monkey island, he only has a few items of the items he had earlier in the game. Or at least fewer items than the last chapter. I might not be remembering it right though.

So I think it could work. Still it should be more seamless than Sam n Max. They have their office to start out in, during the beginning of all episodes. In Monkey Island there would have to be new places to start every episode. At least that is the way in the previous Monkey Islands. Of course they might use some of the same locations in between episodes, just not the same starting location. Would ruin seamlessness.
  • edited June 2009
    Hmmm... I don't think the next one should begin automatically. Maybe what should appear, instead, is a screen with all the episodes listed and all you have to do is click on whichever you like.

But I'd hate to have to start a whole new episode when I don't have time to be at my PC all day. One of the best things about episodic game play is that you get to play a 'whole' game in a fraction of the time this would normally take then go and attend to things in real world.

I don't think I'll have time to play an entire season in 1 sitting again in my life time. I didn't even get the opportunity to play whole episodes uninterrupted. I'm quite certain many other players will be in the same position.
  • edited June 2009
    irina_g wrote: »
    thanks so much! I'm downloading the first Sam and Max episode...I have played the old ones so hopefully these episodes will be just as good! :)

I recommend you play Season 2 instead of 1. Season 1 isn't bad, but Season 2 is leagues better and will give you a much better view of what the new MI will be like.
  • edited June 2009
    I recommend starting with season 1. Season 2's good, but season 1 made me laugh harder than any computer game has made me laugh to date. 2 was quite amusing.

Don't worry about loosing items you need later.

Any item you gain in an early episode that you may need later will either still be with you or can be reacquired in some hilarious fashion. If you gained an item in one episode to find it in the next then you're not supposed to have that item, either because it would make things too easy or because it would mitigate the story.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.