Steam?

Is this going to be available on steam like your other games or are lucasarts agaisn't the idea?

thanks

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Oooh, Steam thats exciting!
  • edited June 2009
    The general trend seems to be that Telltale's games eventually end up on Steam, usually somewhat later than their release on Telltale's store.

Nobody here is ever really sure why people buy Telltale games off Steam, though, since you're just opting out of some cool bonuses. But to each his own I suppose.
  • edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Nobody here is ever really sure why people buy Telltale games off Steam, though, since you're just opting out of some cool bonuses. But to each his own I suppose.

See it like this: If it isn't on steam I am not going to buy it. With every game. Not just Telltale ones.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    See it like this: If it isn't on steam I am not going to buy it. With every game. Not just Telltale ones.

wow. just curious... when you started computer gaming, was steam already up and running?
  • edited June 2009
    NickTTG wrote: »
    wow. just curious... when you started computer gaming, was steam already up and running?

No. And that's the reason for it. I have hundreds of Game-Cds flying around here. And I hate it. Especially starting from the time started to save money on the packaging of the games. I really love my old boxes that included great manuals and extra stuff. When I bought Monkey Island I thought the codewheel was a funny extratoy until I started the game for the first time.

btw: I absolutely love the Sam & Max Season 2 case file.

Another great plus on steam is that I can get the english version of almost every game without having to import them.
  • edited June 2009

This is interesting. I see it like this: If it is only on Steam, I am not going to buy it.

I bought Half Life 2 the day it was released, and had constant problems with Steam for about three months until I completed the game, uninstalled it and vowed never to go back.

During those three months, Steam frequently denied me to launch and play my game that I bought in a store and had the disc for, just because it said it couldn't contact its servers.

To me, that is just so horribly wrong and something that I will not support, that even though I bought the Orange Box, I got a pirated copy of Portal just to be able to play it without installing Steam.

Never will I support a system which removes my rights to such an extent again. Today, I'm an Impulse customer, since Stardock has a much more fair view of how DRM should work.
  • edited June 2009
    Unfortunately Telltale games are one of the few cases where you do save any real money on packaging/freight to retailers/retailers' commissions/etc. when buying digitally :/. Most digitally distributed versions of big titles are sold at retail prices or thereabouts, often while cheaper discounts are available in-store.
  • edited June 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    This is interesting. I see it like this: If it is only on Steam, I am not going to buy it.

I bought Half Life 2 the day it was released, and had constant problems with Steam for about three months until I completed the game, uninstalled it and vowed never to go back.

Wow. I guess steam has changed a lot since those days.
  • edited June 2009
    I guess I can understand that, sort of. I only watch a TV show if it's on Hulu, it seems
  • edited June 2009
    I guess I can understand that, sort of. I only watch a TV show if it's on Hulu, it seems
    Hulu has a great concept but I have to use a proxy to access it from Germany. With horrible performance because of that of course.

This Site has some advantages. I can let my friends play the games for free. All they need is my login.
    And you will not get the bonus-DVDs on Steam which is really a pain in the ***. I would really like to listen to the audio commentary. But I guess I can't have everything.
    And then there is the problem with the pricing for Europe. I would save a lot of money if I bought the games here... And still I prefere steam.
  • edited June 2009
    Well Steam is not for me anymore at least not for Telltale games, you dont get the DVDs, no comfort because if you order directly from TTG you also instantly can start to play, but with the benefit of being able to get a DVD afterwards.
    On Steam there is no way except for rebuying directly from TTG to get hands on the DVD. Steam is no option unless you get the games in their weekend special half price.
  • edited June 2009
    Steam is a bit more reassuring, but I bought it off this store for the limited edition case, and I wanted to have a go at Wallace and Gromit. I didn't like it much though, though I intend to finish it.

But steam is more trusted.
  • edited June 2009
    I have to agree with you about buying from steam. I generally only want to get my games on that store since it makes keeping track of them incredibly easier.

As for your issues you had with steam, that really sucks. But I've never had any problem with it. I've been using steam since it first came out in beta (back for what, counter-strike 1.6?) and it's always worked well for me.

If only I could buy the game from telltale (for the dvd, etc.) then tie it to steam afterward.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do. I do know I'll be buying it one of the ways, though.
  • edited June 2009

It has reliability definitely is not an issue anymore for me, but the european prices definitely are. Games on steam often end up more expensive than their offline counterparts, especially if you do a bulk import from the UK into the euro zone!
  • edited June 2009

AACK! Stop teasing Canadians, we don't get Hulu!!! :mad:
  • edited June 2009
    I'd also like some confirmation on this. Essentially while my preference is for steam I'm going to buy this game one way or another and I'd like to know now so I can preorder it on telltale with the bonuses should there be no steam version.

For now I will wait for the steam version since it's highly probable there will be one and telltale has been getting more efficient at releasing on steam in a timely manner. With Sam and Max it was a long wait after the conclusion of the series, with Wallace and Gromit each episode is released simultaneously with just a couple of hours difference (not at the fault of telltale I believe).

As for the steam vs telltale debate all I can say is that each has it's own benefits.
    Some prefer the glossy artwork and a box to go into thier collection (a subset of the community I suspect is largely old school adventure gamers). Those who have more heartily embraced digital distribution may prefer steam's integration with community features and the uniformality of having all thier games on steam (a subset I suspect composed of gamers with more interest in multiplayer games where steam really shines).
  • edited June 2009
    Yes I know this thread died a little, yet still no answer from telltale.
    Please can someone just give an answer as to whether this will appear on Steam?:confused:
  • edited June 2009

I guess so. I cannot launch Empire: Total War without launching Steam and letting it connect to the server, which in a way is annoying. I didn't know this before I ordered it (and yes it's a disc I bought, in a box with a printed manual etc.). It's kinda putting me off of Steam. Apart from the fact that they charge the same amount of POUNDS for games as in US DOLLARS.
  • edited June 2009
    Have you set Steam to offline mode?
  • edited June 2009
    Donno, haven't really examined Steam. Where would that option possibly be?
  • edited June 2009
    I guess so. I cannot launch Empire: Total War without launching Steam and letting it connect to the server, which in a way is annoying. I didn't know this before I ordered it (and yes it's a disc I bought, in a box with a printed manual etc.). It's kinda putting me off of Steam. Apart from the fact that they charge the same amount of POUNDS for games as in US DOLLARS.

Why would you not want to connect through Steam?
    Steam is the best thing to happen to PC gaming in a long time.
    You could always ask a buddy in America to gift you the game at $ prices to work around the sterling issue. Maybe slip him/her an extra $5 for their trouble?
  • edited June 2009
    Fishsnot wrote: »
    Why would you not want to connect through Steam?
    Steam is the best thing to happen to PC gaming in a long time.
    I don't really use it :p I have to use it when I want to play ETW.
    You could always ask a buddy in America to gift you the game at $ prices to work around the sterling issue. Maybe slip him/her an extra $5 for their trouble?
    I don't really have any urge to buy something from it, but I heard from other guild members who order various stuff from Steam. Personally I'm only bothered by the logging in and connecting to Steam thing in order to play an OFFline game (I don't really multiplay it yet. Enjoying a Grand Campaign once in a while). :)
  • edited June 2009
    That's cool buddy :)
    Thinking of picking up that game myself as well at some point.
  • edited June 2009
    Donno, haven't really examined Steam. Where would that option possibly be?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555
  • edited June 2009
    Cheers :)
  • edited June 2009
    I despise Steam. They randomly deleted my account after I got some Gmod models. I'm guessing they were thinking the models were pirated or stolen. I had almost every game that gave models to Gmod and had spend hundreds on Steam. After I complained, they then asked me to show them the original packaging.

Well as I don't WANT to keep the original packaging around and the CDs I threw them away. If they just take up space...

Totally screwed and nothing I can do about it.

Really hope MI:SE doesn't release that way.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I guess I'll forgive Steam. Their customer service department was very helpful and actually restored my account now that I remembered I had a few Day of Defeat and Sin Episode 1 confirmation emails in another email - even though I couldn't prove all the games I had bought. So while it sucked they killed my account back in the day a year later they fixed it.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Well, I guess I'll forgive Steam. Their customer service department was very helpful and actually restored my account now that I remembered I had a few Day of Defeat and Sin Episode 1 confirmation emails in another email - even though I couldn't prove all the games I had bought. So while it sucked they killed my account back in the day a year later they fixed it.

Better late than never :)
  • edited June 2009
    Definitely happy about it. It was a total buzz kill though as I deleted all the rare and unique and dated Gmod models I used to own thinking I had been screwed and lost all interest in it. Perhaps I'll get back into it in a limited form. More excited about Telltale Games and Monkey Island right now - going to go through all of my mother's old games and play them again, like Simon the Sorcerer.
  • edited June 2009
    So er .....Is Tales going to Steam or not?
    Why don't any of the mods respond to this question?
    Are the mods only on the private forum now?
    I would buy it from Telltale but like many I like the convenience of having all my games in one place.
    Please answer :(
  • edited June 2009
    Steam is good, as it's a safer method of purchase (Telltale is a small site) and you can get it anywhere and gift purchases are great.

The downside is the developer only gets 70% of sales, the rest goes to Steam.

I imagine TOMI will come to steam, but probably a bit later.

It is a business after all.
  • edited June 2009
    I feel secure with Teltale's system, and I get more out of it. Telltale's customer service is great and more focused on a smaller group, we get the benefit of discussions with the people making the games, and there's the disc with disc-based authentication.

Really, that last one is REALLY the deal-breaker for me. The disc makes me feel like I really do own the title, and it gives me the security of knowing I'll always be able to play the game even if Telltale's servers go down.

Plus, I always pay with PayPal, and that gives me confidence in the security of my payment.

...Oh, and I like buying as directly from the developer as I can. Valve didn't make the game, I don't see why I should give them some of the money for giving it to me. Especially if the guys that made the game can give me the same game for the same price and get more money for the work they did.

[[Side question for those who use Steam:

If I bought a multiplayer game through Steam, I'd be able to connect just fine with someone who has a PC DVD version of the game not authenticated through Steam, right? I'm thinking of picking up Civ IV and playing online, and I'm not sure if buying through Steam ties me to "Steam Multiplayer Servers" or anything of that sort.]]
  • edited June 2009
    Fury wrote: »
    The downside is the developer only gets 70% of sales, the rest goes to Steam.

That would still be a LOT more then what they get from Retail Sales if this would be true. Nobody knows how much of the money they get.
  • edited June 2009
    I remember using Steam way back when it was first released, and through my long experience with it...it has only become more functional than disfunctional in that last couple years.

I've never played any telltale games up until i heard of ToMI and pre-ordered it, and then using my free coupon for the first episode of the first season of sam and max, thinking it would give me and idea of how ToMI will be. I started the game and didnt stop till i beat it a couple hours later. And congrats telltale, i quickly logged back on to buy the upgrade for the rest of the season.

But everytime i start an episode and it brings me to the log-on window with forum threads and what not, i feel i should be taken to a steam-like program displaying all of my purchases...maybe it does and im too stoned to work it...
  • edited June 2009
    Chase13 wrote: »
    I remember using Steam way back when it was first released, and through my long experience with it...it has only become more functional than disfunctional in that last couple years.

I've never played any telltale games up until i heard of ToMI and pre-ordered it, and then using my free coupon for the first episode of the first season of sam and max, thinking it would give me and idea of how ToMI will be. I started the game and didnt stop till i beat it a couple hours later. And congrats telltale, i quickly logged back on to buy the upgrade for the rest of the season.

But everytime i start an episode and it brings me to the log-on window with forum threads and what not, i feel i should be taken to a steam-like program displaying all of my purchases...maybe it does and im too stoned to work it...
    Nah. And I kind of prefer it that way. I always feel like Steam gets in the way in that regard. I click on a shortcut for that game in my desktop, and Steam kind of assumes that I want to open up a big black application with all of my purchases on it.

(Personally I'd like to be able to turn off the launcher after authenticating the game. And I don't see why they need to open the launcher after I've quit, either, which is annoying. These are minor gripes, but they're there.)

But yeah, your Telltale purchases aren't in the launcher. Does sound like a good feature though, for those who bought a season after the fact and want to jump right into the next episode. Would make opening the launcher after you exit an episode actually make SENSE.
  • edited June 2009
    Nah. And I kind of prefer it that way. I always feel like Steam gets in the way in that regard. I click on a shortcut for that game in my desktop, and Steam kind of assumes that I want to open up a big black application with all of my purchases on it.

But you have to give it credit for being successful in a sense that it makes it very difficult to pirate and share games...
  • edited June 2009
    Chase13 wrote: »
    But you have to give it credit for being successful in a sense that it makes it very difficult to pirate and share games...
    That's a developer benefit. It's not my benefit. Measures against shoplifting don't help the consumer, but if implemented well they will just not hinder the consumer. Same with Steam. If I'm going to use it, I need a more tangible benefit to me, because I generally use services because I get some sort of benefit from it.
  • edited June 2009
    That's a developer benefit. It's not my benefit. Measures against shoplifting don't help the consumer, but if implemented well they will just not hinder the consumer. Same with Steam. If I'm going to use it, I need a more tangible benefit to me, because I generally use services because I get some sort of benefit from it.

I think the Steam client provides multiple benefits that regular game management doesn't offer. Steam has been very successful in customer satisfaction ever since they started the Steam community. It made HUGE upgrades in connecting with other players to make it easy to play together. And the in-game control is amazing, especially with the new in-game web browsing.

And I've pirated my fair share of games, more than i ever needed, but I dont mind purchasing games through steam because its an automatic insurance that my games will always be there. And installing just steam when I get a new computer rather than installing games one at a time by cd is much more convenient.
  • edited June 2009
    [[Side question for those who use Steam:

If I bought a multiplayer game through Steam, I'd be able to connect just fine with someone who has a PC DVD version of the game not authenticated through Steam, right? I'm thinking of picking up Civ IV and playing online, and I'm not sure if buying through Steam ties me to "Steam Multiplayer Servers" or anything of that sort.]]
    I can't think of a single case where Steam is incompatible with retail.

Anyway, personally I think Steam is great if you're a regular gamer and so can justify keeping it running in the background all the time. If you only play occasionally I can see how many people can see it as a bother.
  • edited June 2009
    I personally like to buy games direct from the developer, if at all possible, so I get Telltale's games from their store and Valve's games through Steam. The only other game I play through Steam is Football Manager 2009 because one of the options regarding activation was to do it through Steam which also gave the benefits of automatic patching & removed the need to keep the game disc in my drive.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.