Im glad the game has a unique art style rather than looking like another generic gritty fantasy game

edited November 2014 in Game Of Thrones

My biggiest disappointment about this generations of games so far is how fantasy games are starting to all look the same

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

These 4 different game all went for the same gritty art style and as result none of them really end up standing out

Game developers seem so obsessed with how many polygons they can put on the screen that they forget about how important good "Art direction" is and how important it is in helping games stand out

Comments

• edited November 2014

its all about the theme.. if you're making a dark game like GOT or any of things you mentioned up there, it has to be dark, you cant play GOT with neon lights and such. because then it will be so OFF and weird to play... yes they SEEM to look the same but if you are a true fan you know the difference! but telltale has a unique '' art style '' and they blew my mind with TWAU that i know that i can trust them as far as ''HOW THE GAME LOOKS'' as we say.
    they dont disappoint in that area! i ONLY had issues with some of the choices having no consequence as i played some scenes from different episodes, but i know that they listens to their fans and i know that i wont complain about a thing twice, thats whats cool about every game they make! you know that they wont disappoint again, I HOPE SO! :D

that was so long LOL!

PS; for me, when i buy any game i see who's making it. who's developing it, working on it etc..... i dont trust reviews even if the game is so big! and telltale is one of the rare one's that i buy without searching their games too much :D that says something, on MY part ha :P

• edited November 2014

Witcher 3 doesn't look that bad.

Alt text

Alt text

Alt text

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34

Btw: The voice acting is so bad at this one, original version is much better.

• Well, to be honest TTG cant afford to go realistic 3D. Which in this case is really good and in TWD and TWAU and BL it's even fitting. So yeah, cool, great.

• i am a witcher fan. and that trailer gives me chills!!!!!

What are you doing!!!! ''KILLING MONSTERS''

i was like... Geralt you are such a badass!!!!!!! urrrgggghhhh cant wait for next year to play that!!!!

and it lookes AWESOME not DECENT!

fallandir posted: »

Witcher 3 doesn't look that bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34 Btw: The voice acting is so bad at this one, original version is much better.

• Yeah, trailer's amazing. :>

Have you seen the gameplay video? Around 30 minutes long. It's pretty cool.

Mercyva posted: »

i am a witcher fan. and that trailer gives me chills!!!!! What are you doing!!!! ''KILLING MONSTERS'' i was like... Geralt you

• The Witcher 1 and 2 were awesome. Can't wait for the 3rd part.

• yeah! but i didnt see tooo much, maybe 10 minutes or so. i wanted to experience everything as a new thing. :D

Yeah, trailer's amazing. :> Have you seen the gameplay video? Around 30 minutes long. It's pretty cool.

• edited November 2014

yeah but telltale is not the type to make those kind of games, if you see their previous serieses.... they go more for the ''Cartoony'' and not a ''Realistic'' lookin' games like the witcher or dragon age. :D

i think they know what their games are good at and they are getting better since TWD season 1. and as of recent, my fav was TWAU! it was so beautifully done with the noir feels :p

Well, to be honest TTG cant afford to go realistic 3D. Which in this case is really good and in TWD and TWAU and BL it's even fitting. So yeah, cool, great.

• Oh my god hahahahaha that trailer is so hilariously stereotypical for witcher fans to enjoy

'Bad azz character!!!!!!!! Must save dAMSEL IN DISTRESS!!!!! Must get WAIFUUUUU!!!!!!! yay i have sex l8r xDDDDDDDDDDDD women need be save by my powar'

Beautiful. Makes me remember why I stopped playing witcher 1 within the first half an hour as soon as I saw they had bouncing breast animations.

Witcher 3 doesn't look that bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34 Btw: The voice acting is so bad at this one, original version is much better.

• Sorry, but if you stopped playing, how can you know what was the game about, and what's sterotypical and what's not? Have you read the books, do you know the plot?

Flog61 posted: »

Oh my god hahahahaha that trailer is so hilariously stereotypical for witcher fans to enjoy 'Bad azz character!!!!!!!! Must save dAMSEL I

• edited November 2014

HBO's version of Westeros has very little colour compared to GRRMs original vision. I like this image from the graphic novel showing the tourney at Ashford with multicoloured house banners, tents and clothing that isnt present in the TV show. (Sorry for the crappy picture at the top, i couldn't find it anywhere so took it myself)

Alt text

Alt text

• edited November 2014

I didn't profess to know what the game is about, and you don't have to have played something in order to point out stereotypes around those who do.

How is the plot of the game relevant to a point about my view of a Witcher-player stereotype?

Sorry, but if you stopped playing, how can you know what was the game about, and what's sterotypical and what's not? Have you read the books, do you know the plot?

• Oh my god hahahahaha that trailer is so hilariously stereotypical for witcher fans to enjoy

'Bad azz character!!!!!!!! Must save dAMSEL IN DISTRESS!!!!! Must get WAIFUUUUU!!!!!!! yay i have sex l8r xDDDDDDDDDDDD women need be save by my powar'

Beautiful. Makes me remember why I stopped playing witcher 1 within the first half an hour as soon as I saw they had bouncing breast animations.

Seems a bit harsh, whats wrong with all that? Just because your not a fan?

Oh my god hahahahaha that trailer is so hilariously stereotypical for witcher fans to enjoy 'Bad azz character!!!!!!!! Must save dAMSEL I

• ...what's wrong with being a white knight and objectifying women?

Oh my god hahahahaha that trailer is so hilariously stereotypical for witcher fans to enjoy 'Bad azz character!!!!!!!! Must save dAMS

• Whos doing that?

So women can never need saving ever? Or men? or anyone? Why does a game turn into a political debate?

...what's wrong with being a white knight and objectifying women?

• edited November 2014

The company by devoting animation resources into making the women have bouncing breasts for absolutely no reason.

And you know that a man saving women from the hands of other men is a greatly overdone trope.

The way games are written and the people who buy them can tell us a lot about our society's morals and opinions.

Whos doing that? So women can never need saving ever? Or men? or anyone? Why does a game turn into a political debate?

• How is the plot of the game relevant to a point about my view of a Witcher-player stereotype?

Becasuse it seems like your sterotype is invalid, and you would know this if you had discovered the plot. You're missing a lot thinking this way.

I didn't profess to know what the game is about, and you don't have to have played something in order to point out stereotypes around those who do. How is the plot of the game relevant to a point about my view of a Witcher-player stereotype?

• A scene you mentioned is part of a game itself, and all animated scenes are refined and very detailed. You could point out other one, for exaple a sword gleaming in the sun. Doesn't really matter, but still counts. Eroticism was always part of the Witcher series, it's normal that was included in the game describing debauchery and corrupted society.

The company by devoting animation resources into making the women have bouncing breasts for absolutely no reason. And you know that a man

• But they chose to use it to advertise.

I don't care if it's well refined, refined sexism is still sexism. A polished turd is a turd.

A scene you mentioned is part of a game itself, and all animated scenes are refined and very detailed. You could point out other one, for ex

• They did. Perhaps to specify age limit, I'm not sure.

Witcher's word is created to be similar to Medieval Eastern Europe, sexism was a part of human's life back then. This series is full of turd (along with polished turd as well), bribes, deviations, diseases and many disgusting things.

But they chose to use it to advertise. I don't care if it's well refined, refined sexism is still sexism. A polished turd is a turd.

• Excuse me, in medieval eastern europe women did not have far bouncier breasts than they do in real life.

No was there magic, for that record.

They did. Perhaps to specify age limit, I'm not sure. Witcher's word is created to be similar to Medieval Eastern Europe, sexism was a pa

• ....Kind of missing the point, Its a medieval setting regardless of magical elements.

Excuse me, in medieval eastern europe women did not have far bouncier breasts than they do in real life. No was there magic, for that record.

• I was talking about sexism. Really, what's with the breasts? I'm a girl and I don't have any problem with realism here.

Excuse me, in medieval eastern europe women did not have far bouncier breasts than they do in real life. No was there magic, for that record.

• Why can't it be a medieval setting without sexism then?

And again, did women have bouncier breasts in the middle ages?

....Kind of missing the point, Its a medieval setting regardless of magical elements.

• Because there was sexism in the middle ages...

Females back then were used for sex and must be physically attractive to males to want to be taken...Therefore bouncy breasts.

Why can't it be a medieval setting without sexism then? And again, did women have bouncier breasts in the middle ages?

• The company by devoting animation resources into making the women have bouncing breasts for absolutely no reason.

Real breasts do actually bounce, you know. A company might devote animation resources into giving women breasts that bounce for the same reason they devote animation resources into making hair that flows or cloth that ripples. It's an imperfect attempt to capture realism. If your complaint is that the breast physics in games are exaggerated and inaccurate, then the solution to that is actually to devote more resources into making the animations more precise.

And you know that a man saving women from the hands of other men is a greatly overdone trope. The way games are written and the people who buy them can tell us a lot about our society's morals and opinions.

Well in this case, it tells us that the society sees violence against women as an especially abhorrent and cowardly thing to do and should not be tolerated by those who profess themselves as heroes. That's not that bad of a moral. And it's based on the fact that women are, by and large, much weaker than men, and the pretty uncontroversial notion that hurting someone weaker than you is worse than hurting someone of equal or greater strength. I agree that the damsel in distress is a cliche, but I don't think it's as harmful or sexist as people make it out to be.

The company by devoting animation resources into making the women have bouncing breasts for absolutely no reason. And you know that a man

Sign in to comment in this discussion.