VMWare Fusion or Parallels?

edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
So - I'm a Mac owner, and I'll be installing a virtualization solution entirely for this game.

Having said that, does Telltale have a recommendation (no guaranteed support, I know) or does anyone else have experience with Telltale's recent games under either VMWare Fusion or Paralells? I'd like to get whatever's better with their engine, as it's seriously the only reason I'm buying a virtualization solution.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    As far as I know, VMWare is the only virtualization software that actually support hardware accelerated DirectX, which is certainly a requirement to play these games smoothly.

I'd suggest getting a demo version of VMWare Fusion and Wallace & Gromit episode 1, and see if that works well.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd recommend doing Boot Camp, because my experience with virtualisation and games on my MBP has been terrible, using Parallels.

Pity the Windows activation is so pissy, that you can't e.g. set up a Boot Camp partition, and then use virtualisation for when you just want to do quick things (e.g. check a site in IE) without running into the activation limit on second reboot.

That, and Apple's apalling driver support under Boot Camp. The CPU pegs it, and in my case the 9600M is on with fans at full blast. The trackpad is also terrible. But hey, that's Apple and their attitude to Windows for you :-/

So I know I've just said use Boot Camp, and then gone on about how horrid it is - but if you want to do 3D gaming stuff, no virtualisation solution is going to be ideal for the time being.
  • edited June 2009
    Hello, I have a Mac with VMware Fusion installed (2.0.4, the latest version). I had no problem at all playing through Sam & Max seasons 1 and 2 and Strong Bad episode 1.

But alas, I was unable to play Wallace & Gromit Episode 1 : screen was black with only the text appearing, sound was skipping and the mouse cursor moved very slowly. I tried to start a new game without more success. :(
  • edited June 2009
    I am currently using a Mac boot camped to run the Windows 7 Beta. I've had no problems running any of the demos of the games, so you may want to use this as a nice, free alternative.
  • TimTim
    edited June 2009
    darkowl wrote: »
    I'd recommend doing Boot Camp, because my experience with virtualisation and games on my MBP has been terrible, using Parallels.

Pity the Windows activation is so pissy, that you can't e.g. set up a Boot Camp partition, and then use virtualisation for when you just want to do quick things (e.g. check a site in IE) without running into the activation limit on second reboot.

Not really sure whether this is a Parallels specific issue, but I have no re-activation issues while using my Windows XP install natively through Boot Camp, and a few moments later virtualized through Mac OSX's VMWare Fusion. And back again. Just thought I'd point that out.
  • Sean ASean A Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    I have an early 2008 model Macbook Pro, and I ran the Wallace and Gromit Demo fine in Fusion 2.0. Strong Bad runs fine, too, as does Sam and Max.

MI has the same specs as Wallace and Gromit, so you should be fine depending on your Mac. Mine has 2GB virtual ram in XP.

I really hope ToMI works, though. I don't want to go back to a Boot Camp partition or, worse, fire up my old XP desktop again.
  • edited June 2009
    I am currently using a Mac boot camped to run the Windows 7 Beta. I've had no problems running any of the demos of the games, so you may want to use this as a nice, free alternative.

Windows 7 Beta and RC are both time-bombed... they stop working after specific dates.

The RC's date isn't until 2010 sometime, but still, not a good long-term solution.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.