Telltale site pre-orders

Any news of if the game will be releasing on the telltale store? And when pre-orders will be up? I like buying telltale direct so telltale gets more money but since Poker Night 2 was a steam only release on PC I was curious if this might be too due to connections with the borderlands games.

Comments

• since Poker Night 2 was a steam only release on PC I was curious if this might be too due to connections with the borderlands games.

Nope, at the end of the trailer, the platforms are shown, and it shows Steam and Telltale Store as options.

• I think Poker Night 2 was Steam only due to how items were unlocked. If TftB unlocks items in Borderlands 2 and/or Pre-Sequel, this might be the case.
    I'm going to wait because IF Telltale sells it directly, they'll probably have a physical edition.

• edited November 2014

I've been wondering the same thing myself. For me, ever since the Tales of Monkey Island, the reason for pre-orders has been the collector's DVDs. If there's no incentive for pre-orders then why should I buy now, when I can always buy the game later?

Besides, while I have occasionally bought TTG's games from other places as well, Telltale store is my favourite place to buy them. Buying from Steam just doesn't feel right, unless there's a huge discount or something.

• I too have been seeing the pre-order notice pop up on Steam, and I'm baffled why they won't let me pre-order directly from Telltale, which I have been doing with everything they put out at least since Sam & Max Season 2. Are they phasing out their own store or something?

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

It could be that the are not ready to add pre-orders to their website yet but i will try asking about it.

• Any news yet?

It's been on Steam for almost a week now and if it doesn't arrive soon to Telltale store, I will probably spend the money which I reserved for pre-ordering this to buy some other game instead.

OzzyUK posted: »

It could be that the are not ready to add pre-orders to their website yet but i will try asking about it.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

No news yet but if i get any i will post it here.

Any news yet? It's been on Steam for almost a week now and if it doesn't arrive soon to Telltale store, I will probably spend the money which I reserved for pre-ordering this to buy some other game instead.

• OK.

I'm starting to get bit worried now that also Game of Thrones is available on Steam, but neither is available on Telltale store.

No news yet but if i get any i will post it here.

• Why dont you buy them on steam? Why do you insist on the telltale store? Just curious not offensive. :)

OK. I'm starting to get bit worried now that also Game of Thrones is available on Steam, but neither is available on Telltale store.

• Everything but The Walking Dead and some of the smaller stuff had a special DVD edition that was only available to TTG Store buyers.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Why dont you buy them on steam? Why do you insist on the telltale store? Just curious not offensive.

• edited November 2014

Yeah, I personally have a nice little collection of Telltale DVDs, including Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, Strong Bad, Wallace and Grommit, and the Deluxe editions of Back to the Future and Jurassic Park. Used to be that they'd offer a free episode or a copy of Puzzle Agent when you pre-ordered, though that little lagniappe didn't do me much good when I was buying everything they had anyway. Every game in their catalog I've bought from their store, except Poker Night at the Inventory 2 where they just send you to the Steam store, and that CSI game that they're not even pushing anymore.

I did get a free copy of 400 Days because I had ordered directly from them, but otherwise the occasional premiums weren't an appeal to my cupidity -- they did what they were intended to do and gave me a warm feeling that engendered loyalty to the company. So now it's like, what the hell do you mean I can't buy this game directly from your store? Yeah, I know; what a sad sack I am for acting all hurt and confused like they're not returning my phone calls. But it's starting to look like they want to go in a different direction.

I'm sure an official explanation is forthcoming, to this effect:

We loved you! Why? Because you bought some stuff! But now we think maybe we were just in love with being in love, you know? You are a wonderful customer, and any company would be lucky to have your money. But we're just not the plucky little studio you first met with starry-eyed dreams of kicking the world of point-and-click adventure gaming in the ass and making the genre thrive again. We're moving in bigger circles now, and it's a very exciting time.

We don't even make adventure games anymore. Not really. We know you've noticed. Maybe once in a while we won't let a character carry more than one tool, but the fact is that our hearts are just not in it any more. Who can say where all the puzzles went? And you've been saying some hurtful things, like "Why are these save game files so huge?" and "You've imported my choices wrong!" But we're not putting the blame on you. It's us, we've changed and we like what we've become. A lot of people do. I wish you could just be happy for us.

We'll always be your friends, but now we need some time apart. Our new games will always be available to you, but let's not make this any more awkward than it has to be. Why not order from Steam from now on? They told me you just picked up a copy of Dreamfall: Chapters. Just promise us you won't forget who came up with episodic gaming with plot-branching dialogue choices.

Yours with all our hearts,

Telltale Games

Gibbeynator posted: »

Everything but The Walking Dead and some of the smaller stuff had a special DVD edition that was only available to TTG Store buyers.

• edited November 2014

I explained my reasons earlier in this thread. It's a matter of personal preference and currently I have no reason to pre-order. I prefer Telltale store's collector's editions. Besides that Steam is one of my least favourite on-line stores and I rarely buy anything from Steam unless it's at least 70-80% off.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Why dont you buy them on steam? Why do you insist on the telltale store? Just curious not offensive.

• Yeah i dont mind to but it off steam but i really would like to know if i can pre order of telltale before i buy it off steam

• i hope telltales put up a pre-order on their site soon. i rather do it from here because i like getting the dvd for buyers that you only get when you buy from their site.

• I am totally fine with Steam's release of it, but yeah it's looking good guys!

• I'd just like to know one way or another so I can pre-order on Steam if its not going to be available on Telltale.

• Still nothing. For the past 12 days I have visited Telltale store at least once per day hoping to make my pre-order, but now the frustration of waiting has reached the critical point and I'm starting to think that I'm gonna pass both this and Game of Thrones (despite the fact that I'm Game of Thrones -fan).

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

It should be up on the store now, you might need to clear your cache to see the new website.

Still nothing. For the past 12 days I have visited Telltale store at least once per day hoping to make my pre-order, but now the frustration

• Thanks for pointing this out, it didn't show properly at first.

For some odd reason it's more expensive on Telltale store than it's on Steam (which annoys me somewhat), but nevertheless I bought it from Telltale store. And Game of Thrones pre-order still isn't available on Telltale store.

It should be up on the store now, you might need to clear your cache to see the new website.

• Yeah I bought it off telltale as well but it does feel a bit rude to longtime fans to make it more expensive for us that waited to buy directly from them. Hopefully Game of Thrones will be on Telltale's site before launch. And hopefully in the future they either keep the telltale store as good a place to purchase games, or they move entirely over to steam only. I wouldn't have a problem buying on steam, I just have all my other telltale games on here already so I like them all in one place.

Thanks for pointing this out, it didn't show properly at first. For some odd reason it's more expensive on Telltale store than it's on St

• Yeah, it seems its available directly from Telltale when it is no longer eligible for pre-order. Except Steam is still holding pre-order prices for another day. But that two-and-a-half bucks wasn't making the difference to me. I've had the impression that I was rewarding a company doing good work by purchasing directly from their web site. But the fact that they were not in a hurry to make that option available, or to even match the pre-order price available at Steam suggests they're changing their model of customer relations. Maybe Steam balks at them appearing to undercut Steam's own sales of Telltale games.

In any case, I'll go ahead and buy from Telltale directly this time, and maybe they won't even want to be a direct retailer for future games. Or maybe they're just not going to offer direct sales during the pre-order period anymore. I wish they'd just go ahead and say so.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.