Do I need to watch the TV series to play this game?

Do I need to watch the TV series to play this game?

Comments

• edited November 2014

Not really but Telltale said that the game starts by the end of season 3 of the television show. So it is truly recommended that you watch the TV series until the end of the 3rd Season and even further into the 4th season because the game ends by the start of the 5th season. It's better if you watch the television series for yourself so you know all the significant events of GOT rather than having it spoiled in the game.

• Cheesh, I haven't even watched season 1 yet. With each episode being about 50 mintues long, I will have to spend... 33 hours? Phew, not as much as I thought it would take. Thanks for your reply! :D

• No problem man and I'm glad you're going to watch the show, it's the best. Trust me, you won't regret it :)

Cheesh, I haven't even watched season 1 yet. With each episode being about 50 mintues long, I will have to spend... 33 hours? Phew, not as much as I thought it would take. Thanks for your reply!

• I doubt it, but you should still treat yourself to such an amazing series.

• I suggest you do so you have an idea who the other characters are from the show. So when I see a character from the show I will be like OMG!

• edited December 2014

well it takes place during the end of season 3 and during season 4 so yea you might need to but up to you

• How do you think someone who has read all the books but only watched the first season of the show will get along? I know there are differences but I wouldn't be too far off the plot would I?

• Disregard the show, read the books instead

• Disregard the books, watch the show instead.

• I posted this earlier and will post this again:

According to various reviews (Polygon, Joystiq etc), this series is indeed geared to those with knowledge and familiarity with the source material.

That's one reason I am not buying this at launch.

From IGN's review:

First, a warning: definitely do not approach this game as a way to introduce yourself to Game of Thrones. It’s made for existing fans, in that it requires a good amount of knowledge of the story

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/02/game-of-thrones-episode-1-iron-from-ice-review

From Joystiq (writer responding to user comments):

Q This sounds like it's going to be impenetrable for people like me who have less than zero familiarity with the source material.

A Completely impenetrable, yes. You don't have to be a die-hard fan, but you do have to have all the backstory, even for small things like why two guys with the last name of "Snow" aren't part of the same family.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/02/game-of-thrones-episode-one-review-baptism-by-ice/

From Polygon's review:

If those names and that sequence of events means something to you, you're in luck and will probably enjoy the rest of the story. If you're already lost, it would take me pages to explain who these people are and what's going on. "Iron from Ice" isn't a game for casual fans.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/2/7315451/game-of-thrones-telltale-episode-1-review-xbox-one-ps4-PC

• After playing the Episode, I must say: Yes.

Yes, you should watch the show before playing. Otherwise it won't be as enjoyable for you.

• After playing the episode I have to say that watching the show for 3-4 seasons (or reading at least the first 3 books, whichever you prefer) is almost mandatory to understand everything going on behind the scenes

• I just finished the first Episode, and yes you NEED to have watched the show (or read the books I guess).
    I mean with the Walking Dead it was completely different. There were some reappearing characters (such as Glenn, Hershel, etc) but they were properly introduced and didn't have any references to the tv show anyways but god in this episode it would be absolutely overwhelming and confusing if I wasn't familiar with the show. So many references to characters and events it's insane. For a person who loves Game of thrones it was an amazing experience but I feel like someone who isn't familiar with the franchise will have a much worse experience due to this.

• I just finished it and I have to say that you probably should watch the show or read the books before playing. If you really want to play it, I suppose that you can read a plot synopsis online about the show. It's definitely geared toward fans of the show though, if that's what you're wondering. You may be a little lost when it comes to certain references in the game.

• I'd say its impossible to understand whats going on if you haven't seen the show or read the books.

• After playing the game, I suggest you watch the show if you want to understand what is going on.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.