Some thoughs after finishing SBCG4AP

I finished episode 5 yesterday, and thought I'd post on my thoughts after finishing the season.

First, the bad:
1) No universal settings like S&M season two. I'd like to be able to set my resolution and whatnot just once and then play the remaining episodes on those same settings. I also would've liked to have some kind of "advanced" panel for setting FSAA and AF, as I've spent quite a few euros on my desktop and think it's a bit silly to have to fiddle around in nVidia's control panel just for Telltale's games.

2) Some hassles with the controls. The worst was upstairs in Strong Bad's house, it was sometimes a bit of a trouble to move from room to room, because SB would sometimes start going in the wrong direction or wouldn't do anything at all if the cursor wasn't exactly where it was supposed to be in the adjacent room.

3) Sound quality. Didn't bother me as much as S&M seasons one & two, but still, definitely needs improvement.

4) Maybe a bit too much time was spent in the same environments doing the same things. Especially the metal detector became a chore as the season progressed.

The good:
1) Hint system worked really well and seemed to always know when to throw me a bone.

2) While the writing didn't really make me burst out in laughter more than once or twice, it kept a smile on my face. I especially enjoyed all the retro-game goodness in Episode 5, and my second favourite was Baddest of the Bands.

3) I'm not a huge fan of Homestar Runner, but I do enjoy the occasional SBEmail. I'm glad that the writing didn't seem too fan-servicey (in that even a non-fan was able to enjoy it) and I think the season did a good job in introducing many of these characters.

All in all, I enjoyed the season all the way through, even if did at times feel a bit repetitive (a problem shared by both seasons of S&M). I hope we'll see the universal settings from S&M season 2 in Telltale's other/future games and I'm also hoping for improved audio quality in the future.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I agree with all of these. Great review, or whatever I call it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Hakobus wrote: »
    3) I'm not a huge fan of Homestar Runner, but I do enjoy the occasional SBEmail. I'm glad that the writing didn't seem too fan-servicey (in that even a non-fan was able to enjoy it) and I think the season did a good job in introducing many of these characters.

I thought reviewers were off in this regard. It seems like the reviewers who were already big Homestar fans would often say "whoa whoa, this game is for Homestar fans only! It's too crazy for anyone else to understand," which might actually be slightly presumptuous, given that reviewers who hadn't been Homestar fans and reviewed the game favorably often echoed what you said. Glad you enjoyed the game!
  • edited June 2009
    I haven't played the full game yet, but I'm loving what I have played. In fact, the only reason I am currently a Homestar Runner fan right now is because Telltale introduced it to me. Dangeresque 3 was the first episode I played. I tried watching the cartoons to check it out before I played the game, but it was too hard for me to get into at first. And then I played Dangeresque 3 and was instantly hooked.
    Granted, Dangeresque 3 isn't the best way to start off with, since all the characters are playing other parts, but I understood what was happening eventually.
    So yeah, it's a good game, even for non-Homestar Runner fans.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.