Is it just me or is the time to choose an option incredibly limited compared to any other TTG Game?

Just finished EP1 of the Tales from the Borderlands and I have to say it was by FAR the most annoyance in terms of quick decisions I EVER had in ANY ttg game. There just isn't enough time. In every choice like 70% of the time is required to spot your cursor and move it where you want it. There is literally zero time to choose any dialogue options compared to previous games. Hotkeys like in the older games (EG The Walking Dead) 1-4 for choices don't work. Is it just me? It REALLY annoyed me to not have enough time to choose options. And YES - I am fluent in English. Still nowhere enough of time to choose any options. Also saw dozens of Threads on steam on the first day after launch complaining about the same thing as well as big "reviewers" such as Total Biscuit complaining about it. We NEED more time to do choices, and SHOW US the friggen cursor earlier. Also enable hotkeys 1-4 to make choices. Another thing: No audio slider for Voiceacting, sometimes the audio of soundeffects was far too loud and it overwhelmed the voiceacting, if i didn't have subtitles enabled I wouldn't understand a single thing. Overall I loved the first Episode but the previous mentioned problems really drag it down. Please fix Telltale.

Thanks - Dub

Comments

• I had this problem. In one instance, I actually had the timer run out. Don't remember having the issue in other games. Mostly, it was just because I couldn't find the actual cursor, so I'm not sure the issue is with the actual length of time you have to make a choice (though I guess you could say it is).

In my view, though I did play at 1920 x 1080 (which could have been the reason I struggled spotting the cursor), they could just make the cursor a bit bigger or enable you to use the arrow keys (or w and s) to make choices. 1 - 4 works too. Either way works really.

But yeah, it could just be a symptom of having a high resolution. I'll have to test it on a lower resolution to be sure.

• Lol High Resolution you say? 1080p is pretty much standard stuff dude.

Rob_K posted: »

I had this problem. In one instance, I actually had the timer run out. Don't remember having the issue in other games. Mostly, it was just b

• edited November 2014

Not everyone is used to having the latest resolutions, or is knowledgeable when it comes to what is standard. (My laptop, bought this year and a good one, only goes up to that resolution I believe)

It's high for me anyway, due to my previous telly cutting off the right side of the screen, so I had to set it to a lower one when I was using a Desktop. I'm not sure my PC would have handled better anyway, in all honesty.

bigbaadwolf posted: »

Lol High Resolution you say? 1080p is pretty much standard stuff dude.

• Ok fine, then I am telling you 1080p is not the latest resolution. It has been the standard resolution on PC for a few years now. Modern/high resolutiuons....now that would be 1440p, or 2160p (4K).

Rob_K posted: »

Not everyone is used to having the latest resolutions, or is knowledgeable when it comes to what is standard. (My laptop, bought this year a

• edited November 2014

Well, thanks for the info. It's not like I was saying '1920 x 1080 is high for everyone'. Or well, I certainly didn't mean for it to be taken that way.

It doesn't matter anyway.

Ok fine, then I am telling you 1080p is not the latest resolution. It has been the standard resolution on PC for a few years now. Modern/high resolutiuons....now that would be 1440p, or 2160p (4K).

• Well I'm running the game on dual 980's on maxed resolution obviously averaging 143 fps but the cursor is so delayed and tiny I simply can't make the choice in time even being fluent in the language. I need atleast double the time OR have the choice to use keyboard hotkeys 1-4 like the older games (eg The Walking Dead) to make my choices. It is REALLY annoying to get 50% of your dialogue automatically "silenced" just because the game is too retarded to let you choose in time.

• I thought the same thing! The timer totally seems faster than in past telltale games. So much so that I found I couldn't even read all the dialog choices on quite a few occasions. I hope they'll allow for a bit more time in future episodes, and maybe even patch in some more time with this one. I freaking loved the episode, this is pretty much the only big issue I had with it.

• This is the biggest problem with the game. I don't know how it made it through any testing at all without someone complaining that they couldn't find their damn cursor.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited November 2014

I didn't have a problem with the timer but what was slightly inconvenient was the layout of the dialogue options which caused me to miss a couple of choices that i wanted to use. I got used to the way TWD S2 and TWAU had the options laid out but now they have gone back to TWD season 1 vertical style layout and removed the option to use the number keys to chose your dialogue option which is a bit annoying.

• I didn't have a problem with the timer, but I want the hotkeys back...

• New to the tell tale game thing, but yeah, the choices seem to flash by pretty quick ... some very quick. I can barely get my mouse to the options in time. If they are quick, I can't even get there.

Why no gamepad support on the PC? That would help ... me at least ... as that is how I play my other PC games.

• Pretty sure TWD S2 and TWAU had it laid out like this as well, and I hated it.

OzzyUK posted: »

I didn't have a problem with the timer but what was slightly inconvenient was the layout of the dialogue options which caused me to miss a c

• edited November 2014

There is controller support on PC. I played with a 360 controller and had no problems.

New to the tell tale game thing, but yeah, the choices seem to flash by pretty quick ... some very quick. I can barely get my mouse to the

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

TWAU and TWD S2 had choices that looked like this

Alt text

and i think it would have worked better in TftB.

TWD S1 and TftB look like this

Alt text

but unlike TWD where you could press 1, 2, 3 or 4 to choose what option you wanted that doesn't work in TftB and it's easy to misclick or completely miss the smaller area of text.

Pretty sure TWD S2 and TWAU had it laid out like this as well, and I hated it.

• Agreed on basically all fronts. That being said, I never unintentionally ran out of time, because the game can be paused with the space bar. I'd prefer it if I didn't have to do that, though, and could just choose the option using WASD or the number keys.

• I guess I just gotta figure out how to get to work with this game on my Windows 8.1 box.

The controller works with my other Steam games ... all except this game and Rocksmith. I don't really need it in Rocksmith.

There is controller support on PC. I played with a 360 controller and had no problems.

• It works fine for me, guess I just have quick mouse movement. I actually like the smaller timers, it means you make decisions in the moment. Also, you can use spacebar to pause.

• I want the hotkeys back as well, its just easier that way.

• I thought it felt the same as other games.

• edited November 2014

Space is your friend.

Though I admit I miss the hot keys/general keyboard support. Hopefully, this is different for GoT

Oh, and it's annoying the marker is so...invisible at times. Why not make it white/bright blue?

• edited November 2014

Yes,I had this problem a couple of times throughout the episode and it really bothered me. It's nice to know that a lot of people have experienced the same issue, I hope they'll fix it for the next episodes. I know that having a limited amount of time to give an answer adds difficulty and intensity to the adventure but what's the point of it if you don't even have the time to actually understand all the options you have ?

Hotkeys like in the older games (EG The Walking Dead) 1-4 for choices don't work.

There were many times in the game where I couldn't drag the mouse over the answer I wanted to pick in time and I then realized that it was no longer possible to use the numbers to choose an answer which resulted in awkward silences by the character. It really annoyed me!

• Yeah, I had the same problem. The mouse pointer takes some time to reappear, it's distracting.

• well that's why the episode's called Zero Sum. You have to make life or death choices. It's like real life, how you only have a couple seconds to decide your fate. There's nothing wrong with the controls XD.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.