My problem with Tales From The Borderlands.

I wasn't interested in the Borderlands plot to begin with and think the idea of a game based off other games was stupid. The choices seem quick and on the fly in typical TWD S2 Fashion and don't influence the player's personality. You can either be a wimpy bitch or a stuck up arrogant stiff which brings me to my problem with Rhys already the worst protagonist I've played in a video game even the GTA III Mute was more tolerable. He is already given a personality so dialogue options are irrelevant. Other wise I will continue playing but my expectations aren't high even for a Troy Baker fan.

Comments

• edited November 2014

I dont like the normal Borderlands games but I really liked this

• edited November 2014

I get what you're saying, but I still disagree.
    It's true that you can be a "wimpy bitch" or an arrogant snob, but you can also play him as a selfless good friend, or a jokester. The beauty of telltale's games is that you can make your own story and your own character.
    "He is already given a personality so dialogue options are irrelevant" TRUE and FALSE...ish, while it is true that both Rhys and Fiona start out with their own personalities, they're still not complete. While playing the game you develop the story and the characters, by making choices like what dialoge option you want to pick, and just choices in general :)

• So...Your bias from the beginning, okay.

• I´ve never even played the original borderlands so eh...don´t care. It was fantastic to me.

• I'm rather partial to the whole Borderlands franchise... Largely due to a passion for space westerns and the film "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome". However, the change of pace in "Tales from the Borderlands" was fantastic. I loved seeing some of the "civilized" parts of Pandora. Also, the life this game has breathed into the psychotic residents of my favorite little backwater planet is astounding. Since 2009 I've been laying waste to an innumerable amount of babbling crazy people who want to "strip the flesh and salt the wound". Seeing the bandits as having actual personalities (albeit amoral and generally murderous), made Pandora feel much more like a "place" and less like a shooting gallery.

Also, Rhys is fine as he is. What you are doing is choosing who the man will BECOME, not who he currently is at the moment. If you ever take time to play "Borderlands 2" and "Borderlands: The Pre Sequel!", you will see a marked difference between Jack in one, and Handsome Jack in the other. Both have the same base as a person. One is the eventual evolution of the other, thanks to a series of choices Jack himself makes, and several outside events he had absolutely no control over.

But in the end, our choices are what defines us as individuals. So even with a preexisting personality, Rhys can still make choices that change who he is.

And as someone who finished the first chapter last night, I finished off with Rhys being neither a "wimpy bitch" nor a "stuck up prick". I'd even go so far as to say that the Rhys I am playing as is much how I imagine Jack would have been had he not been horribly abused as a child, lost everything he thought he cared for, and then weathered repeated attempts on his life.

And on the whole, I'm really enjoying him as a protagonist.

But hey, what do I know. I'm usually the guy on the good end of a high powered Jakobs revolver, surrounded by the blood of my enemies, and looting the fruits of my labor. My word on what makes a good narrative characters might not sway your opinion very much.

• I really like rhys as a character and protagonist but I can agreed on that your choices only gives a different taste of the same character, but I actually thinks this is true for most proganonists in telltale games up to this point. If you don't like the character the choices won't change your mind but lucky enough telltale are amazing at characters and especially writing.

• Those who were at the demo kept saying that Rhys was arrogant jerk. When I play him, he has the hint of arrogance, but is mostly friendly and loyal to his friends. At the end, I am satisfied with playing him as the protagonist along with Fiona.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.