References within Episode 1

Figured a compilation of pop culture/Borderlands references was in order. I noticed some at different points, though I never played the other games. When Fiona and Vaughn are about to ride into battle with their psycho friend, there's an option for her to say "You're the man now, dog!", a Sean Connery reference. Also, in the beginning where Rhys, Vaughn, and Yvette are planning their heist, I was getting an awful lot of Office Space vibes.

Comments

• edited November 2014

"Fatality." Mortal Kombat reference.

• At the beginning, Vaughn said he wanted to buy a Dahl gun called "Reaver's Edge". Reaver's Edge is a unique Dahl Sniper in Borderlands 1 with above-average stats and zoom.

Wonder why he specified that particular rifle since it's not known to be particularily powerful compared to others. The most logical thing would have been for him to want one of the Legendary Dahl Snipers (Penetrator and Pitchfork from BL1 and BL2, respectively)..

Also several bandits carry powerful Legendary weapons from Borderlands 2 (for some reason). The guy who captured Rhys and Fiona at the beginning uses a Conference Call (Legendary Hyperion shotgun. Famous as one of the best guns of BL2),
    The random Bandit sniping right before Rhys and Vaughn come uses a Skullmasher (Legendary Jakobs Sniper that is in all 3 Borderlands games) and finally near the climax/finale, one random bandit was dual wielding Unkempt Harolds (Legendary Torgue Pistol.widely seen as THE best gun in Borderlands 2.)

I like how they snuck in these references, but they're kinda overdoing it. While there is a miniscule chance of bandits spawning with Legendary guns in the Borderlands games, the chance is SO low that you're likely never to see it even with 1000 hours of gameplay. Feels kinda weird for normal bandits to have such powerful guns (they made a normal worthless, no-named bandit dual wield two of the best guns on the entire planet)....

• 'I feel the need. The need for speed!-Top Gun reference.

• If you load Loader Bot with missiles, when dealing with the rocket launcher on the roof he says "Welcome to Oblivion," I'm not sure if this is a reference, but it sounds like one.

• This might be because I'm new to the series, or because I really don't give that much of a crap about guns, but this isn't a big deal. It's not like you're ever going to be shooting all of those obscure guns in an adventure game like this - the engine that Telltale uses is made for QTEs, not intense FPS action.

MM720 posted: »

At the beginning, Vaughn said he wanted to buy a Dahl gun called "Reaver's Edge". Reaver's Edge is a unique Dahl Sniper in Borderlands 1 wit

• edited November 2014

I used this in the funniest moments thread too. The song War by Edwin star. Does not compute the robot version of Good God Yall.

Alt text

• fiona kreig reference

Sign in to comment in this discussion.