What Do You Think About Green Hell?

So, on a different forum, IMDb to be exact, I heard this interesting thing about Game of Thrones, in my crazy coincidences thread I used it, but in all seriousness, what do you think about this excerpt:

From Game of Thrones novel, "The World of Ice and Fire"

"In the forests south of Yeen, there are said to be apes that dwarf the largest giants, so powerful they can slay elephants with a single blow.

Farther south lie the regions known as the Green Hell, where beasts even more fearsome are said to dwell. There, if the tales are to be trusted, are caverns full of pale white vampire bats who can drain the blood from a man in minutes. Tattooed lizards stalk the jungles, running down their prey and ripping them apart with the long curved claws on their powerful hind legs. Snakes fifty feet long slither through the underbrush, and spotted spiders weave their webs amongst the great trees"

I think the tattooed lizards is a nod to Jurassic Park's Velociraptors, but it can be interpreted differently. I hope the show or books, or even the game can expand upon Green Hell. It would be interesting to hear about an expedition done there. What do you all think?

Comments

• edited November 2014

It would be cool, yes. Though I doubt it'll even come up. In all likelihood we won't see anything outside of the North, Riverlands, King's Landing and possibly the Disputed Lands.

Also, most of the worldbook is written in character, and as such isn't a list of absolute "facts". That last eighth of the book given over to parts unknown is the equivellent of "here be dragons".. though they can't really use that term given there (used to) be dragons all over the place. Fascinating possibilities for future books, and even games, but I can't imagine Telltale's story will feature them.

On the topic.. the Ibbenese are Neanderthals. Huh.

• edited November 2014

Amazing!! Amazing, it would be. Nevertheless, Martin likes to give the reader a onispresent scope of the world he built, only of the 'known world' part that exclude a most fantastic and 'unreal' aspect - fantastic as the Summer Isles and Shadow Lands. Or possibly inhabitated and possibly extintic like the Kingdom of Sarnor and the other three kingdoms the Dothraki destroyed. You see, we usually daydream of seeing Yi Ti or Southoryos as some Westerosi might. Thats the scope he wants us to have: We know Westeros, as well as Jaime or Arya, but we won't ever know feared and doomed lands, and sadly scarce of info and immersivity inside the context of the story... And the only reason is because there ain't no 'real' or physical scope... is just like Martin says regarding minor, very minor characters: characters that had little development, importance and or (catchy or not) lines aren't really characters... (as they lack character).
    There you go, Martin treats (like many writers do, I suppose) his A World of Song of Ice and Fire notes regarding unseenm locations as if those were small vignettes and vague drafts - they weren't writ down = they weren't there. Follow?
    And... Martin, that cunt, he's a radical (well shit) and he won't write What's past Ashaai neither what's past Summer Sea or Yeen's Jurassic Park, he won't and nobody will.

Write your own Green Hell, goddamnit. (jk)

• edited November 2014

No, wait!! How's that? Where did you see it? Neandertals were stupid enough to die from not marching and not having a simple chimp-like military organization... And... they have... a Port City?! They neandertals so that's why Euron jokes about their face? (he did it, didn't he?) It doenst make sense, Ibb has a economy, has society and money... and Llazareens have... sheep... (I assume they are Homo sapiens or something), Llazareens should be fucking chimps, fucking chimps man.

It would be cool, yes. Though I doubt it'll even come up. In all likelihood we won't see anything outside of the North, Riverlands, King's L

• edited November 2014

The way they (and the brindlemen of Sothyros) are described. Short and broad, with large, square teeth, sloped brows, long arms and powerful shoulders. Pretty much an exact match for Neanderthals. And though that human species didn't have our level of intelligence (though that's disputable, I've even heard it argued with some merit that their brains were superior to ours in certain ways, but they lacked our adaptability), they were far from being simple apes. Had they survived into the middle ages somehow I don't think it's inconcievable that they'd have learnt to erect wooden walls, build basic but effective ships, or shape iron (unless I'm mistaken they were working flint and bone well before making contact with homo sapiens). But hey. Dragons. Realism needn't feature, right?

In fact, they're probably supposed to be further seperated from the standard humans of Martin's world than we are from Neanderthals, given they can't reproduce outside of their stock, whilst Neanderthals did.

No, wait!! How's that? Where did you see it? Neandertals were stupid enough to die from not marching and not having a simple chimp-like mili

• Sothyros in a Telltale game? That's pretty much impossible. It's barely talked about in Martin's World though that may be to mask it as a mysterious and unexplored land (because it is) also no POV character ever goes there and I highly doubt we ever will in the books at least I have a feeling it's going to be one of those left behind stories unless maybe in Dreams of Spring we'd go there. I dunno seems impossible but it would be quite cool.

• Maybe Victarion goes there to spend some time with monkeys. :)

Churned posted: »

Sothyros in a Telltale game? That's pretty much impossible. It's barely talked about in Martin's World though that may be to mask it as a my

Sign in to comment in this discussion.