Congratulations, Telltale.

You managed to turn a world with inconsistent tone, blandly quirky characters and horrendous writing into something good.

Thank you for making the first Borderlands experience worth playing.

Comments

• I thought Borderlands 2 had one of the best stories of all time in terms of drama, humor, quirks, and setting.

So, consider yourself not at all in the majority here.

• I see this is your first day at the forums, welcome :p Also, don't you think you're being a little too harsh on the original Borderlands games? :P

• Borderlands was already a great series...

• It's arguable that hating or liking Borderlands 2's writing is a matter of taste and open for disagreement. There are objective problems with it, but it's not self-evidently terrible. That said, if you think Borderlands 2 had "one of the best stories of all time" then you just haven't read/watched/played enough stories.

If Borderlands 2's story ranks among the top 1000 pieces of fiction you've consumed then you may as well throw all of your opinions about story directly into the bin before posting them.

I thought Borderlands 2 had one of the best stories of all time in terms of drama, humor, quirks, and setting. So, consider yourself not at all in the majority here.

• edited November 2014

I'm a a Master of English and part-time teach lit classes.

As for why it's awesome, it's R-RATED STAR WARS!

Evil Empire, plucky rebels, Tatooine meets Fallout, and lots of big dramatic deaths/twists with memorable characters.

If you can't love R-Rated Star Wars, I don't know what planet you're from.

It's arguable that hating or liking Borderlands 2's writing is a matter of taste and open for disagreement. There are objective problems wit

• edited November 2014

Thanks for the welcome!

No, I don't think I'm being too harsh. Borderlands 1 got boring quickly and was pretty sparse, but it got the job done. Borderlands 2 was one of the most grating games I've ever played.

Practically every line in the game carried an implied: "Isn't this funny? Look at how clever this is ~Nudge~ ~Wink~" The game tried so, so hard to make me smile and succeeded a grand total of zero times.

Handsome Jack is obnoxious, and his half-baked backstory is an incredibly contrived way to give the character depth. It deepens him in the most narratively repulsive, superficial way possible.

That's what I think about Borderlands. You might not agree, but my language was as scathing as my actual opinion.

Green613 posted: »

I see this is your first day at the forums, welcome Also, don't you think you're being a little too harsh on the original Borderlands games? :P

• edited November 2014

It's like R-rated Star Wars without any charm. Or interesting characters. Or a well realized world. Or any tone beside blandly cheeky/quirky.

I'm assuming you brought up your master's in English as an attempt to build credibility? Lame. A master's in teaching English as a second language is hardly the same as a master's in English literature. Normally I wouldn't care, but you're using your credentials as a crutch to prop up your argument. It's only fair I kick that crutch out from under you.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and assume that you're being hyperbolic by saying BL2 had one of the greatest stories of all time. But if you insist on its literal meaning--if you insist that Anthony Burch really did craft something that stands up as part of the essential canon of English fiction--then there is zero hope for your taste.

I'm a a Master of English and part-time teach lit classes. As for why it's awesome, it's R-RATED STAR WARS! Evil Empire, plucky rebels

• edited November 2014

YOUR OPINION IS BAD. STOP HAVING OPINIONS RIGHT THIS INSTANT, YOUNG MAN.

• edited November 2014

Well, my Masters in English is propped up by a crap ton of Lit courses. What I'm saying is I know plenty of stories both "high" and "low" culture and I think Borderlands 2 rocks. Your opinion is your own on the depth of the setting, characters, or quality of the humor and I wouldn't try to change it.

I will say, however, I disagree with it and attacking my knowledge of literature doesn't mean squat.

It's like R-rated Star Wars without any charm. Or interesting characters. Or a well realized world. Or any tone beside blandly cheeky/quirky

• I think the Borderlands universe has always been amazing, but its storytelling potential hadn't been completely cracked until now. Great job to Telltale for that purpose, but I wouldn't say this is "the first Borderlands experience worth playing."

Whatever, guess we're all entitled to our opinion. Glad your enjoying the game like the rest of us :D

• Man, TellTale fans really hate Borderlands. I bet it has nothing to do with the fact that it's an FPS and not P&C.

• If I learned anything from telltale fans it is that they will find anything they can to complain about.

Man, TellTale fans really hate Borderlands. I bet it has nothing to do with the fact that it's an FPS and not P&C.

• edited November 2014

The writing's always been weak in Borderands games. In broad strokes the stories were okay, and some small snippets of the dialogue were good. But for the most part it was just a mess of memes. So aye, if people don't like FPS games, loot whoring, and the ground breaking comedy of a little white girl talking gangsta.. there's not a great deal to appeal.

I enjoyed the first game for what it was, but it got boring fast. Didn't even give the second game more than an hour of play.

Man, TellTale fans really hate Borderlands. I bet it has nothing to do with the fact that it's an FPS and not P&C.

• edited November 2014

i really don't understand the hate for borderlands here the first one i can agree had no story at all but the second managed to make me laugh and was an enjoyable game with a solid story and handsome jack is a great villain i really just don't understand it is one of the better fps games out there

Sign in to comment in this discussion.