Near-perfect Telltale episode. Don't know how long that'll last though.

Finally got around playing this and I was blown away. Ended up replaying it 2 more times on the same sitting and didn't end up finding anything wrong except that the whole "two sides of the story" doesn't really matter much and ends up being the same thing in the end.

I give it a 9.7/10 but this is what worries me. I still have doubts about Telltale and I'm unsure if they'll be able to keep the quality consistent(2+ hour long episodes, great writing, great cinematography, etc.) as it seems that their life depended on making this one episode "perfect" in order to get good sales from first impressions. Let's hope GoT next week turns out to be this good too.

Comments

• I think both GoT and Borderlands are both going to turn out great, maybe not a consistent score but still, I have high hopes for both series.

• I have faith in Game of Thrones and Borderlands to be successful. I first became a Telltale fan after Walking Dead, and then went on to love Wolf Among Us, and the recent Borderlands episode, and some of their older stuff too. From my experience, many series have their high points and lows, but I haven't played a single episode that I didn't feel like was worth my time.

It seems likely that if Telltale's quality was going downhill, we'd be able to tell by now. After success with 2 seasons of Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us with darker narratives, I was curious to see how they'd manage the transition back to fun and energetic storytelling. Borderlands didn't disappoint, and Game of Thrones is much more in line the the dark and dramatic plots of their successful series of recent years.

I'm very optimistic about Telltale's schedule for the next few months. They've already won me over with Borderlands, but I won't play Game of Thrones for a while. That's only because I need to catch up with my reading so the games don't give away too much plot (Halfway through Clash of Kings so I've got a long way to go).

• They'll keep it up. They haven't had a bad season yet.

• edited November 2014

"it seems that their life depended on making this one episode "perfect" in order to get good sales from first impressions"

That's what happened with TWAU.

• TWAU had issues, Episode 4 I believe. People felt it wasn't that great. A filler. And the series/season as a whole was great.

• edited November 2014

There will be weak points, no doubt. Maybe even weak Episodes. But the game as a whole will still be good to great.

104 of TWD was pretty weak, so were 201 and 203 in my opinion.

TWAU Episode 4 was also pretty weak.

However, they were still better than 50% of the stuff that is sold nowadays (the Epiodes), and the games as a whole still are at the top ranks of my alltime favourites.

• edited November 2014

I don't know what people disliked about ep4, problem with TWAU was ep2 which was delayed for months because they changed the story, I hope nothing like this happens with TFTB and we get a new ep every month or so.

TomTrev posted: »

TWAU had issues, Episode 4 I believe. People felt it wasn't that great. A filler. And the series/season as a whole was great.

• we get a new ep every month or so.

Weren't you around already for Season 2 and TWAU? If so, you should know that won't happen.

I don't know what people disliked about ep4, problem with TWAU was ep2 which was delayed for months because they changed the story, I hope nothing like this happens with TFTB and we get a new ep every month or so.

• I hope they have learned from their mistakes, I assume they had TFTB already in making for some time and now the people who worked with TWAU and TWD will be assigned to GoT and TFTB.

we get a new ep every month or so. Weren't you around already for Season 2 and TWAU? If so, you should know that won't happen.

• If episode 2 comes out as good as ep 1 I wont have any worries

• There will be weak points, every season has those. But as a game overall? I think Telltale is going to do just fine with these two series.

• that's debatable

They'll keep it up. They haven't had a bad season yet.

• I'm sure it'll last throughout the entire season, sure there will most likely be some parts where we all go "meh" but I think Telltale knows what they're going to do with this season. It might just mean that we would have to wait a little longer for episodes though.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited November 2014

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the 90 minute episode length as that seems more like an deliberate experiment of Telltale's as opposed to some imposed limitation from a heavier workload. Walking Dead Season 2 came after Wolf Among Us and each of those episodes - including the premiere - were consistently a 90 minute experience, so I very much doubt that "having a really good two hour long season premiere to hook people in" was the thought process. Don't forget that it wasn't until Walking Dead 201 that all the following episodes of Wolf also tried out the 90 minute playlength, and I even remember a Telltale staff member saying they decided long ago that, at the time, they though 90 minute episodes were "ideal" for a "one sitting experience."

In other words, it seems that Telltale has genuinely taken our fan feedback regarding episode length into consideration, I'd say. :)

This also kind of ties back in to what I've been saying all along. Back when Wolf Among Us came out, people were mad about the game simply existing as it had the nerve to share the spotlight with Walking Dead. However, the writing quality and Telltale's passion for the source material got people hooked anyways - irregardless of notable writers from Walking Dead Season 1 being absent. ;) Not only did it happen with Wolf Among Us, it currently seems to be happening with Borderlands - a pretty odd choice for Telltale to take on. Of course, us fans can't attest to the quality of future episodes as they aren't out, nor can we yet attest to how Telltale handles the length between episodes for these two new series. However, Borderlands seems to be off to a strong start going off of what we've seen, and there isn't really anything to indicate whether that will change for the better or for the worse.

• Maybe it wasn't 4. I know people were upset over delay. But I know I saw something somewhere over one of the TWAU episodes being a bit lacking in story. Like, it didn't feel important and nothing really happened. o.o

• I think that was Episode 2 of TWAU because I don't remember a huge annoyance with Episode 4. Maybe a minor one.

TomTrev posted: »

Maybe it wasn't 4. I know people were upset over delay. But I know I saw something somewhere over one of the TWAU episodes being a bit lacking in story. Like, it didn't feel important and nothing really happened. o.o

Sign in to comment in this discussion.