Dilemma: To watch GoT or not before the game

edited November 2014 in Game Of Thrones

(PS: Currently binge watching the show, so no dilemma anymore. ;) Left the original post as it was though.)

Pointless topic incoming as well as a rather insignificant dilemma, which no-one can probably help me with. You've been warned! But hopefully it's helpful to other people as I imagine a few others are wondering the same thing.

Anyhow, currently . . . I'm like 240 pages in when it comes to A Game of Thrones. Last night, I found myself with a way to watch GoT Season 1 - 4 before the game releases. I've previously only seen season 1 and haven't, despite numerous attempts, gotten through the first book yet.

So, with the game being based on the show, starting at the end of season 3, I'm wondering if I should stop reading the book right now and binge watch GoT till Tuesday. I do know the major events however, or some of them anyway. I'm not sure watching the show's needed, as while there'll be references and such, I think the game's story will be more or less standalone as is usual for Telltale. But still, I'd like to catch up. (I do realise the books would contain more than the show obviously, too, but there's obviously no chance to finish the books before release. ;) )

If I do stop reading the book, I could give my attention to Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series when not watching GoT as well.

Comments

• edited November 2014

Reading a book especially one that has hundreds of pages takes too many days while watching the TV series only takes a few hours. I think you're better off watching the show because it's faster. Now I'm not saying it's mandatory to watch the series but if you don't want to be spoiled of major events by the game then you should catch up with the TV show. Just my opinion :)

• Wait, there are people who haven't watched GoT?

• edited November 2014

Watch the show definitely. It is faster to watch a show, the game is based off the show, and honestly I find the show better than the books.

• edited November 2014

I would have, but we don't get Sky Atlantic with our provider in the UK, Virgin Media, unfortunately.

Hence why I'm finally glad to be able to watch it without buying the boxsets.

tauer posted: »

Wait, there are people who haven't watched GoT?

• Thanks folks. Like I said, probably a pointless topic.

So, watching the series it is! I can read the Malazan books in between.

• Yep, that's why I want to watch it. :) Mind you, I already know some/all of the major events, but I lack the knowledge of minor details.

Doubt it's needed to watch the show to understand the game, but it's just nice is all, so I'll get all the references.

Jewfreeus posted: »

just thought i would point out if you are gonna watch the show do it now and quick the game is gonna spoil the ending of season 3 and most likely the whole of season 4

• just thought i would point out if you are gonna watch the show do it now and quick the game is gonna spoil the ending of season 3 and most likely the whole of season 4

• One season a day, more or less . . . possible considering I have no life. ;) Then I should be caught up in time.

seanstin posted: »

Reading a book especially one that has hundreds of pages takes too many days while watching the TV series only takes a few hours. I think yo

• edited November 2014

I've heard the shows amazing but I unfortunately don't get HBO so I started to read the books and am currently on the third one. My suggestion to you would be to watch the show since you want to catch up to where the events in the game are talking place, but at the same time to not give up on the books. Even though they follow the same storyline, the books are really great and probably the second best fantasy novel series I've read so far.

• It's based off of the show anyways, which I hear deviates from the books, so you'd probably be better off with the show regardless of how much or how little time you have otherwise.

I personally have not read any of the books and watched very little of the show (around the first six episodes), so I'm only going off of hearsay.

Rob_K posted: »

One season a day, more or less . . . possible considering I have no life. Then I should be caught up in time.

• Watch the show, its awesome, I got some major real life problems and depression and I just rewatched the entire 4 seasons again, picked up many things I didn't notice when I saw the show first time. Its a high quality experience and it let me forget about my real world problems.

• I've watched the first three episodes so far and I've pretty much caught up to the 240 pages I read. Already I've noticed some differences, partly in the ordering of the scenes.

So yeah, I can definitely agree with that.

It's based off of the show anyways, which I hear deviates from the books, so you'd probably be better off with the show regardless of how mu

• Glad to hear that. :) Working my way through the first season for the second time. On episode 4 currently, and already noticed differences between the show and books.

Season 2 is when I'll be entering fresh territory, though I know most/some of the events.

Watch the show, its awesome, I got some major real life problems and depression and I just rewatched the entire 4 seasons again, picked up m

• I didn't.

• I'm halfway through Clash of Kings right now, and don't want the game to spoil the story for me. I probably won't play it until I'm pretty much through with the third book (which I believe seasons 3 and 4 are based off), because I remember reading somewhere that the game was set between the end of season 3 and the end of season 4.

After the episode is released, I'll see if it gives too much away or is mostly made up of subtle references. I'm very eager to play it but would rather experience the story in the books without the games giving anything away.

• edited November 2014

That's correct. Book 3 split into season 3 - 4. Game starts at the end of season 3 and runs until season 5 from what we've heard.

I'd do the same as you and just keep to the books, but . . . I'm not too good at waiting. ;) To be honest though, I've not been that big of a fan of Martin's from a language perspective, however (because sentences feel awkward to read at times). Story and what have you is fine though. So, I'm much happier watching the show currently. The book I've started reading in its place, Gardens of the Moon, has quite a smoother reading experience. For me anyway, from a language perspective.

NiC0_16 posted: »

I'm halfway through Clash of Kings right now, and don't want the game to spoil the story for me. I probably won't play it until I'm pretty m

• I'll just play the game first, and if I really like it I will watch it.

• You should watch the show first, because the game will probably spoil major events.

Charlieh65 posted: »

I'll just play the game first, and if I really like it I will watch it.

• raises hand

I don't watch it on principle, due to it having some pretty major (well, not so much, but still) discrepancies and oversimplifications.

• Good ol' trusty Gifs

Alt text

Alt text

• Feel free to skip all the Denaerys scenes. They're pointless.

• I'll have to check that book out. I'm enjoying the large scale story, detailed world, and unpredictability of Martin's work that makes up for some minor nitpicks. I'd love to watch the show, but I currently don't have an HBO subscription and buying individual seasons can get pretty expensive. I might get around to it, though, with the great things I've heard about GoT and True Detective, as well as Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg's WWII mini series in the works.

Rob_K posted: »

That's correct. Book 3 split into season 3 - 4. Game starts at the end of season 3 and runs until season 5 from what we've heard. I'd do

• If you do give Gardens of the Moon a try, be warned that the author dumps you into the world with little to no exposition, so people do find it hard to get into, which is understandable. But from what I hear, it's very rewarding if you persevere.

NiC0_16 posted: »

I'll have to check that book out. I'm enjoying the large scale story, detailed world, and unpredictability of Martin's work that makes up fo

• What dude?

Feel free to skip all the Denaerys scenes. They're pointless.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.