Elaine's Accent?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    It's funny, but having played the text-only games first, I had to come up with my own accents... and Elaine I always had pinned as having a French accent, this became especially prevalent with MI 2, where she was presently living on a Mardi Gras island.

It seemed to suit the character's personality as well, for some reason, and in my head it fit. When I first heard Elaine with an English accent, it knocked me for six as I wasn't expecting it, and I'm British myself. The voice just didn't seem to fit the attitude, but that's just me.

We all have our ideas about how the characters should sound.
  • edited June 2009
    For the record, I much preferred British Elaine.

But no Earl Boen? At all? Ever? Even in a later episode? Pleeeeease change your minds! Was it a cost thing? Anybody want to pass the hat with me and see if we can't come up with his fee?
  • edited June 2009
    It's funny, but having played the text-only games first, I had to come up with my own accents... and Elaine I always had pinned as having a French accent, this became especially prevalent with MI 2, where she was presently living on a Mardi Gras island.

I can see that, now that you mention it, actually. Though it never came up in my imagination.
    Jake wrote: »
    The woman who played Elaine in CMI is back for Tales. The voice just came in yesterday or the day before, and I was pleased with it. One goal people had for Guybrush and Elaine, now that they are married in continuity, was to at least make it seem like in the time since they were married in Curse, they'd been on some adventures together or... scratch that... just that they'd been living together at all. Their relationship and banter at its core is the same as it ever was, but there has to be some comfort there at this point, or I think Guybrush will just come across as dumb (which he isn't) and Elaine will come off as a harping grouch (which she definitely isn't).

For what it's worth, I had personally always pictured her in my mind sounding basically like a slightly softer Marion Ravenwood from Raiders of the Lost Ark, but after much debate we went with the voice we thought most people would recognize, and the one which matched up with Special Edition.

I think it's an incredibly difficult thing to come up with definitive accents of characters when there's already been a couple of changes and the original two had no voice at all. People's imaginations will have made an accent that they had some experience in, or knew best.

For VagrantWulf it came up as French which was reinforced by Mardi Gras island. For me, personally, it came up as a woman I knew who looked quite similar to the portraits of Elaine in the originals. Funnily, enough, she spoke fairly accentless English (as opposed to CMI's "my daddy has a mercedes, three ponies and a villa in d'Abruzzo" accent) with a tinge of Northern-English, because that's the accent the woman I knew had.

Any decision will disappoint a few people, I can see the Marion Ravenwood thing, too, but I think CMI Elaine was a good choice. :-)
    Kralex wrote: »
    Agreed, she seemed far too crass in Escape From Monkey Island. Which is odd, because I heard the reason they changed her voice was because they found Curse of Monkey Island Elaine too bitchy.

And I don't think it's fair for fans to judge the voice actresses purely on what their characters sounded like in the games. Sounds odd, well I think the scripting for Elaine in CMI was a little too bitchy, so of course it would come out that way, and in EMI it was supposed to be sickeningly lovey-dovey, that was the point.

I'm disappointed by the new LeChuck, as well, but things change, and it's nine years since the last game. Let's all just be thrilled the games being made and the menace of adventure-games has 'retired'. :D

Now lets all stump up some cash to get Hugh Laurie in the series, except not with his annoying House accent. I'm reclaiming HL for Her Majesty :D
  • edited June 2009
    Ooooh!

Hugh Laurie doing a Bertie Wooster accent...... but wouldnt you need Stephen Fry as well for the put downs?
  • edited June 2009
    EwanV wrote: »
    Ooooh!

Hugh Laurie doing a Bertie Wooster accent...... but wouldnt you need Stephen Fry as well for the put downs?

Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and Monkey Island... I think the universe would implode if three things of such greatness crossed paths :P
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and Monkey Island... I think the universe would implode if three things of such greatness crossed paths :P

So true.
  • edited July 2009
    I liked the CMI Elaine and was disappointed when she changed. The actress who played her in EMI is a prolific one who I've heard in many games but I mostly identify her as Grace from Gabriel Knight 3. It was honestly distracting to have to hear her talking as Elaine, because I'd heard her do so many other voices. Plus the British lady's voice is hotter :D
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2009
    One linguistic point of view for the overly-nitpicking, who would question every single anachronism in Monkey Island (this might fill books ;) ):

According to the "colonial lag hypothesis", Guybrush's "American" accent must be considered a far more accurate approximation of the language of the early British settlers than Elaine's supposedly "British" sound, which might not actually have existed in the historic era the game wishes to portray.

Any thoughts on this? :D
  • edited July 2009
    thanatos56 wrote: »
    Sure. And why not give her a completely different accent for every single chapter. Scottish, Spanish, French, German, and then something completely random for the last one like pig latin or something. That won't be distracting at all. :p

Well, Telltale have gone one better than you, and given her alternating cockney and received pronunciation accents, sometimes even in the same line.

Seriously folks, employ British people to do British accents. It saves time and pain.

PS I'm British. I'm sure we could come to some arrangement, Telltale. ;) I'm just saying.
  • edited July 2009
    Seriously folks, employ British people to do British accents. It saves time and pain.

so...vainamoinen, your saying, that british accent was not common in that time and region...and dreamingchristi, according to you it's not "british" at all....ahm, okay, elaine is probably just pretending to be british to distinguish herself from your average pirate.
    there you go...everything solved.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, Telltale have gone one better than you, and given her alternating cockney and received pronunciation accents, sometimes even in the same line.

From what I remember, the actress is Australian, and Australians apparently sound a lot like us brits anyway according to a lot of people I've met around the internet.
  • edited July 2009
    According to the "colonial lag hypothesis", Guybrush's "American" accent must be considered a far more accurate approximation of the language of the early British settlers than Elaine's supposedly "British" sound, which might not actually have existed in the historic era the game wishes to portray.

Weeeell, it's true that the Great Vowel Shift ended later - that long vowels like in 'glass' and 'car' probably didn't exist back then - but to call Guybrush's accent 'a far more accurate approximation...' is kinda misleading - US accents evolved too. :p Nobody knows exactly what people in the ~16th - 17th century sounded like, but nobody* seriously thinks that those accents are still around today. (See Shakespeare / Appalachians myth.)

*with relevant linguistic credentials
  • edited July 2009
    Badwolf wrote: »
    From what I remember, the actress is Australian, and Australians apparently sound a lot like us brits anyway according to a lot of people I've met around the internet.
    I think you've been had! Lol. Although down south they have a more refined accent than we do in sunny Queensland, or so we're lead to believe.
  • edited July 2009
    Right, I've actually done some research now, and the actress is British and not Australian, so I have no idea where I got that idea into my head.
  • edited July 2009
    tmesis wrote: »
    Weeeell, it's true that the Great Vowel Shift ended later - that long vowels like in 'glass' and 'car' probably didn't exist back then - but to call Guybrush's accent 'a far more accurate approximation...' is kinda misleading - US accents evolved too. :p Nobody knows exactly what people in the ~16th - 17th century sounded like, but nobody* seriously thinks that those accents are still around today. (See Shakespeare / Appalachians myth.)

As a linguist, I've been thinking the same thing.
  • edited July 2009
    As a linguist, I've been thinking the same thing.

MI fans with linguistic proclivities ftw!
  • edited July 2009
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Right, I've actually done some research now, and the actress is British and not Australian, so I have no idea where I got that idea into my head.

Bizarre. In which case she has absolutely no excuse.
  • edited July 2009
    Check out my interview with Alexandra Boyd, the voice of Elaine, here!
    http://alternativemagazine.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/interview-in-conversation-with-alexandra-boyd/?preview=true&preview_id=316&preview_nonce=2f04936d75

And on a personal note, I always preferred the British Elaine rather than the more American take on her in Escape From Monkey Island.
    edited July 2009
    tmesis wrote: »

Correct, of course! "Accuracy" is far too strong a word to describe an actual resemblance to modern-day accents. Nonetheless, supposedly, I'd assume that 16th/17th century British people would seem much less appalled at Threepwood's ToMI accent than they would be at Elaine's. That would be the core of the argument. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Correct, of course! "Accuracy" is far too strong a word to describe an actual resemblance to modern-day accents. Nonetheless, supposedly, I'd assume that 16th/17th century British people would seem much less appalled at Threepwood's ToMI accent than they would be at Elaine's. That would be the core of the argument. ;)

I understand the colonial lag hypothesis, but that still seems very hard to beleive, as a Brit. If the colonies kept the original accent longer that the motherland, why do all the colonies sound so different?
    edited July 2009
    I understand the colonial lag hypothesis, but that still seems very hard to beleive, as a Brit. If the colonies kept the original accent longer that the motherland, why do all the colonies sound so different?

Because no language stops changing (apart from the dead ones, but don't think for a second that latin was a dead language!). Different accents evolved naturally, yet it is assumed that they did so at slower pace in colonial situations - that's the colonial lag hypothesis.
  • edited July 2009

It's not about keeping the original accent but about degrees of change. For e.g., while accents in the US and the rest of the UK kept the 'a' short in words like 'grass' (/ɡɹæs/), in the south of England in the 19th century they started saying /ɡɹɑːs/. Quite a big change.

(But I don't necessarily agree with Vainamoinen that modern US is any closer even if it has got shorter vowels!)
  • edited July 2009
    Charity James, an American actress, played Elaine in EFMI. And imo, that's the best Elaine we've seen or heard. CMI and SMI Elaine were written in such a way (soft, romantic, fiery and OTT) that suited Alexandra Boyd (the British actress) more. EFMI was written perfectly for the take on the character James had. Accent is irrelevant. It's all about the writing and the actor/actress. The TMI Elaine so far would work with either actress but I'd have preferred Charity James to make a return. I love the witty chemistry Elaine and Guybrush have in EFMI and TMI. James plays that best.

On a separate note, where's Earl Boen? He IS LeChuck! You can't get more perfect than how he does it! The new actor is ok but if it ain't broke, why fix/replace it? Maybe Earl Boen charges too much or for whatever reason wasn't/isn't available.
  • edited July 2009
    Or Earl Boen is in semi-retirement, and is selective of his projects. I also hear he lives in Hawai'i, which may be a problem.
  • edited July 2009
    Or Earl Boen is in semi-retirement, and is selective of his projects. I also hear he lives in Hawai'i, which may be a problem.

But but but...

He must enjoy playing LeChuck, or he wouldn't get into him nearly so well. Besides, he did SMI SE.

Hawaii, you say? LOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTTT!
  • edited June 2010
    Everytime Alexandra Boyde makes an update status on facebook I can not help but hear Elaine in my mind saying what she writes... Same with Dominic...
  • edited June 2010
    I seem to remember one of the telltale guys saying his ideal voice for Elaine would be kind of like a softer version of Marion Ravenwood from Raiders of the Lost Ark, which would've been painfully perfect. The now 'official' Elaine voice is just too stilted, cold and prissy, it's very disappointing. The voice in Escape was far better.
  • edited June 2010
    Kind of an old thread to bump... but anyway, who cares...

The way Alexandra Boyde played Elaine from Curse is in my opinion better than the way she played Elaine from the special edtions and ToMI... It seems she has almost forgotten the way she played the character in ?1998?/?1999?.
  • edited June 2010
    elzbenz wrote: »
    The way Alexandra Boyde played Elaine from Curse is in my opinion better than the way she played Elaine from the special edtions and ToMI... It seems she has almost forgotten the way she played the character in ?1998?/?1999?.

Curse just had better voice direction, imho. Same goes with Murray. even tho it's the same actor, in TOMI he sounded way off, imo.
  • edited June 2010
    elzbenz wrote: »
    Mataku wrote: »
    Curse just had better voice direction, imho. Same goes with Murray. even tho it's the same actor, in TOMI he sounded way off, imo.

Agree with both.
  • edited June 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    But but but...

He must enjoy playing LeChuck, or he wouldn't get into him nearly so well. Besides, he did SMI SE.

Hawaii, you say? LOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTTT!

hes the monster!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.