Famous insult swordfighting is present or not in tales of MI ?

That is the question.

Insult swordfighting is the famous minigames present in MI1,MI3 (except with MI2). In MI4 it's another insult style.

If it's not present in tales of monkey island it woul be a shame and a bid deception.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I certainly hope so, and I hope its a bigger part of the game than it was in #4...
  • edited June 2009
    They already said that there is sword fighting and insults but no insult-swordfighting.

Maybe insult armwrestling will be back or it will be something completely different.
  • edited June 2009
    You fight like a dairy farmer.
  • edited June 2009
    From the humor in the trailer I would say it would be done well if done.
  • edited June 2009
    Lechuck31 wrote: »
    That is the question.

Insult swordfighting is the famous minigames present in MI1,MI3 (except with MI2). In MI4 it's another insult style.

If it's not present in tales of monkey island it woul be a shame and a bid deception.

Meh, I'd love MI swordfighting, but MI2 clearly proved it's not necessary to make a great MI game. The spit contest and the drinking contest where enough to make me totally happy without swordfighting. Guess it just became a tradition, anyway.
  • edited June 2009
    serweet wrote: »
    You fight like a dairy farmer.

Wie passend! Du kämpfst wie eine Kuh.
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »

Haha!
    In das 3. Spiel, war die Beleidungen die gleichen als in Englisch, oder waren sie 'was anders um auf Deutsch zu reimen?
  • edited June 2009
    Although I love insult sword-fighting, I'd rather not see it used in every game or it just ends up repeating the same jokes. Granted this is the first game in 9 years, but some people will be playing MI for the first time with it and then maybe even playing the previous 4 close together.
  • edited June 2009
    You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee!

...and if they don't implement insult-whatever, then I'm gonna be real disappointed=P
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »

I have no idea what he just said, but I feel strangely insulted.
  • edited June 2009
    I have no idea what he just said, but I feel strangely insulted.

AHAHAH, Guybrush at the player, after Captain Smirk's training!
  • edited June 2009
    Well,
    Mike Stemmle said people try to start insult games but it doesn't seem to turnout the way it should. Its in the Stage Demo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4kr9QP6Mk
  • edited June 2009
    Hahaha, didn't see that one before. Kinda off-topic, but I love the description of the pirates on that island.

"The pirates are kinda trying to preserve their piratey ways even though they cannot actually leave the island, so they've all built a ship together and they take turns seizing it from one another."
  • edited June 2009
    AHAHAH, Guybrush at the player, after Captain Smirk's training!

Wrong! That's from EfMI, when Ozzie insults Guybrush.
  • edited June 2009
    Insult swordfighting is fun, but it's been done. There's no need for more insult swordfighting unless the narrative requires a lot of swordfights.

If they include insult swordfighting in either TMI or a future season of MI, I hope they stay true to the intention behind insult swordfighting in SMI. The idea is not that pirates play these insulting games between themselves (ie. they would never call it insult swordfighting), but it is merely a gameplay mechanic to allow the player to engage in a swordfight without having to change gameplay style. The pirates are actually swordfighting, but the control method is not an awkward button-mashing mini-game like in the two Indy SCUMM games, but instead controlled through dialouge, which both stays within adventure game boundaries and pokes fun at swordplay in movies, where the one with the wittiest remarks always seemed to have the upper hand.
  • edited June 2009
    Bagge wrote: »
    Insult swordfighting is fun, but it's been done. There's no need for more insult swordfighting unless the narrative requires a lot of swordfights.

If they include insult swordfighting in either TMI or a future season of MI, I hope they stay true to the intention behind insult swordfighting in SMI. The idea is not that pirates play these insulting games between themselves (ie. they would never call it insult swordfighting), but it is merely a gameplay mechanic to allow the player to engage in a swordfight without having to change gameplay style. The pirates are actually swordfighting, but the control method is not an awkward button-mashing mini-game like in the two Indy SCUMM games, but instead controlled through dialouge, which both stays within adventure game boundaries and pokes fun at swordplay in movies, where the one with the wittiest remarks always seemed to have the upper hand.

This.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Insult swordfighting does not appear in the first episode, and the designers have said that they won't include it at all unless they can think of something new and interesting to do with it.

I can think of one reference to insult swordfighting in the first episode. It's a funny moment, but not really a big part of the game.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    Insult swordfighting does not appear in the first episode, and the designers have said that they won't include it at all unless they can think of something new and interesting to do with it.

I can think of one reference to insult swordfighting in the first episode. It's a funny moment, but not really a big part of the game.

How about making it into a mini-game, and then insults inbetween 'rounds'?

Just throwing ideas into the open... could be kinda like Sid Meier's Pirates swordfighting, but changed a bit.
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »

I applaud this design philosophy. Insult swordfighting was great in the first game. In the third game, it was still fun, but it was pretty much the identical "puzzle" as the first game. (Frankly, I don't remember EMI well enough to comment on the arm wrestling.)

I think the more fans clamor for their favorites to make a return, the more we risk getting a stale, formulaic game. For instance, how many different professions can we see Stan taking on before his character gets old? How often can Murray pop up before he loses his novelty?

Heck, I'd even be so bold as to say I'd be OK if LeChuck sat one out. After all, the more times Guybrush "kills" him, the more anticlimactic it becomes.

I'd rather the design team spend their time thinking up new and interesting puzzles and plotlines rather than a dozen new insults and comebacks to shoehorn into the game.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, I don't want anything forced or cliche when it comes to Insult Swordfighting. If they come up with some new genius, good for them. If not - see LeChuck's Revenge.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't want anything forced or cliche when it comes to Insult Swordfighting. If they come up with some new genius, good for them. If not - see LeChuck's Revenge.

I think the version in CoMI was a reasonable step forward - we'll see if something similar surfaces.
  • edited June 2009
    I think the version in CoMI was a reasonable step forward - we'll see if something similar surfaces.
    You can only innovate so much without making it too complex and unenjoyable. Where do they go from CMI - haiku insult fighting in the desert?
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Insult sword fighting was fun once, but after that it got a bit stale. If we discover a way to make it fit and have an exciting new twist that fits the story, we'll add it back in, otherwise we'll probably just stick to referencing it.

Also, since I expect that most of you will probably be playing the MI: Special Edition as well, you'll be getting a heavy dose of the best version of Insult Sword Fighting anyway! I really didn't want you guys getting burnt out on it. There is such a thing as too much!
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Also, since I expect that most of you will probably be playing the MI: Special Edition as well, you'll be getting a heavy dose of the best version of Insult Sword Fighting anyway! I really didn't want you guys getting burnt out on it. There is such a thing as too much!

Like Star Wars and chocolate cake. *nods head* :sage:
  • edited June 2009
    The MI:SE is a good point for exclusion - we are getting it again.
  • edited June 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    You can only innovate so much without making it too complex and unenjoyable. Where do they go from CMI - haiku insult fighting in the desert?

Insult swordfighting in another language. With monkeys.

... Wait that's already been done...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.