Physiological response to news of new MI project

Just for fun, I was wondering how other long-time MI fans physically/mentally reacted to the news.

When I first logged into my email and saw the Telltale newsletter entitled "Telltale Making New Monkey Island Games", the first thing that happened is the blood drained out of my face. I'm not kidding; my ears went numb for a sec, and the pit of my stomach did that 'excited' acidic thing.

My mouth fell open and both hands were on my face, and I did a looong blink like I was trying to clear something out of my eyes. Then as it started to sink in, under my breath I started going "oh my god oh my god oh my god", like a freaking little girl. ***Edit: BTW did I mention that I'm in my mid-30's? Yep, pretty pathetic, I know. *** Then I immediately began to think for a sec that maybe I was dreaming or delusional, or maybe I was actually dead, or something really bad was about to happen to me and this was my "concession".

Instead of taking the time to savour this, I started quickly "skimming" all of the information trying to soak up as much as possible, and missed a lot of info on the first pass. I almost peed myself from excitement. I clicked on the "pre-order" link in the email before I had even finished reading it!

I think this is how one would react at having just won the lottery. News of a new MI game and a re-make of SOMI are, for me apparently, almost as good as winning the lottery. Even days later, I'm still wondering if I dreamt the whole thing. Anyone else?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Somebody at another forum I go to posted a link that just read "www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland". I stared at it openmouthed (I don't think I've ever done a literal jawdrop before) for ten seconds or so, clicked the link, and started grinning like an idiot for a long, long while. I'm lucky nobody at work needed to talk to me that afternoon.
  • edited June 2009
    I just kept saying Monkey Island in everything I said. I couldn't think of anything else, and who can blame me, there's nothing better!
    I suppose I was in shock for a few moment aswell, something I've been waiting for for what seems forever, finally arives, and it ended up beign a double whammy, what with the SE of Secret coming too!
  • edited June 2009
    I can't explain it... I was just all over-excited, caged in a state of euphoria!
    Sorry I can't tell you more, I don't remember, I wasn't recording informations 'cause my brain was all concentrated to Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
    Literal jaw dropping and running around like an excited 5 year old for me. :D
  • edited June 2009
    RobD wrote: »
    Literal jaw dropping and running around like an excited 5 year old for me. :D

This. I went crazy with excitement. I tried to read information about the game, but I was just so excited that I wasn't properly taking anything in. I think I filled out the pre-order details faster than I've ever done before.
  • edited June 2009
    This. I went crazy with excitement. I tried to read information about the game, but I was just so excited that I wasn't properly taking anything in. I think I filled out the pre-order details faster than I've ever done before.

Same here. Not the literal running around part -- I was at work -- but I think my feet went a little crazy under my desk. And like you, that was the fasted I'd ever filled out pre-order details for anything.
  • edited June 2009
    My response was, as I stated in another thread, spazzing out in a manner similar to Kermit The Frog. Then rushing to preorder the game. Then finding to my dismay that Paypal had been disabled. A few days later, though, and Paypal was back up, so I resumed my epic preorder-ness.
  • edited June 2009
    Read it somewhere (Don't remember)

Little hesitation till I saw Dave was in the project.... (You can never be so sure about LucasArts bad arts)

Then rushed to the trailer. I fainted while listening to the main theme and when I woke up I had already preordered...

Seems like some kind of conditioning if you ask me.

It didn't really caught me off guard because due to the rumors of "something monkey islandish" in the E3, that where there because of the remake of MK1 actually, I spent most of the last week making theories about what was coming...

The fact that every single one of the possible scenarios we were talking about was lot worse than the truth makes me smile now... (Well, a return of Ron, Tim and Dave was considered, but didn't pass the reality check).
  • edited June 2009
    I woke up with a terrible headache... got up and sat in front of my PC. As usual i checked mixnmojo.com.... ''What is this, a remake of MI one?'' ''Whats this, Telltale continues the adventure?''....... ''OMFG, Monkey Island Monkey Island MOnkey isnald!!!!!!11!!!!''
    In I strange way, I was reminded of the last nine years, of how much i had grown since the last game, of how much my life had changed... and then I thought ''Yhea, I think i'm ready for another one!''
  • edited June 2009
    I remember trying to open Telltale.com, but it said they were reworking the site. No biggie, I though, they do that quite a lot.
    As I were just about to close the window, I saw that you could still proceed to the blog.

I think I stared for a while, thinking it was some weird joke, or even a dream. I was quite tired at the moment.
    Then, as I realized what was happening, a giant smirk appeared on my face. I checked the mirror, knowing that I would surely look like some staring and smiling homicidal maniac.
    It took a few minutes before my face began to relax.

And then I stayed inside, proceded to read everything there was to know about the game, and other peoples reactions.

All this caused my to miss this weeks laundry. So thanks to you Telltale, I smell!
  • edited June 2009
    I'm a fully grown adult man, and I got a little misty. A little tear threatened to escape the corner of my eye. I'm pleased to say I was able to fight it back with a few rapid blinks, but I felt it, I did.

This coming not long after I heard there will be a Beyond Good & Evil 2. It's just... so... *snff*... beautiful.
  • edited June 2009
    i blacked out for a minute
  • edited June 2009
    I think I always felt that there would be another Monkey Island someday, when its potential as a moneymaker was realized again.

But I didn't expect to see it when randomly going to worldofmi.com to check my email. I was very confused, and then I started to smile and chuckle uncontrollably. And then I went into a euphoric/must learn everything that everyone else knows/forum searching mode for the next 5 hours.

And then I called up the one friend I know who played Monkey Island and told him.
  • edited June 2009
    My hand palms started to sweat, and I had a brief case of CAPSLOCKITIS.
  • edited June 2009
    Twas reading about it on Rock Paper Shotgun. First saw the article and thought it was another fan game. Read a bit closer. "Yeah, well. Anyway... hang on. Oh... OH! WAYHAY!!! SoMI remake as well? WHEEEE!"

I then read about the announcement of Left 4 Dead 2. "Great. That makes the £40 spent on L4D recently a waste of money." But then I was restored to a state of euphoria when I found out that Tales of Monkey Island is next month and costs half what Valve want for their trumped up mod. Unfortunately, I soon discovered to my dismay that my current card isn't accepted on the Telltale site.

It was a day of highs and lows.
  • edited June 2009
    When I opened the mail, I was thinking; "Nice! They got the licences for Monkey Island=D ...and now I'm gonna order..." ..and then paypal was down for ttg, so I did it today instead=)

...I've been hammerin' LucasArts for sequels in their own forum, so I'm pretty pleased that someone is making it. Disappointed in LucasArts tho... Still churning out that same old Star Wars and Indiana Jones crap.... Wish they would make a good ol' point'n'click game, like the old days=)
    Monkey Island, Sam&Max, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and all those beauties<3 Yeah, I've played 'em all=P
  • edited June 2009
    I was consumed in the word"WHAT!?" and it was written all over my face and everything I saw !
  • edited June 2009
    I don't normally pre-order games as I see it as a waste of money these days, when the price of a game will drop almost as soon as it's released, but I couldn't wait to give Telltale my money for this project! I did the same thing with the Wallace and Gromit episodes, so I'm wondering if Telltale's site has some sort of subliminal message embedded somewhere, or are they just awesome?

Ps. If anyone from Telltale read this, ask Aardman if you can put a piratey W&G in to ToMI somewhere and I'll sell my house and give you all the proceeds. And my kidneys too. :D
  • edited June 2009
    Shaking. Nausea. Dizziness. Blackouts. Change of underwear.
  • edited June 2009
    My first confrontation with the fact was that I saw a "Tales of Monkey Island" forum segment where the Wallace & Gromit forum should have been. I was blinking stupidly for a few secs, then thought: "So, this is the great thing they were promising for E3. Well... To say these people are f***ing amazing is a gross understatement". Afterwards, I spent most of my sleeping time soaking up information and acted much like a zombie on the following day :D
  • edited June 2009
    I thought its a joke or something else like fan project which will never come out. :)
  • edited June 2009
    like most people...the colour drained from my face and my hands started to shake....could it be true? I thought...even now I'm riddle with excitement (I've just posted in another post about grpahics) and I've had to clear my desktop so I could look at the CMI wallpaper I've had on my PCs for years and years....currently its Puerto Pollo, but I rotate them occasionally.

I can't wait....and I'm 38!!....I feel like a kid all over again
  • edited June 2009
    I had actually been browsing the tt forums when all of a sudden the entire site went down. I just thought it was technical difficulties and didn't think anything of it, so I went to check Gamespot's E3 highlights page instead to see if there was anything new and BAM. Then I jawdropped and was unable to compose a coherent thought for a few minutes. There might have been some flailing, too. :D
  • edited June 2009
    I was checking out Gamespy's Wii section when I happened across the "Guybrush goes episodic" article. I think my jaw may have hit the table it dropped so far.

Then when I found they are FINALLY releasing more MI games, I shouted YEEESSS!! Thankfully I was working in the server room by myself at the time. Now I feel an afterglow, like the first time you have sex. LOL
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I am a very pessimistic young man but this... I was at school, just cocking about - then I go to a Norwegian gaming site and BOOM!
    NEW MONKEY ISLAND!

My classmates said I was in some sort of catatonic state and then I started to whisper oh my God. This was at the very beginning of the day thus resulting in me not caring what happened rest of the day. I was, without any kind of understatement, happy for the very first time in my life. Just happy.

I am still in this state. I read all of your posts, and I just wanted to say;

Friends, finally!:D
  • edited June 2009
    I think that some deep level survival mechanism kicked in shortly after I opened the email. I don't really recall viewing the message - now that I'm looking back at the newsletter I see that I must have hit the hyperlink at the bottom of the message where it said Pre Order Tales of Monkey Island today. It sent me to this web page:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/store/talesofmonkeyisland

Now, as you can see this page is a bit confusing; the next thing that I remember is my eyes looking frantically for the order button. I remember clicking randomly on a few buttons before some neuron transmitter aligned itself properly and for the first time I had clear vision. That's when I saw the Add to Cart button.

I think my jaw dropped when I saw the price of $34.95, I thought it's a crazy price - can't be that low - I would pay $500 for a new installment - but by then the screen has already changed to the checkout page.

From there it was quite easy. I filled the credit card field in 2.4 seconds, went to my email account and refreshed it 20 times in the next minute or so until I saw the confirmation. Then my body let itself relax.

Uri
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, never knew MI meant so much to so many people :-)

I got the news of a friend i'd been out of touch with for a few months, on the 3rd June, and irritatingly he's one of those LucasArts-StarWars fanboys and he got the news before I did :P

I clicked the links and immediately began surfing what images I could find, because since i'm doing history at uni my instincts kicked in telling me to cut through secondary-source guff and just see what it was about. I saw Guybrush looking infinitely improved on MI4, LeChuck looking much more funky than in previous games, and thought "this is it" and for the rest of the day I was spouting MI trivia that I remembered that somehow linked in with just about everything!

I didn't get much of a reaction physically, but I was so excited mentally that I couldn't think straight for a good ten minutes.
  • edited June 2009
    I was actually looking for any news of a new game didnt expect to find any, couldnt believe there was not one game but two a remake and a new game:eek::D:D:D I've not been able to stop thinking about it since I feel like a kid at christmas time so excited cant wait till July the 7th. I pre-ordered as soon as I found out, they didnt need to offer me any extras to get me to pre-order!!
  • edited June 2009
    I stared at the screen for a long time and thought I was dreaming, then I realized I where awake and the news where fully true. Some seconds after that I honestly started to cry, and at the same time I tried to make this thread:
    http://www.milegend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3443
  • edited June 2009
    My reaction to the game being annouced was nothing compared to my reaction to not being able to pre-order the game with paypal.

Serious fury, for about a day.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Same here. Not the literal running around part -- I was at work -- but I think my feet went a little crazy under my desk.

This one is my favorite.
  • edited June 2009
    I didn't find out until tonight! I am not on the email list because I never sign up for email lists...plus I was giving up hope...

But by fate, I saw this website on my faves and said, "Hmm..let's check it out for fun."

AHHHHHH! I am so freaking excited!!!! I am supposed to be paying off my credit card before I get married in december, but it's under $40...
  • edited June 2009
    I had no physical reaction, but I had a real David Tennant moment.

"Wot? ...wot? What. That's impossible."
  • edited June 2009
    I actually considered punching out at work then sitting there for the rest of the day staring at the screen mouth wide open, but project deadlines made short work of that quite fast... :D

np: Tarwater - Captain (Not Given Lightly (Disc 2))
  • edited June 2009
    I saw a trailer for the special edition and constantly repeated "No way.... no way..... NO WAY........ YES!!!!". Then I came to Telltale to see if anyone in the forums had witnessed what I had, only to see the massive Tales splash page. I actually started laughing in a really weird, maniacal way!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.