Mac version?

edited November 2006 in Sam & Max
Will Sam & Max be coming to any other platforms, such as Mac OS X? :-/

Comments

• edited September 2006
    That'd be good. I use a Dell but a Mac laptop would be nice. And not having to use Paralell Desktop. (Why am I saying this?!)
  • edited October 2006
    Yep, running this natively on my 24" iMac would be superb! :p

Any news on this?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    No news on Sam & Max for the Mac right now, but a Mac port for Out from Boneville came out today! More info here.

How well this does will help us evaluate the Mac audience for a Sam & Max game...
  • edited October 2006
    Sam and Macs, ahoy!
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks, Emily :)

I'm just buying a copy of Mac Bones Act 1 now :)

I hope others have done the same to persuade you guys into making native Mac games! :)
  • edited October 2006
    Sam and Macs, ahoy!

you need to sit in the corner for that one :|
  • edited October 2006
    No news on Sam & Max for the Mac right now, but a Mac port for Out from Boneville came out today! More info here.

How well this does will help us evaluate the Mac audience for a Sam & Max game...

I guess you can't directly compare Bone and Sam & Max. The latter is a well-known franchise among Mac users and was a smash-hit on the platform back in the 90's.

Users with a background in Apple's "creative pro" market, most notably artists and designers, might know the Bone comic series. But for Average Joe, Bone is a newcomer.

I'm really glad you brought Out from Boneville to OS X and I immediately bought my copy yesterday. But I'm sure Sam & Max would sell much more copies on the Mac because it's a strong brand and many people played the LA original.

My brother's a good example: He's an avid Mac user like myself and would never touch Windows – even if it's just for playing a game. He isn't sure about getting Bone, but he keeps asking me: "Do you know if this new Sam & Max game is coming out on Mac, I loved the first one from LucasArts".

Just a thought. Keep up the great work. I'll have to leave now. Where's my Bone?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    Oh, of course we know there are different considerations for bringing Sam & Max to Mac, or Bone to Mac. On the flip side, a lot of the indie comic industry are Mac users, and Bone is very well known among that audience, so you could argue that it makes MORE sense to bring Bone to the Mac. ;)

Still, if a bazillion copies of the Mac Out from Boneville sell, it's certainly going to help us justify bringing Sam & Max to the Mac.
  • edited October 2006
    A bazillion? That's a pretty high number :P

Hope it does!
  • edited October 2006
    A bazillion? That's a pretty high number :P

Hope it does!

Because of the superior intellect and artistic excellence of every single Mac user out there, one sold Mac Bone counts as 1000 PC copies. ;)
  • edited October 2006
    Well, let us hope Mac users are paying 1000x the price of PC users to keep the revenue streams in balance.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, if it means anything, I'm involved with the indie sequential art industry, I know what Bone is, and I have a mac. That said I'd rather buy Sam and Max for the Mac, but that's my own preference. I also know several other people who'd probably prefer Bone but from what I've read Sam and Max is the better value (more content overall released about a month apart.)

Plus the Bone demo ran slow as heck on my computer, and halfway through the demo I decided to go get some lunch and by the time I came back the demo had ended. :/
  • edited October 2006
    Well, if it means anything, I'm involved with the indie sequential art industry, I know what Bone is, and I have a mac. That said I'd rather buy Sam and Max for the Mac, but that's my own preference. I also know several other people who'd probably prefer Bone but from what I've read Sam and Max is the better value (more content overall released about a month apart.)

I certainly prefer Sam and Max too. Although I read a few comics, I haven't read bone.. so i'm pretty indifferent to it. But this episodic stuff looks quite affordable, so I'll give it a try if I can find the purchase/download link for the mac version.

(ok, found it. it doesn't seem to be anywhere on your telltale pages, please fix that, you're never going to sell enough bone/mac copies if it's this hard to find! :)

EDIT: Ok, just played the bone demo. And it really isn't my thing, I'm sorry, I won't be buying that --- but please please, get that mac port of sam&max as soon as possible, i'd pre-order it and pay in advance right now if I could :).
  • edited October 2006
    Ok, so I played both bone adventures on my intel mac booting it into windows and it ran perfect.

I ordered gametap last night to run sam and max, but it looks like gametap is not liking my macbook pro :( Anyone find a solution to getting gametap working on an intel mac? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  • edited October 2006
    Ok, so I played both bone adventures on my intel mac booting it into windows and it ran perfect.

I ordered gametap last night to run sam and max, but it looks like gametap is not liking my macbook pro :( Anyone find a solution to getting gametap working on an intel mac? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I was able to run it on my Intel Mac Mini about 5 months ago when I still had Windows on there, so I know it can be done. Does it give you an error or something?
  • edited October 2006
    Oh cool.. I'm glad you got it running. I have a macbook pro, and when I boot up gametap, it basically tries to download the new updates then start, then just hangs.
    Were you using bootcamp or parrallels ? Thanks!
  • edited October 2006
    Oh cool.. I'm glad you got it running. I have a macbook pro, and when I boot up gametap, it basically tries to download the new updates then start, then just hangs.
    Were you using bootcamp or parrallels ? Thanks!

Boot Camp. I'd be surprised if it worked in Parallels (but who knows).
  • edited October 2006
    I'm using boot camp as well.. although I'm using the first version and not the 1.1 update. I'm going to update now and try it.
    When I talked to the gametap support people (who were pretty nice, by the way) they instructed me to get new drivers for my 3d card. But I'm afraid of bricking my windoze install on my macbook.

Thanks for your help and any other ideas would totally be appreciated
  • edited October 2006
    No luck with the 1.1 update. :( Any ideaers?
  • edited October 2006
    No luck with the 1.1 update. :( Any ideaers?

That's probably true about the video card. The Macbook Pro has a Radeon Mobility, right? I'd definitely grab the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI and give it a shot.
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks for the reply..:)
    I will try.. I'm a little afraid of messing up my xp install on my mac..
    But we shall see, and I shall report back :)
  • edited October 2006
    update: looks like the catalyst updater won't installer.. says it doesn't support my system. I'm still trying to come up with a solution
  • edited October 2006
    I used to have a mac. :(
  • edited October 2006
    Ok.. I got it to work!
    So, I did get the new catalyst ati drivers to install just fine, it was just the verfication installer that said it wouldn't work, but they work fine. I also disconnected a few USB peripherals, along with my PCI expresscard. AND I also made sure no other apps were running the background (like steam by valve)

And this seemed to solve my problems. Gametap now runs fine.. I downloaded and started up sam and max last night and everything ran great.. I'm going to play it more tonight when I get home from work :)

YAY! Sam N' Max returns to my mac ;)
  • edited October 2006
    I used to have a mac. :(

Well, now you know what to ask the wizard for
  • edited October 2006
    Ok.. I got it to work!
    So, I did get the new catalyst ati drivers to install just fine, it was just the verfication installer that said it wouldn't work, but they work fine. I also disconnected a few USB peripherals, along with my PCI expresscard. AND I also made sure no other apps were running the background (like steam by valve)

And this seemed to solve my problems. Gametap now runs fine.. I downloaded and started up sam and max last night and everything ran great.. I'm going to play it more tonight when I get home from work :)

YAY! Sam N' Max returns to my mac ;)

Awesome, glad to hear you were able to get it working :)
  • edited October 2006
    No news on Sam & Max for the Mac right now, but a Mac port for Out from Boneville came out today!

While I can appreciate the rationale for this, there seems to be a big flaw with this strategy (aside from the huge non-intersection of Bone and Sam & Max fans). Bone was out for PC for ages before the Mac version was completed, and there was no indication that a Mac version was immanent. I bought Act One and Two for PC and played them on my wife's laptop, but it was a big hassle, as she's using it most of the time. Had I known a Mac version would be out, I'd have waited. Also, although it's been mentioned that it's being considered, there's not even a crossgrade available. (Plus, I've finished the games.) And Bone Act One was really, really short, enough so that there's a joke about it at the beginning of Act Two.

So you're effectively saying that the existence of a Mac port of Sam & Max will depend on, in my case and in the cases of many others I'm sure, me re-buying a too-short game I already own and will probably never play again at full price just to add a stat to the Mac counter in hopes of a future Mac port of Sam & Max. It just doesn't seem realistic.
  • edited October 2006
    Hi, if you want to relase Sam & Max for MAC
    please look that it will have the following
    specification, if possible:
    -Universal Binary
    -minimum G4 800 MHz
    -with 256 MB-RAM (well I have 768 but other manbe not)
    -64 MB grafik card
    (I have a FX5500 with 256 MB, supports quarz extrem, core image, its for pc and has a bios flash, works fine :-)
    - ? HD, well this is no issue
  • edited November 2006
    I'd like to add a voice to the Mac zombie chorus. I have a Windows box, but it's an aging desktop. I'd much rather play it on my shiny Powerbook.

Here's a thought though: while the number of Mac users in general is smaller, you have to remember that on the PC, Telltale has much more competition. A single game on the Mac automatically gets more visibility within the Mac community itself, than it does in the PC community: there are simply less Mac games out there. This is especially relevant for a game based on classic material like Sam & Max, for which word of mouth is an important method of advertising ('hey, remember that crazy Sam & Max game?').

Also, don't focus too much on the "all mac users are creative professionals" idea. Me, I'm a professional programmer who uses a Mac simply because it is the best engineered tool for the job. I don't make music, I'm not a photographer, I'll never make 'home movies' and I can't draw anything on paper beyond stick men. And I know plenty of Mac users just like me.

People like me love Sam & Max, not especially for the comics and the style, but because it challenges the brain and the off-beat-humor gland.

Sam & Macs, yes please!
  • edited November 2006
    Hi,

okay attention this might sound insane:

I haven't looked into what kind of engines you are using yet.

Are you using a crossplatform engine already? If not then it might be an option at a certain point to port the game relevant parts to a crossplatform (win,osx) game engine like unity. Thus you could easily release for both platforms in the future. Obviously this only makes sense depending on your current solution. You could also hire me for doing this or let me do some puzzle/game design work... ;O)

Was it insane? I'm not sure...

Regards,

taumel
  • edited November 2006
    I am not familiar with bone, but I love sam and max, I ll be sure to give a try to a mac port.

Thanks for considering !!!
  • edited November 2006
    Just so Telltale knows, Parallels didn't run Sam and Max (or Bones), most likely due to a lack of 3D support.

Boot Camp runs it perfectly though... :) Gonna try it in Crossweavers now on my intel iMac :)
  • edited November 2006
    Update: Crossweavers installs it fine, but you can't run it. Just pretends to open, but never shows any screens, then it disappears... :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.