Protagonist Speculation. [Spoilers]

So as we now all know.. One of our five protagonists has died, in the first episode none the less.

Does anyone think this character will be replaced at all, to keep up the "five perspectives" in the game? or will we simply continue with four?

Comments

• Well, I think it's safe to say Asher is going to be one of the playable characters. He seems to be important to the story and also our only possible pair of eyes in Essos so far. Gared and Mira are there to stay, I think, being our eyes on the Wall and King's Landing respectively. We seem to be missing a POV in Ironrath now, so that's open to discussion. Could be anyone of the ones left, really, but my bet is on Duncan, seeing how he's the one who knows the secret of the Grove, whatever that turns out to be. And especially if you chose him to be the Sentinel, he may be in the best position to lead the house now, until a propper Lord returns. But it could be anyone else left in Ironrath that could make the next playable character. We'll see. But I'm sure we'll get one.

As for whether or not a fifth protagonist will be introduced to replace the late Ethan- who knows. Could be interesting to get a POV in Dreadfort, the Bolton seat, by way of Ryon. But seeing how the lad's been abducted by none other than Ramsay, it would most likely involve physical and psychological torture of a small child and I doubt even Telltale is willing to go through with that. Unless maybe if Roose Bolton takes him as his ward, a cupbearer or something, similar how Tywin did with Arya in the show. It could make for a very interesting, albeit secondary storyline, allowing us to explore Dreadfort to a degree and interact with Roose, Ramsay, Theon, Lady Walda, possibly even Locke. But It's a long shot, since I don't see Ryon's actions having a major impact on the story of the Forresters. They'll probably just stick to four remaining characters.

• Yeah, Asher is probably part of the "original 5" anyway. I.E Part of the 5 we'd of played as regardless of if Ethan did die or not. Leaving us with 4 "originals". I personally think they would replace ethan, having 6 protagonists over all. I doubt theyd just take a major location out of play just cause they wanted to shock us so easily :P

Well, I think it's safe to say Asher is going to be one of the playable characters. He seems to be important to the story and also our only

• Ryon isn't in dreadfort, thanks the old gods, he's going to be a ward of lord whitehill, also horrible, but infinitely better than being with ramsey.

Asher isn't a completely safe bet, it's 80/20 with Malcolm, considering they'll be together from some point, i'm 100% certain it will be one of the two.

this leaves a fifth character, which can be just about anyone in Ironrath, Duncan does seem the most likely, if i had a choice then i'll go with Talia, Elissa being a close second.

• If I had to guess, Malcolm may make more sense as a playable character in a Telltale game. Asher's characters has been established already so that would leave us with more restricted roleplaying options. On the other hand it has been a couple years since the house's last contact with him so he may have gone through a change of character since then...

• Well. doesn't Asher appear on the main menu after you've finished episode 1? If he does, that pretty much confirms him as the fourth PC. And I imagine that we'll also get to see someone's perspective in Ironrath, since we see Royland and Duncan arguing and Talia and Elissa talking in the "next time on" for episode 2.

• Well we will have to play as someone from Ironrath, or we would not see the scene from the preview of episode 2.

• edited December 2014

Well, in the main menu there was Gared, Mira and Ethan + 2 shadowy figures before I played the episode. After the episode it's Gared, Mira and Asher + 1 shadowy figure, so I guess we will have only 4 protagonists now.

• Talia is Ethan's twin, which may come into play with her chances of becoming a POV.

She has stated that she was taught how to fight and could serve just as easily as the investigator into the North Grove.

Malcolm would be the safer bet though.

• I didn't pay much attention to the silhouette, so this may be wrong, but I think it's someone we haven't even met yet.

• Asher and Maybe Talia or her mother

• edited December 2014

Does anybody believe Rodrik may have survived, the 5th silhouette resembles Rodrik immensely and when he falls under the horse you notice his face becomes scarred, I believe he survives and returns with a scar and also an achievement/trophy for completing a chapter in episode 3 is called "Brothers" and I believe this is referencing Asher and Rodrik possibly honoring or remembering Ethan or saving Ryon, what do you guys reckon, will Rodrik return?

• That could be, I did find it odd when Gared was so sure that Rodrik was dead once that horse fell on him. And considering Asher is not really the lordly type and Ryon's still so young, they might bring Rodrik back. I do hope it's true.

• I was actually excited to play as Gregor or Rodrik as I assumed they would be one of the playable characters prior to release and boy was I wrong, dying in the first 5 minutes... well that's Game of Thrones for ya

kyoten1047 posted: »

That could be, I did find it odd when Gared was so sure that Rodrik was dead once that horse fell on him. And considering Asher is not really the lordly type and Ryon's still so young, they might bring Rodrik back. I do hope it's true.

• edited December 2014

Asher is a safe bet. :) Boot up your game and you'll see he's one you'll play as next episode with mira and gared, as the playable characters are visible on the main menu. There's a silhouette though, so we dont know who the fifth is.

Choombi posted: »

Ryon isn't in dreadfort, thanks the old gods, he's going to be a ward of lord whitehill, also horrible, but infinitely better than being wit

• edited December 2014

yeah, just noticed that, Asher is pretty much confirmed, still no clues on the fifth character though

Rob_K posted: »

Asher is a safe bet. Boot up your game and you'll see he's one you'll play as next episode with mira and gared, as the playable characters are visible on the main menu. There's a silhouette though, so we dont know who the fifth is.

• edited December 2014

You know, it could quite well be we play as him. I don't think that silhouette represents Lady Forrester. Don't think any of the other characters who've been introduced at Ironrath, as we know we'll be there next episode, would fit either, especially as they've received some dialog and such that we've not been able to choose. (Not that it means we can't play as those characters, but it's just that a character who's not done anything yet makes more sense)

Rodrik, however? I don't remember him saying one word. So, in my eyes, he'd be a perfect choice if he somehow managed to survive. I guess it's possible Asher could return during the 2nd episode, so we see what happens in Ironrath, but I honestly doubt it.

The question on my mind though . . . we've seen that Asher has been unveiled as a playable character on the main menu, despite not getting to the episode yet. So, why hasn't the other character been revealed? I can only really assume it's because of spoilers. And Rodrik would certainly be a spoiler.

Sniperw0lf posted: »

I was actually excited to play as Gregor or Rodrik as I assumed they would be one of the playable characters prior to release and boy was I wrong, dying in the first 5 minutes... well that's Game of Thrones for ya

• I think you could be right. You asked this question before and I responded with a lot of doubt, but I've thought about it more and I think you may be onto something. I looked at the menu in the game and that silhouette looks just like Rodrik. That would be pretty cool if they brought back the firstborn. I just hope he's not too injured. That horse could have broke his back and paralyzed him.

• Actually, Ryon is Whitehall's ward, not Ramsey's.

Well, I think it's safe to say Asher is going to be one of the playable characters. He seems to be important to the story and also our only

• You may be onto something here, as in, the Rodrik surviving part, but him managing to walk free is far fetched. I mean, sure, the horse falling on him seemed hardly fatal, but if he did survive that, it's hard to believe the Freys would just forget about him. And there's no way he pulled himself from under that weight without some help. Anyway, during the Red Wedding, the Freys didn't just murder all the Lords, they took a number as captives, so it's safe to say that if Rodrik DID survive, he'd be among those captives. Problem is, there's no way they'd release him if that were the case.

So yeah, I don't really see how Rodrik can come back to Ironrath by himself. He was already injured in combat, remember, and there's no way that horse didn't do any additional damage, plus, it's hard to believe he'd be able to sneak out even if he did somehow manage to stand.

• If he is coming back I don't think the horse would have caused that amount of damage to him. I mean,yes great let's bring the firstborn back! Crippled! Also if that did happen he wouldn't have been able to get out of the battlefield without help. But who knows. I really want to be surprised more just like I was with Ethan's death (not the same way I hope).

I think you could be right. You asked this question before and I responded with a lot of doubt, but I've thought about it more and I think y

• Ryon is actually Whitehill's ward I believe, but this could lend itself to some interesting gameplay. If he was a POV character we'd be able to check out the Whitehill seat and get some backstory. Remember, Asher was exiled because of a relationship he had with Lord Whitehill's daughter. Maybe Ryon can enlist her help, or at least try.

Besides that, it would seem Duncan is a potential POV character, and Asher as well, which could in turn bring us some gore ridden action. My issue here is that it would take quite a long time for Marcus to cross the narrow sea, let alone find Asher. If we see Asher as a POV character next episode I'm guessing it will take place with his sellsword company. He won't be back to Ironwrath for some time.

• edited December 2014

Gaaaah, just ignore this one..

• It would also be cool to have the next POV character be whoever you chose as sentinel. Just a thought.

BenGajus posted: »

Ryon is actually Whitehill's ward I believe, but this could lend itself to some interesting gameplay. If he was a POV character we'd be able

• Great thought. I hope this happens. The way he dies via fallen horse was pretty whack. Let's hope it was for a reason. Where is this silhouette you're seeing?

• Bowen maybe? I dunno, just throwing it out there.

You may be onto something here, as in, the Rodrik surviving part, but him managing to walk free is far fetched. I mean, sure, the horse fall

• At the title screen where it represents the five playable characters through out the series, Gared, Ethan and Mira are clearly seen but two of them are blackened out and after episode one finishes Ethan is missing and replaced by Asher and the fitth figure is still there and blacked out

BenGajus posted: »

Great thought. I hope this happens. The way he dies via fallen horse was pretty whack. Let's hope it was for a reason. Where is this silhouette you're seeing?

• I'd love it to be Rodrik. He's the only Forrester to not have a single line of dialogue in the whole episode.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.