Why did they drop Purcell's cover?

960378_125254_front.jpg
I was rather sad to see that the Secret Of Monkey Island re-release has ditched Purcell's iconic cover art. :(

Comments

• edited June 2009
    ....Hair
  • edited June 2009
    There was a nutcase murderer in New Zealand a year or two back who also chopped a couple of other people with a sword. I can't get him out of my head when I see that new SMI Guybrush...

501408.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    @jp-30
    *lol*

I really don't understand people who like the new look of it, i would prefer the Amiga or VGA version instead. On the other side with this haircut they permanently did add something on the humour side. I mean if this isn't hilarious then i don't know.
  • edited June 2009
    Masquerade wrote: »
    960378_125254_front.jpg
    I was rather sad to see that the Secret Of Monkey Island re-release has ditched Purcell's iconic cover art. :(

LA most likely redid the MI cover to be consisent with the new art direction
  • edited June 2009
    taumel wrote: »
    *lol* Yeah, i really don't understand people who like the new look of it.

Oh, the new hair is silly looking, but it doesn't actually bother me (except that it reminds me of a psychopath).

Like, get over it or flip over to the classic view if it's a dealbreaker.

Mind you, if they remake DOTT and make Hoagie an Emo... :p
  • edited June 2009
    I really feel repulsed by the hair. It's just like it sticks out of the screen and punctures my eye.
    And does Guybrush have 2 foreheads?
  • edited June 2009
    Forget the box... Look how he is IN GAME!

fckhead.jpg

Yikes! :(
  • edited June 2009
    It really looks like Coneheads the game...

Coneheads.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    It really looks like Coneheads the game...

Coneheads.jpg

Oh god, is that movie real!? XD
  • edited June 2009
    I think I'll get over the hairstyle eventually, but regardless, this is just awesome.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition Intro
  • edited June 2009
    splash1 wrote: »

Yes it is.
  • edited June 2009
    I have no real quarrel with Guybrush in-game nor the updated visuals for that matter(the classic game is still there in all of its former glory,) the cover just looks slightly out of place with the Monkey Island themes. Too bright and cheery.

The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    splash1 wrote: »

Not only is that movie real, I saw it and thought it was pretty good.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes apparently guybrush is difficult to draw. Hair is too big. Face is too long.
  • edited June 2009
    He looks like he needs sunglasses and a skateboard. Then again, the original Monkey Island game was released in 1990, so maybe that's what they were going for.

I think it's kind of neat that they kept the layout nearly identical to the original cover.
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush Threepwood has turned into Vanilla Ice lol
Sign in to comment in this discussion.