European community

WamWam
edited June 2009 in Tales of Monkey Island
Hi there !

It's my my first post here, I hope you won't mind because I'll use it to complain a little :)

I think we are a lot to be desapointed because you teased us with Monkey Island coming back, and after Wallace and Gromit we all thought we'd get localised subtitles on the release.
If I understood correctly the game is only planned to be released in english, and we, european players, will have to wait for a full localisation, like you did for the Sam & Max seasons.
By the way we are still waiting for S&M season 2.

This is quite a shame because I think most of us don't really care about localised voices, which are often of lower quality.
You are communicationg a lot about Dominic Armato being in the cast, this is great. But for exemple, in France we got Aladdin's french voice for Guybrush, a kid who didn't know the franchise and kind of ruined the game.

I don't think I am the only one enjoying my movies with English voices and localised subs, and I'd like to do so with my games.

I also don't think I am the only one to hope we won't have to wait until Christmas 2010 to discover TMI in Europe ...

Hope you get to read this message and think about it.

Keep up the good work !

Comments

• edited June 2009
    You know, I know a LOT of European gamers who prefer the original English scripts over any localised one any day.
  • edited June 2009
    Yep, I'm one of them. I just can't play these games in any other language than English
  • edited June 2009
    We Dutch people rarely get localized versions, and when we do, it pretty much is balls anyway. Only exception being Beyond Good & Evil. That one was really a dedicated translation.
  • WamWam
    edited June 2009
    pluizig wrote: »
    You know, I know a LOT of European gamers who prefer the original English scripts over any localised one any day.

I'd be one of them if I were sure I can understand English pirate slang.

What I don't understand is why Telltale goes backwards after Wallace & Gromit where we can actually choose european subtitles.
  • edited June 2009
    pluizig wrote: »

I do at least. In my opinion games, tv series, books etc. lose a lot of their value if they're not original.

You'll learn a lot of English by just listening to it, playing English games and watching tv series.. Consider this a chance to learn instead of a negative thing.. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    Wam wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why Telltale goes backwards after Wallace & Gromit where we can actually choose european subtitles.
    I'm pretty sure that was more Aardman's doing that Telltale's. And even then there were some ugly mistranslations in there (like translating the "tap" setting on the egg whacking gizmo with "Wasserhahn", i.e. "faucet", for the German version...).

Also I'm pretty sure an American game company getting 4 translations together each month is a lot more hassle than having a local distributor do it, and I bet they're under enough pressure without translations already...

np: The Wooden Birds - Choke (Magnolia)
  • edited June 2009
    I think Telltale games to get localised eventually.

E.g. I remember that Sam and Max got a proper European release in a few languages.
    I think people who have tried them usually have mixed comments about the voicework though... it's probably best to get the English ones if you are confident enough with the language.
  • edited June 2009
    lol
  • edited June 2009
    I would love to see a localized version...for canada!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Being french as well, I do kinda agree with you... Even tho i don't need localized subtitles i know a LOT of froggies who are too damn lazy to try and play it in original version.
    On the other hand, dubbing better be REALLY good if you don't want it to spoil it all... And that kinda of good dubbing is becoming way more rare than the 3 headed monkey.
    I think the original voice / localized subtitles solution is great. That's what we had for Day of the Tentacle and i'd bet i learned half of the english i know by playing this game.
  • edited June 2009
    Options and diversity is what it's needed... ;)

To English people... go buy the English version... for French... the French one, and if you are French and just need the English version... go for it! It will be for sale!!

Options is the way to go, always...

I'm Spanish... all media here is translated and dubbed.. except some games, expecially console games. Adventures, back then... CMI, EMI, Gim fandango, Broken Sword, Longest Journey, where excellently dubbed also... and now it's seems we came back to 1990 as publishers seems to go for a cheaper half dubbed, or English voice/Spanish text version...

I want ToMI in Spanish... I want ToMI with voices in Spanish, like the other Monkey games (the ones with voiceovers). But as S&M was not dubbed here I dont expect it to happen... so bought it (only because it's Monkey Island) although it will be English only... but... if later it comes with dubbed voiceover... i'll rebuy it for sure.

Choices... thats what i want...:)

PS. Also... you'll learn a lot of French/German/Spanish/Italian by just listening to it, playing French/German/Spanish/Italian games and watching tv series.. Consider this a chance to learn instead of a negative thing.. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.