74 My Ass!

edited December 2014 in Game Of Thrones

First off all, seriously Telltale... Good work.

Alt text

Now, let's be serious. The episode was pretty good, really well written, tension moments, MATTER CHOICES. But 74 on metacritc? No fucking. I give this episode a solid 8.5... and what you guys think?
( If you guys really want to argue, make a constructive review, okay? )

PS: PCGamesN, what the hell? 50? Fuck you guys -_-
MetroGameCentral... I've never heard of you guys, so... fuck you too.

Comments

• I think it's their way of discouraging anyone except hardcore fans from playing the game, since it's geared toward them. Doesn't work on us Telltale fans though. I'll buy their stuff no matter if they pull a franchise from left field that no one's heard about. I'm confident they'll make a good story.

• edited December 2014

I'm a fan of the book (I have never seen the series) and so far, I see a lot of potential in the game. Play with Ethan ( Ethan ;-; ) was also a chance to see how we can be a diplomat in the world of Game of Thrones, and I loved it.

I think it's their way of discouraging anyone except hardcore fans from playing the game, since it's geared toward them. Doesn't work on us

• I don't get it either. This episode was awesome and this game has so much potential and I can't wait to see where it goes. Maybe they didn't like it as much because it was a very "introductory" episode, even more so than other pilots in other Telltale series.

If the next episodes are as good as I think/hope they will be, then I think that they will be getting 8 and higher. Fingers crossed.

• I agree, I thought the first episode was really well written and was great, especially the ending. I didn't have high expectations since I don't really like the show (I've seen enough to know several of the events going on and the characters), but the game blew me away, it deserves higher than a 74 for sure.

• Because no one expected a point and click, most gamers are gameplay > story. That may explain the reviews.

• Yep!

I agree, I thought the first episode was really well written and was great, especially the ending. I didn't have high expectations since I d

• edited December 2014

Introductory

Nah, I don't think... It's an two-hours episode! ( FROM TELLTALE )

I hope the next episodes maintain the level of the first, do not care if receive another low reviews from these... UGH .-.

I don't get it either. This episode was awesome and this game has so much potential and I can't wait to see where it goes. Maybe they didn't

• Maybe...

Because no one expected a point and click, most gamers are gameplay > story. That may explain the reviews.

• edited December 2014

I personally don't know where people are coming from when they say choices don't matter. It seems to be one of the big criticisms. At least I don't see where people are coming from when it comes to people who've played Telltale's games before anyway, as they should know the drill by now.

But honestly, I've been quite pleased already with callbacks to previous dialog choices/actions in the first episode. The episode 2 preview looks like it changes based on choices too. Minor stuff, but still . . . it matters and feels like things matter more than their previous games.

It's like people expect completely different stories based on choices, even though this is episode 1 of 6. Even if it were episode 5 or 6, it's not very feasible from a workload perspective, especially when the game's episodic (4 - 8 weeks per episode as an estimate) and they're a small studio, and the story would possibly suffer too. I mean, there's a reason why most AAA games and even text-based interactive fiction keeps the same broad story arc, with minor differences here and there.

Sorry anyway for the long'ish post, but I feel people have unrealistic expectations.

• Good reviews should matter though. Even though it is probably far to early to start asking for one, if it doesn't get good reviews Telltale will feel no need to make more Game of Thrones content after this game is done, and I know we will be asking for more by the time the fourth or fifth episodes rolls around :P

It was pretty introductory, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The next episodes are probably gonna speed up the plot in a good way and have lots of action, so I just hope it doesn't get unfair criticism.

VectorXP posted: »

Introductory Nah, I don't think... It's an two-hours episode! ( FROM TELLTALE ) I hope the next episodes maintain the level of the first, do not care if receive another low reviews from these... UGH .-.

• Then explain how TFTB, TWAU, and TWD all got good reviews? I think the reason GoT hasn't gotten the best reviews because in the eyes of some critics the story was too slow in this episode. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Because no one expected a point and click, most gamers are gameplay > story. That may explain the reviews.

• Sorry anyway for the long'ish post, but I feel people have unrealistic expectations.

I totally understand you bro... I wonder what they want from a small company that makes adventures? (No offense to Telltale, because even with adventures, they are extremely well prepared). Telltale, after a long time in the darkness is growing, but this don't mean they are already a AAA producer games! ( They have 190 workers... )

Rob_K posted: »

I personally don't know where people are coming from when they say choices don't matter. It seems to be one of the big criticisms. At least

• edited December 2014

Nah, I don't think... It's an two-hours episode! ( FROM TELLTALE! )

Same answer to you. Slow? Nah, Nah, Nah...

stilted and tedious. ( MetroGames )

They hoped enough action, but this won't happened =) This explain for me, they wanted action. I just finished reading the reviews.

Then explain how TFTB, TWAU, and TWD all got good reviews? I think the reason GoT hasn't gotten the best reviews because in the eyes of some critics the story was too slow in this episode. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

• I didn't think it was slow, but some of the critics might have.

Nah, I don't think... It's an two-hours episode! ( FROM TELLTALE! ) Same answer to you. Slow? Nah, Nah, Nah... stilted and ted

• edited December 2014

Here 14/20
    http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0002/00020186-game-of-thrones-episode-1-iron-from-ice-test.htm#infos

Sous-titres uniquement en anglais pour une série aussi internationale que GoT, il fallait oser, Telltale l'a (encore) fait !

Full english = less points !
    Obligation de repasser son clavier en Qwerty
    Qwerty=less points ! DAMN, IS AN US GAME MAN ,it's logic!

• Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Snow-White posted: »

Here 14/20 http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0002/00020186-game-of-thrones-episode-1-iron-from-ice-test.htm#infos Sous-titres uniquement

• Actually, many gamers pretty much shat on those games. The reviews are great, but I've seen a lot of hate.

Then explain how TFTB, TWAU, and TWD all got good reviews? I think the reason GoT hasn't gotten the best reviews because in the eyes of some critics the story was too slow in this episode. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

• 25 points off just for no key rebindings and the game being only in english? No, that literally makes no sense.

Here 14/20 http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0002/00020186-game-of-thrones-episode-1-iron-from-ice-test.htm#infos Sous-titres uniquement

• As someone who thought that the wolf among as as well as both seasons of the walking dead were the best games of their respective years, so far Game of thrones seems like a middle of the pack game that i wouldn't buy the next episode of if i wasn't a fanboy already. I want to see if it will get better. most of the time when i had to pick an action or choose dialogue, none of the options represented what I wanted to do.
    I felt like nothing i decided to say or choose mattered in this episode. Especially the ending when i barred the gates letting in only ramsey and the white-hill lord! I knew my defenses were weak, but i hadn't a single fucking soldier protecting me. Was there a traitor in my ranks? All of my soldiers must have been owned by ramsey if they all stood by and allowed my portcullis to be raised. I love when unexpected twists happen and people get killed off, but this felt like a big "Fuck you!" from telltale. Despite what choices I make the story is going exactly where they want it to go aside from one or two lines of dialogue from characters referencing past actions.

Of course I'll be buying the next one, but I think 74 is a generous score and is likely only that high because of the reputation of Telltale studious.

• Well, don't buy then ( ? ) '-'

Green613 posted: »

25 points off just for no key rebindings and the game being only in english? No, that literally makes no sense.

• Tell him, not me :P

Well, don't buy then ( ? ) '-'

• Sa ne fait pas du sense de prend des points parce que c'est juste en Anglais. Il va être des traduction par des enthousiastes.

C'est juste un boni ci une jeux Anglaise est traduis dans un autra langue.

• Eh, I'm kind of mixed on this episode. On the one hand it was a good set up with a very well executed and emotional ending, however it felt a bit tedious at times, and I'm usually very patient when it comes to dialog in TV, movies and video games. I'd personally give it an 8.5, but I could see how some people probably didn't like it much.

• Are you surprised? Do not take me wrong, but all Telltale games are based on the conversation... and you probably know that.

dojo32161 posted: »

Eh, I'm kind of mixed on this episode. On the one hand it was a good set up with a very well executed and emotional ending, however it felt

• Yes, I know that. I also wasn't very surprised at the amount of dialog, as I hear the TV show has a lot and the novels apparently go on for paragraphs describing food. But something just kind of rubbed me the wrong way with this. I don't know, something just felt off to me.

Are you surprised? Do not take me wrong, but all Telltale games are based on the conversation... and you probably know that.

• I'm starting to distrust metacritic. I now have to remind myself that what critics say are based on there opinion rather than facts

Sign in to comment in this discussion.