Will it have monkey combat?

Does anyone here actually like monkey combat... *echoes down long hall of emptiness of such a hope *

Comments

• edited June 2009
    oh please god no, not Monkey Kombat. The part that basically killed EMI up to that part for me. Hate that bit and always use a save game to skip it as I don't have the patience for it. Took me weeks to figure out the right combinations for each move when I first did it.
  • edited June 2009
    I know when I think about what if I had a nightmare abou tthis game, that surfaces. That would be the worse possible thing to happen to the game.
  • edited June 2009
    Ak!-chee!-eek!
  • edited June 2009
    No! Nobody!
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Komb-OH GOD NO, never again, such a terrible joke played out way too long. When that was introduced in MI4, I just declared that game self parody.
  • edited June 2009
    Dear God, I hope not. Never again...
  • edited June 2009
    Insult Sword-fighting? Yes.
    The pale imitation that was Monkey-Combat? No thank you :(
  • edited June 2009
    oh please god no, not Monkey Kombat. The part that basically killed EMI up to that part for me. Hate that bit and always use a save game to skip it as I don't have the patience for it. Took me weeks to figure out the right combinations for each move when I first did it.

The same way ! When I played it sometimes (but less than the three first games), I skip with the save game.

It's not I hate this part. It's just too long... So long...
  • edited June 2009
    I like monkey combat. Thought it was awesome and pretty challenging if I rem correct, was so long ago.
  • edited June 2009
    I really hated Monkey Kombat. I think what made it worse though was what they did with the monkey head from Monkey Island in EMI.
  • edited June 2009
    I like monkey combat. Thought it was awesome and pretty challenging if I rem correct, was so long ago.

It's just that... it's not what you want from an adventure game. It's like these games that have annoying action sequences or timed sequences. Maybe that's entertaining in a lot of situations, but when you just sat down to play an adventure game, you really don't want to punch nazis, balance on narrow ledges or indulge in wordgames.
  • edited June 2009
    meretchen wrote: »
    It's just that... it's not what you want from an adventure game. It's like these games that have annoying action sequences or timed sequences. Maybe that's entertaining in a lot of situations, but when you just sat down to play an adventure game, you really don't want to punch nazis, balance on narrow ledges or indulge in wordgames.
    You mean like the ones in practically every Sierra adventure game? :)
  • edited June 2009
    There will be NO monkey combat. This was confirmed in the supper dupper secret private club by HE-WHOSE-NAME-MUST-NOT-BE-UTTERED.

He pinky sweared it, and we promised to spare his life because of it...
  • edited June 2009
    I liked it. *flinches*

Don't worry though; One of the TTG employees—presumably the guy who originally came up with the idea—has stated in the private forum that he's learned his lesson and promises never to put Monkey Kombat in another game.
  • edited June 2009
    There will be NO monkey combat. This was confirmed in the supper dupper secret private club by HE-WHOSE-NAME-MUST-NOT-BE-UTTERED.

He pinky sweared it, and we promised to spare his life because of it...

Oops. Sorry for repeating what you said, gandalfill0.
  • edited June 2009
    Oops. Sorry for repeating what you said, gandalfill0.

No offense taken.

As long as you do not use a white glove my banjo will remain silent.
  • edited June 2009
    From Mike Stemmle himself.
    Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.
  • edited June 2009
    Thank the Monkey Gods for that. I almost died trying to overcome Monkey Combat, that really was the curse of Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2009
    It was funny at the beginning, but then became so terribly long!

I would like banjo duel though.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, as others have said, I though it was quite fun and challenging the first time I played it. It simply does not have any replay value (as it takes quite a while), which is a big contrast with all the stuff in these games, in which you want to spent as much time as you want in the scenery, absorbing the atmosphere of the place.
  • edited June 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Insult Sword-fighting? Yes.
    The pale imitation that was Monkey-Combat? No thank you :(

Amen! :D

Insult Sword-fighting, please!
  • edited June 2009
    I think Monky Kombat was the only part in EMI that I had to use a walkthrough for. In that regard, it was the weakest part of the game.
  • edited June 2009
    I strongly do hope not!
  • edited June 2009
    NOT MONKEY COMBAT!!! That's easily the worst part of any monkey island game!

Insult sword fighting on the other hand, pure genius! I'm sure there will be something of the sort up telltale's sleeves...
  • edited June 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually like monkey combat... *echoes down long hall of emptiness of such a hope *

You actually liked it?

It certainly wasn't my cup of tea. IMO it didn't fit well into the game (maybe one or two fights would have been all right, but it took too much time to learn the moves, time which I would have rather used to solve problems).
  • edited June 2009
    It was fine the first time through but as other people have said the time it takes to learn all the necessary combinations make replaying that part a bit of a chore.
  • edited June 2009
    Monkey Combat is basically Insult Swordfighting without the jokes. Therefore, it must die.
  • jtcjtc
    edited June 2009
    Bump for NO MONKEY KOMBAT! The only thing wrong in the entire Monkey Island saga imo.
  • edited June 2009
    Agreed. It was stupid.
  • edited June 2009
    No.. no no no. At least with insult swordfighting there was logic... monkey combat was like doing a soduku puzzle.. and I sat down to play an adventure game, not do the puzzle section of the sunday paper!
  • edited June 2009
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.....NOOOOOOOOO! This was the very worst part of EMI and such a horrendous crime should never again be committed to a game. Ever.
  • edited June 2009
    :( I heard in a video interview that they couldn't get insult sword fighting right so they decided to use monkey Kombat as a bad joke. Luckily for us it won't take up too much of our time this time because it is in there just as a joke. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2009
    I don't remember ever winning with the monkey combat, I think I just did random stuff until I won the game. Rage inducing. Holy moly it took forever.
  • edited June 2009
    I think in the secret forums it was stated that in ToMI, there would be sword fights, there would be insults, but there would be no insult sword fights.

Too bad, I thought they're A)cool B) not too hard to program and C) MI flavored. (if you get what I'm trying to say.
  • edited June 2009
    Please, NO Monkey Kombat!! Insult swordfight? Absolutly yes!! While insult swordfighting was really funny (I laughed till I bled), Monkey Kombat was jst plain boring....
  • edited June 2009
    i personally enjoyed monkey combat

funny thing is i hated monkey combat the first time i played it but i recently replayed the game and had an absolute blast playing through the monkey combat part
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited June 2009
    everybody, who suggests to get Monkey C. into the game again should get keelhauled
  • edited June 2009
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Insult Sword-fighting? Yes.(

Man, I think this is one of the reasons why I love the series so much. All I remember is the "You fight like a dairy farmer..."

Whatever that means.
  • edited June 2009
    This has already been answered in one of the Q&A's:

Q: I have heard several Telltale writers say that "Insult Swordfighting" will not be making a return in TMI. Could this merely be cover for the inclusion of another type of insult game? As long as it is NOT Monkey Kombat, I will be happy. I can see how "Insult Swordfighting/Arm Wresting/Dart Throwing/etc" might not fit into the story that Telltale is telling, though.

A: There will NOT... I repeat NOT be any Monkey Kombat in the game.

There will also NOT be any God of War style "Mini Games" involving monkeys... just in case you were wondering.

(Source: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9218)
  • edited June 2009
    EMI was great until the monkey kombat point.

and a week later when I finally managed to somehow get over that part, I had to suffer more at the final LeChuck confrontation at the end of the game. gimme a break

and i dont like the robot monkey concept. vending machines, elevators, underground metal tunnels, and other funny anachronisms is one thing, but you know it doesnt feel very piratey anymore when they have a giant robot mech outta nowhere. its crossed the line.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.