Your thoughts on House Forrester?

What do you think about House Forrester?

They seem like a weak house, but you can argue that they are weakened due to most of their soldiers have joined Robb Stark's campaign against the Lannisters and are only just rebuilding their army. They don't seem to be particularly wealthy but they hold importance for being craftsmen and controlling much of the Ironwoods. They can't call for their liege lords aid as the Starks and Glovers are weakened themselves and thus they are threaten by the Whitehills and their liege lord House Bolton. All in all, they are in a very dangerous position right now.

Yet I can't help but feel attached to the family and wanting to ensure the House survival.

Comments

• edited December 2014

Pretty much the whole North is in a weak state right now. Robb took a huge amount of men with him to war and almost none of them returned. At the moment (where the game is I mean) even the Bolton men haven't yet returned since Roose is stuck south of the Neck because of the ironborn controlling the Moat Cailin. And when you add there that Forresters are a very minor house to begin with - yes they are extremely weak at the moment.

Oh, and as Erik kinda made clear, winter is coming. And that means hard times.

• edited December 2014

They have a very charismatic and likeable family which will instantly make them popular.

A head of house who was honorable, a good fighter/leader and loved by his people/respected by others as high up as Robb Stark and Tyrion Lannister.

A Wife who is clearly loving and kind yet stern and heavily committed to her family.

Rodrik. son who from what we know was an excellent fighter and a serious person, most likely would have been a good head of house

Ashur while we don't know yet is obviously a fighter and fiercely protective of his family. Will most likely be a bad ass

The twins Ethan and Talia. One plays the lute the other sings. Talia is sweet as can be and Ethan, no matter how you play him is regarded as a nice and intelligent lad.

The youngest boy is innocent and playful

Mira can either be very loyal to her family and brave or clever and willing to play "the game". Need to see more of her but overall she seems kind and smart.

So yeah we don't really have any bad seeds at the moment. They are just such a likeable family.

As for their position, it is a bit confusing. For one i don't see mention of the Glovers anywhere which makes me wonder if canon was changed and they are simply sworn to House Stark now. They are obviously a minor house but their Ironwood is apparently sought after throughout the entire 7 seven kingdoms which would make you think they would be richer and maybe they are but spent much during the War of 5 kings. However to be able to right in the Vanguard for Robb Stark's invasion of the Westerlands and having a daughter be hand maiden to a Tyrell daughter clearly shows they are not insignificant. They are not in a good position at the moment and that's all i can say about that we need to see more.

Overall i like them.

• Well said. :)

They are certainly a very interesting house.

They have a very charismatic and likeable family which will instantly make them popular. A head of house who was honorable, a good fighte

• edited December 2014

They are a carbon copy of the Starks. Whether I like this or not, I haven't figured out yet. It would be interesting to have more original characters make up the house though.

• Beside having a similar amount of family member, I don't really see the Forresters being copy of the Starks. They situation is different from the Starks. Can you elaborate further?

sprocket23 posted: »

They are a carbon copy of the Starks. Whether I like this or not, I haven't figured out yet. It would be interesting to have more original characters make up the house though.

• Kinda makes sense to me because a lot of people liked the Starks but they can't exactly play as them in a spinoff of the tv series. Of course TTG could've been a little more subtle about it.

• So far a lot of them seem like stark clones, however bits of them shone through, I'm excited to learn more

• I still don't see them being copies of the Starks... Sure, I can understand them saying that about Elissa and Gregor, but the rest seem fairly different. Sure, both Asher and Gared are exiled but they both seem pretty different to Jon Snow. Ethan seemed kinda like Bran, but much more interesting. Mira might be considered kinda Sansa-ish, except that she's in an even less important position but still seems to be able to manipulate the other players somewhat. Talia is more Myrcella-ish than anything else and, unlike Rickon, Ryon seems to be, for the most part, not as affected psychologically by the terrible things around him.

• I like Ethan better than Bran, because he has to actively rule his land.

That1Guy posted: »

I still don't see them being copies of the Starks... Sure, I can understand them saying that about Elissa and Gregor, but the rest seem fair

• They've been much weakened by losing three lords in a row but they have a strong will. The mother is pretty much Catelyn Stark and she was pretty strong.

• Iron from Ice

KCohere posted: »

They've been much weakened by losing three lords in a row but they have a strong will. The mother is pretty much Catelyn Stark and she was pretty strong.

• They're a lot like the Starks but I don't mind that. It's like being able to play as the Starks, which is fine with me.

• I really like House Forrester. I hope that we'll see the retaking of Deepwood Motte in a later season (probably as Asher or Royland killing some squids?) and can help Stannis. Well, if the HBO series allows it.

• edited December 2014

The stern, honourable, and goodly lord.
    His wife, a dutiful and proper southron lady who has adopted the North.
    His eldest son, a dashing, well regarded soldier full of promise, cut short.
    His eldest daughter, a gentle and ladylike girl plunged into the politics of King's Landing.
    His third son, a child forced into a position of authority beyond their capabilities, "killed".
    His fourth son, a sweet child with a dark side, confused and angered by the tragedies befalling the family, removed from his home and taken to a hostile environment.

The only characters that don't match up are Arya/Talia, and Jon/Asher, though the latter has a few slight parallels with Gared.

I'd agree with sprocket, though. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time it does feel a little lazy on the writers' part. But even then, the similarities could be intentional, to throw us off, present something familiar before they go in another direction entirely. Here's hoping.

Beside having a similar amount of family member, I don't really see the Forresters being copy of the Starks. They situation is different from the Starks. Can you elaborate further?

• The Forresters are a big family so there's more people to be killed.

The stern, honourable, and goodly lord. His wife, a dutiful and proper southron lady who has adopted the North. His eldest son, a dashing,

• Overall I like them too.

However there are 2 things that confuse me a bit. Why was Asher banned? Why was Lord Gregor so very specific that I should only speak about the North Grove to Duncan - not even his wife? There are secrets and I'm not sure what to make out of them.

They have a very charismatic and likeable family which will instantly make them popular. A head of house who was honorable, a good fighte

• This. Yes they are kind of a copy, but I like it. And yeah Gared=Jon in a lot of ways.

The stern, honourable, and goodly lord. His wife, a dutiful and proper southron lady who has adopted the North. His eldest son, a dashing,

• edited December 2014

I would have liked to see the main leads have a few less obvious parallels with the Starks, but I'll be satisfied if something divergent and interesting can still be done with them.

Disappointing that Ethan had to die so quickly though. The setup he had with making harsh political decisions juxtaposed against the innocent relationships he had with his siblings would have been an interesting dynamic to explore. I haven't had much time to get invested in anyone else.

• They pulled a Ned Stark on us. I dont know about anyone else but I screamed when that happened eventhough I knew something big was going to happen from reading the boards.

Mikejames posted: »

I would have liked to see the main leads have a few less obvious parallels with the Starks, but I'll be satisfied if something divergent and

• Well, I certainly didn't expect it given the scene's context. But Ned still had his time to feel fleshed out, with clear build-up of the moral stances and relationships that led him to his end. Ethan made me feel like the most unique character was lost for the sake of shock value before he had a chance to reach that level of impact.

But again, it's only the first episode, Can't judge the entire cast before we've even met them all.

KCohere posted: »

They pulled a Ned Stark on us. I dont know about anyone else but I screamed when that happened eventhough I knew something big was going to happen from reading the boards.

• Asher was exiled because he fell in love with lord Ludd Whitehills daughter and there would have been a conflict between Forresters and Whitehills if Gregor had not exiled Asher. About the grove I have no idea but perhaps Gregor and Duncan were the only ones to know it's real.

Overall I like them too. However there are 2 things that confuse me a bit. Why was Asher banned? Why was Lord Gregor so very specific tha

• I thought it would have been something more serious regarding the harse punishment. Instead it was just love. Well, that is an opportunity lost to make peace. Thanks for explaining.

Asher was exiled because he fell in love with lord Ludd Whitehills daughter and there would have been a conflict between Forresters and Whit

• edited December 2014

Like many have already mentioned, they are basically Starks 2.0

But that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

As for the fate of the entire House, I think it will fall honestly. Just a hunch that Ironrath will be burned down (possibly let Ramsay have a line like: 'I thought this was inflameable? Trolololol'), and the surviving household is either captured or somehow manages to escape and is scattered throughout the North.

• They are basically a copy of the Starks, I just hope that their characters can develop in different way so they don't become carbon copies of them :/

By the end of the season I think Ironrath is gonna fall in a huge battle between the Whitehills and Forresters. Talia, Ryon, and Asher are probs gonna be the only member of the House that are gonna survive.

• Everything Simba said. I feel like they almost being written as a borderline major house on level with the Boltons and Glovers. A super rich family that lost it's entire army. Because apparently their wood is nice(lol), and the Glovers are never mentioned. Yet, Gregor is decidedly NOT at the actual reception. And it beggars belief that they are this major force, and rivaled by another major force, who is is still subservient to the Boltons, and neither were mentioned on screen.

I think it just boils down to a slight tone thing they'll get a bit better at. They sorta wanna write a family that is really close to what's going on, but also wanna write a small family. So I'm just assuming they are an ancient and noble family, reliable bannermen to the Glovers and Starks and close friends with the Starks so they speak so highly of them and their codex entries reference them directly.

That their Ironwood is great but not instrumental, so while no one will shed a tear for them, the wood gives them disproportionate punching power. That way they can be small, but still do stuff.

They are highly similar to the Starks, and that doesn't bother me. It's an easy way to prop up a plot with multiple characters, and they are also supposed to be good guys from the North. So while you can say they didn't go out on a limb, it'd be hard to go out of their way with this particular plot.

I think on paper they're fucked. Their lord is held hostage, they have almost no soldiers. They have an enemy garrison in the castle. And their savior is an impulsive hothead. Their leigelords are of no help, and the Boltons are aligned with their rivals. On paper, it sounds like they are very dead. But I imagine that due to the slightly more optimistic nature of the Telltale writers, and the fact that their story is small enough to end on a positive note without affecting anything. Iron from Ice. A bunch of them will get killed off, but all will not be lost.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.