Favourite puzzle from the previous MI games?

I have to say that, despite the twisted logic of it all, my fav is actually the Monkey Wrench puzzle from MI2!

Depite it being very frustrating, I probably got more satisfaction from solving that one puzzle alone after being stuck for weeks! (can't remember if it was a try-everything-on-everything affair or a moment of genius, but I like to think the latter!)

Whats yours?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I can't single out a singe puzzle since everyone of the games has been so mind-blowingly good.

I used to love saying "the skeleton arm wont work with that" to everyone who was having trouble doing anything (and then having to explain what it was I was talking about!!)
  • edited June 2009
    Probably the spitting competition or finding the ship's headpiece, both from MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    Obvious. MI1, when you're in the water. The most obvious solution is sometimes the most overlooked.
  • edited June 2009
    I loved all of the puzzles that I ached my brain to figure out. Those were the best. I enjoyed the puzzles in MI for their comedic payoff. The cannon puzzle on the ship for instance.

My favorite puzzle in MI2 was getting Lechucks beard in the elevator/making of the voodoo doll.
  • edited June 2009
    Definitely getting the golden tooth in CMI with the bubble gum. Man, that took me so long
  • edited June 2009
    The singing pirate puzzle in CMI. Had me laughing out loud all the way through!
  • edited June 2009
    Escape from the snake's stomach in CMI.

That, and when Guybrush PICKED UP A LARGE DOG AND PUT IT IN HIS POCKET in MI2. Talk about Hammerspace!
  • edited June 2009
    The monkey on the water pump to stop the waterfall... oh wait, you said favourite puzzle... nevermind then :p
  • edited June 2009
    The Diving Contest from MI4

1/ Get the coffee to
    2/ Stay awake through the timeshare presentation to get the brochure
    3/ Blackmail the first judge with the picture of him and his girlfriend
    4/ Fail at the pirate retraining school to get the dunces cap
    5/ Wear the dunces cap to minimise splash to get the 2nd judges vote
    6/ Do an exact copy of Marco de Pollo's dives to get the 3rd judges vote
    7/ Add bagel crumbs from starbuccaneers to Marco's seal oil to
    8/ Get Marco attacked by seagulls, to
    9/ Finally win the contest!
  • edited June 2009
    i loved puzzles on board the ship while u travel to monkey island in Monkey 1
  • edited June 2009
    definately bubblegum puzzle-typical MI, thinking you've nailed it then finding out theres more to do-think i searched the whole island looking for that bubblegum balloon before checking the mud =s i miss the satisfaction you get from working out these type of puzzles
  • edited June 2009
    Spitting contest! :D
  • edited June 2009
    Grulien wrote: »
    Spitting contest! :D

Oh, that is so cliche :D
  • edited June 2009
    EwanV wrote: »

1/ Get the coffee to

Please add spoiler tags.
  • edited June 2009
    Marduk wrote: »
    Please add spoiler tags.

you've gotta be a fooool to read a 'Favourite puzzle from Monkey Island' thread if you hadn't played the games. clearly spoilers
  • edited June 2009
    EwanV wrote: »

1/ Get the coffee to

That puzzle took me soo long to do and wasnt a favourite

My fave was monkey komb...ok ok i cant lie that bad. My favourite puzzle was probably the Goodsoup family crypt, i thought it was class
  • edited June 2009
    I love the puzzle from the end of Monkey Island 2, running around trying to make the voodoo doll.

Oh, and also I always liked the puzzle in SMI with the grog mugs. Oh! OH! And the plank and the seagull.

Aaaah, and the secret code to get into the club in MI2.

So many. That special edition better come out soon so I can replay it.
  • edited June 2009
    I like the Rum Rogers Jr-puzzle from MI2.
  • edited June 2009
    def something from MI3, which i think had the most stimulating puzzles. the goldtooth is def a favourite.
  • edited June 2009
    MI3 gold tooth was genius.

But the Hand Signals one from MI2 on Phatt Island was pretty good.
  • edited June 2009
    MI1: insult swordfighting
    MI2: making lechuck's voodoo doll
    CMI: either the banjo duel or the goodsoup upstairs folding bed
    EfMI: nothing really memorable stands out, but i think i remember enjoying the swamps of time puzzle
    ToMI: when you have to
    spoiler
    with the
    spoiler spoiler spoiler
    in order to get the
    spoiler spoiler
    to
    spoiler
  • edited June 2009
    1. The Grog puzzle from MI1. The whole idea of having somekind of time limit was cool.
    2. The Underwater thing
    3. MI2 spitting contest
    4. Pretty much anything from MI3.
  • edited June 2009
    I liked that one on Monkey Island 2, where Guybrush parents appear after fell off the tree and start singing that bones-connected song that you need later to exit from that corridor maze.

It's funny when Guybrush says "Seems important... I'll write it down" :)
  • edited June 2009
    MI1: Underwater puzzle (best of the series, from my point of view)
    MI2: Stan's Coffin (Not mind challenging, but incredibly funny)
    MI3: Swordfighting (Best swordfight sequence of the series)
    MI4: The Mug puzzle (with the caricature artist) - Hard but satisfying
  • edited June 2009
    I like the puzzle where Guybrush is hanging over the pool of acid in LeChuck's fortress. I usually fail it on purpose first, because I find the dialogue hilarious when Elaine asks how Guybrush is hanging there if he died in a acid pit.

I also liked the Rum Rogers and Rapp Scallion puzzles and making of Largo voodoo doll.
  • edited June 2009
    MI2: Stan's Coffin (Not mind challenging, but incredibly funny)

my favorite is to ring the bell after you nail him into the coffin :D

he's like uhhh... BE RIGHT THERE
  • edited June 2009
    I can't remember any FAVORITE puzzle, but I can certainly remember some that kept me frustrated for a long time.
    1. Getting the navigator head in SMI - I wasn't able to solve this one for six or seven years (that was only half my fault, though. The CD was lost for a good chunk of that time).
    2. Getting to Rum Roger Jr.'s house - the problem actually being that I didn't notice the path to the pump rather than the monkey wrench puzzle.
    3. Figuring out how to get the near-grog from Kate.
    4. Getting that DAMN GOLD TOOTH - ahem...yeah. I was getting pretty sick of Plunder Island at that point.

Although, now that I think about it, I really liked the puzzle of simply getting Captain Rottingham out of the barber chair. It's just so satisfying when an obnoxious character gets what's coming to them.
  • edited June 2009
    The navigator head is Secret
    The door puzzle in Revenge with the fingers. That thing took me forever...
    And pretty much everything in Curse from the sword fighting to the carnival.
  • edited June 2009
    Jexxer wrote: »
    Figuring out how to get the near-grog from Kate

The only puzzle of the 4 games I had to cheat on to solve :(
  • edited June 2009
    The thing is with most of the trickier puzzles in MI games is that you know what it is you need to acheive (e.g. getting the gold tooth etc) and then just have to figure a way how to do it.

The only puzzles I really hate is where you have no idea what to do next.
  • edited June 2009
    SMI: Escaping the cannibal's prison; The rootbeer.
    MI2: Spitting contest; Making voodoo doll of LeChuck.
    CMI: Blondebeard and the Devil Chicken; Making the volcano "throw up".
    EMI: didnt like the game so... none in particular.
  • edited June 2009
    SMI: the puzzles on Monkey island
    MILR:If this is three... I just loved the different hand positions, took a while to get it
    CMI: the contests with Van Helgen and McMutton
    EMI: can't remember a good one.
  • Crimnor wrote: »
    Definitely getting the golden tooth in CMI with the bubble gum. Man, that took me so long

seconded!!!! :D

and...
    SMI: Getting past the piranah poodles!, the gunpowder, boulders and when guybrush falls off the cliff!!
    MI2: spit contest obviously, bringing the map together... The head bone's connected to the....
    MI3: lamplight with sugar water and fireflies and "five of a kind!!" (stuck on that one for aaages!)
    EMI: Mists O Time Marsh. Hated monkey kombat and Stan's voice / limited role in this one
  • edited June 2009
    What's worse than the gold tooth puzzle in MI3? The gold tooth puzzle in MI3: Mega Monkey mode. Made me rage something terrible.
  • Duate wrote: »
    my favorite is to ring the bell after you nail him into the coffin :D

he's like uhhh... BE RIGHT THERE

and then opening up the coffin in monkey island 3!
  • edited June 2009
    What's worse than the gold tooth puzzle in MI3? The gold tooth puzzle in MI3: Mega Monkey mode. Made me rage something terrible.

Does anyone actually play the versions which have less puzzles? The thought that I would like to skip some puzzles has never came to my mind.
  • edited June 2009
    As much as I disliked EMI, the swamp/time puzzle was pretty damned awesome, IIRC.
  • edited June 2009
    It's not so much a puzzle, but the first time you try to climb the tree in MI2, causing the oar to break and give Guybrush an incredible musical concussion. I still have a save state so I can go back and watch that at any time.
  • edited June 2009
    The spitting contest was mint.
    I dunno why, but i've had dreams of being on that island and entered into the spitting contest. But I spit too well and people don't like it cos I keep beating them.
    Any psychiatrists in the room? :p

The whole Goodsoup thing was great, for me. Pretending to be a relative and then
    "dying"
    was great.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.