Turn off dialogue timer

Is there a way to turn off the Dialogue timer? I can understand them putting it in to put pressure on the player and move things along, but I've started playing episode 1 in "couch coop" mode with my wife. It's working "OK" with me running the controller and both of us reading and then saying the dialogue choice we'd choose, but it would be a more enjoyable experience if we could take our time and discuss the options before choosing.

Comments

• No, you can't turn it off. :/

• Timer is the point of making the choice here.

• No there's no way of turning it off, which is good thing. You need the timer, you can't just sit there and discuss a choice, you need to make a quick decision, that's the point of it.

• You can Pause the game during conversations.

• It'd be pretty awkward if you didn't say anything for a while while you're moving and some characters are having a conversation with you and you say nothing, then you just randomly say something and the other guy(s) continue(s) the conversation like nothing happened.

• Well in mass effect there is no dialogue timer, for every dialogue choice the time in the game is stop wile the two character are looking at each other, waiting that you make a decision.

dojo32161 posted: »

It'd be pretty awkward if you didn't say anything for a while while you're moving and some characters are having a conversation with you and

• Gotta speed read mate comes with book learnin and shit.

• I would say the same

derella posted: »

You can Pause the game during conversations.

• True, however characters also talk while the timer is running out in this game, though if they wanted to include a feature to turn the timer off, I suppose they could just shut the characters up. But it would still be a bit weird when the characters are walking and talking (I.e. Gared and Bowen's conversation while getting wine).

JMOREL posted: »

Well in mass effect there is no dialogue timer, for every dialogue choice the time in the game is stop wile the two character are looking at each other, waiting that you make a decision.

• edited December 2014

Yes but those games are made by two different game designer teams. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are made by BioWare, well known for well designed games with addition dialog, however they give you some lean way when it comes to choices. The Tell-tale team dose things different. they make short episode game with story, great dialog, and only give you a limited time for making difficult choices. Those are pretty much their trade marks, I don't those elements will disappear any time soon.

JMOREL posted: »

Well in mass effect there is no dialogue timer, for every dialogue choice the time in the game is stop wile the two character are looking at each other, waiting that you make a decision.

• .....Ya know there's a pause button right?

• The pause button might help but play the game pausing it too often will ruin the experience.

• "It'd be pretty awkward if you didn't say anything for a while while you're moving and some characters are having a conversation with you and you say nothing, then you just randomly say something and the other guy(s) continue(s) the conversation like nothing happened."

You know what would be even MORE weird/awkward? Dying, then being able to load a previously saved game, then continuing as if nothing happened. Its almost as if we are playing a game, rather than living through real life...oh wait! We ARE playing a game lol Who would have thunk it? :D

If I wanted to be rushed into my decisions (Some of the decisions I want in the game are not even an option...so what the fuck?), I would go outside. If youre looking for "realism", then might I recommend you get off your computer and leave the safe confines of your home. Because (and lets be "realistic" here), there is nothing realistic about watching a bunch of pixels dance about while you pretend its actually happening to you. The only time that would be acceptable is if youre on acid. And even then its not really happening.

You want realistic? How about spending a fortune to join an amazing campaign, only to die 5 minutes into it...game over. No "continues", no "restarts"...its over. You dont even get your money back. You die once...thats it. Just like "real life". Sounds fun, doesnt it?

dojo32161 posted: »

It'd be pretty awkward if you didn't say anything for a while while you're moving and some characters are having a conversation with you and

• if you are playing on xbox one you can press the glowy middle button twice and it will pause the game and still allow you to see the choices

• enter image description here

You're 2 years late. The OP isn't even around anymore.

buddhajones posted: »

if you are playing on xbox one you can press the glowy middle button twice and it will pause the game and still allow you to see the choices

• No matter how old the thread is, it's still relevant.

My mother tongue is German. I just can read the answers in time and decide and if the time is too short I rewind. However, not being able to think about my decisions realy reduces immersion. I LOVE the telltale games (Walking Dead 1&2, Wolf Among Us, GoT) and repeatedly played 'em, though that takes away some immersion, I even bought Walking Dead twice, one I got on the PS3 as a birthday gift and one I bought through Steam to have the choices for the second chapter on my PC.

BUT
    as a non-mothertongue-speaker it's sometimes really hard to read all the options and decide. And even IF, I often wished to have time to think about it and just... you know... let it sink... because these decisions seem so important. (I know they often aren't, but Telltale did a good job making them seem that way at least in the first playthrough.)

The other thing is:
    I have a little sister and I'D LOVE to show her the beauty of these games. But it's just not possible. She CAN NOT read in a foreign language THAT fast and she just can not take decisions that fast. It adds nothing to the game but prevents her from playing at all.
    I'd have to take screenshots and pause the game if I want her to experience it.
    That's A SHAME.

An option to remove the timer in dialogues would be just perfect. The ones who want and need pressure can keep it (add some steam achievements to it for god's sake) and we others can de-choose it. Win-Win for everyone.

• I have an extremely similar case to yours. I rly want some mod or something to remove the timer.

Tymalous posted: »

No matter how old the thread is, it's still relevant. My mother tongue is German. I just can read the answers in time and decide and if t

• Press. Space. To. Pause. The. Game. God.

Ayurai posted: »

I have an extremely similar case to yours. I rly want some mod or something to remove the timer.

• This thread was not necrobumped just one, but twice. From 2014! It's early 2018 now, so I wow.

Zoinks. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.