Any votes for nocturnal scenes?

I've said this before, but it needed its own thread; I really hope that TMI will contain a lot of night-life ambiance. I think that dark moonlit settings really set the tone for the MI universe.

My favorite island was Melee (and to a lesser extent, the first island in MI2), due in large part to the brooding and creepy-yet-peaceful nighttime setting. That, combined with the bustling populace, the mysterious "brewing conspiracy", and the occasional surprise scripted event, really provided a sense that something was going on! It felt alive somehow, and gave MI a deeper meaning beyond just the funny jokes.

By comparison, CMI took longer for me to warm up to because it was lighter and more Disney-like in tone. And subsequently, EMI felt like a shallow vehicle for a series of goofy one-liners. Although EMI did re-visit Melee, for some reason my lingering impression is that the overall tone of EMI was charmless, arid, and desert-like. I'm not worried about the TTG designers getting it wrong -- I just hope they don't forget the importance of setting the darkish MI tone.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else get where I'm going with this?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I felt that CMI was too light hearted at first, but I didnt try to disacknowledge changes being made to the franchise. I simply embaraced it and respected it as a new monkey island game with a slighty new approach . I loved blood island from CMI which is noctural . I really liked the dark atmosphere of the first 2 games, also the last. I agree that it really adds to the games. I definately hope that it will not be absent from the new game. I think that the savage and ovbearing nights in these games are essential for creating the disturbing and mysterious/ dangerous atmosphere of pirating.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Though episode 1 is largely at daytime, there are some duskier scenes in it, but we'll definitely be visiting the world of Monkey Island nighttime lighting as the season progresses. What would a Monkey Island game be without it? :)
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    Though episode 1 is largely at daytime, there are some duskier scenes in it, but we'll definitely be visiting the world of Monkey Island nighttime lighting as the season progresses. What would a Monkey Island game be without it? :)

Fantastic. Dramatic dawn, dusk, and nigh-time environmental lighting always works well with the Monkey Island aesthetic, but there's such a thing as overkill.The games take place in the sun-drenched islands of the Caribbean, after all. It can't always be large moons, blue lighting, lanterns and fairy-lights.

Providing the lighting is vibrant and warm, rather than flat and grey, I'll be a happy bunny.
  • edited June 2009
    LukeSW: Yeah, but this is PirateWorld. Don't forget hurricane season too...

Still, there's sunlight and sunlight. Plunder Island in CMI is a good example of a well-lit place that works. And Monkey Island itself exists in perpetual noonday sunlight (except for the Carnival of the Damned), and that works well too. Likewise Phatt and Booty Islands.

Really only Jambalaya and Lucre were bloody overlit.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »

That's really good to hear, and I'm glad you (and others) get how big of a deal that is, and how nocturnal or dusky or even just "tastefully" daylit scenes are part of the MI charm we've all come to know and love.

Anything but the eye-melting brightness of 75% of EMI, which was like getting F*CKED BY A HEADACHE, and didn't feel the least bit piraty (at least in the 'Pirates of the Carrabean' sense). :cool:
  • edited June 2009
    Hopefully with a lot of ambient sounds and background music that would fit the scene :)
  • edited June 2009
    One thing I've loved about the screenshots we have now is the variety. We have so much difference in color without it feeling too "bright" in any particular scene. With Jake's assurance that we're going to see plenty of night scenes as well as the day scenes, I think Tales of Monkey Island may be my favorite of Telltale's series aesthetically.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.