Should I purchase EP1 if I'm new to the series?

How easy is this game to get in to if I've never touched anything relating to the series before?

Comments

• People keep saying you need to watch the show or read the books, but they're wrong. I watch a youtuber who absolutely knows nothing about the series and still enjoyed the game. Only thing you need to study is the language lol. You'll get a feeling who the characters are once you play it. Just like the wolf among us. Some people didn't read the comics but still enjoyed the game. Also Borderlands tall tales is fun even if you haven't played.

If you're into medieval and graphic violence than it's for you...

• You should read the books/ watch the show if you want to understand whats going on. You can still enjoy the game but it will be impossible to know what there taking about half the time if you dont

• edited December 2014

You'll be completely lost about events and the universe people are talking about most of the time. Guess you could still have fun with it but I guarantee it won't be as enjoyable (by a large margin) for someone who isn't familiar with the setting/characters..

• While enjoyable on it's own.

Having read the 1st 3 books* will give a great perspective.
    Or you can go the short route and watch the series.

Lot's of hidden stuff that's cool if your up on the series.

*Arguably, After book 3. The writer decided to extend the series forever and basically writes huge tombs where nothing moves forwards.
    Not just my opinion
    if you go to Amazon and check the stars
    Book 1 - 4.5 Stars with 4% 1 stars
    Book 2 - 4.5 Stars with 2% 1 Stars
    Book 3 - 4.6 Stars with 2% 1 Stars
    Now it disintegrates, Shame on you George R.R. Martin
    for trying to extend the series forever by writing books where
    the action doesn't move forwards.
    Book 4 - 3.8 Stars with 8% 1 Stars
    Book 5 - 3.9 Stars with 9% 1 Stars

• I agree with what others have posted above. You could play it without reading or watching the series, and still enjoy it, but you will miss out on a lot of depth of the story, the content in which things (such as the very first scene of episode 1) occur.

I do think its a good idea to at the very least watch the first 3 seasons, up till the "rains of castamere" episode.

HBO who produce the show are also working in conjunction with telltale to make this game, so there are a LOT of tie-ins with the show

• Yes, you can, but you will miss out on a lot of stuff. I would recommend binge watching the show during the holidays (the show is so good, you will fly right through it) and catching up on Ep.1 before Ep.2 releases.

• If I start to get in over my head in regards to the background story then I may consider watching a bit of the show, or even reading the books (which I own but have never touched). As of right now, being completely new the universe, I need none of these things. It took me a little while to catch onto a few things, but overall I feel like I have a complete understanding of the game's story, and suspect that I will be fine going forward.

• There are certain decisions that without the background of the book you are guessing instead of going on knowledge of the characters.

For example- With the thief, a very powerful part of the 1st book is when Ned Stark punishes a thief and does the beheading himself. So having watched the series you'd know that if you decide on the punishment then it is your duty as a lord to administer it yourself.

Belan posted: »

If I start to get in over my head in regards to the background story then I may consider watching a bit of the show, or even reading the boo

• It kind of sucks if a game requires knowledge no provided in a game in order for it's story to make sense, considering this game focuses on a completely new house, you don't have to read the books or watch the TV show but if you want to understand more about certain characters and events that partake during the game, it will be rather helpful.

• You can get the game, but only if you can take it that so much from the series/books will be spoiled for you when playing the game. (One of the most important events in the movies/series in my eyes atleast takes place in the start of the first episode).

Sign in to comment in this discussion.